September 21, 2014, 04:27:45 AM

Author Topic: Pentax to also use the 24MP Sony FF sensor?  (Read 13255 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Pentax to also use the 24MP Sony FF sensor?
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
Rumors are starting about Pentax also using Sony's 24MP FF sensor in a camera for March 2013.

If Canon can't bring out something with 24MP (or more) before March 2013 then every major camera manufacturer will have a 24MP FF camera except for Canon. Sony (ex Minolta), Nikon and Pentax.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

canon rumors FORUM

Pentax to also use the 24MP Sony FF sensor?
« on: June 17, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Pentax to also use the 24MP Sony FF sensor?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »
Interesting, Pentax K5 is a very nice camera.

This one would be the first FF camera in Pentax's lineup or am I wrong?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
Yes, lets make every camera have identical MP and identical features.  That way, no one will have a choice, and 24mp is so much better than 22 mp.

The idea that 2mp more or less makes a camera company better is not unique, but its not right either. 

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:48:30 AM »
Yes, lets make every camera have identical MP and identical features.  That way, no one will have a choice, and 24mp is so much better than 22 mp.

The idea that 2mp more or less makes a camera company better is not unique, but its not right either.

Well, no need to be so dramatic... sensors are not everything that define the characteristics of an image :)

BTW Pentax is a smaller company than Canikon, it's hard for them to keep the pace in the R&D division.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 01:57:32 AM »
Did Pentax not say that FF is dead, and they're focussing on APS-C and 645D only?
Notice how all their latest lenses have been 'DA' (same as EFs / DX) aps-c only?
Re-launching a Pentax FF DSLR will require a lot of lenses to be launched at once.

Not saying it won't happen, but they've dug themselves into a nice aps-c-sized hole, and it'll take a lot to climb their way out of it to go FF again...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:41:44 AM »
Did Pentax not say that FF is dead, and they're focussing on APS-C and 645D only?
Notice how all their latest lenses have been 'DA' (same as EFs / DX) aps-c only?
Re-launching a Pentax FF DSLR will require a lot of lenses to be launched at once.

Not saying it won't happen, but they've dug themselves into a nice aps-c-sized hole, and it'll take a lot to climb their way out of it to go FF again...

Sigma and Tamron could make for it at the beginning.
I guess Pentax would launch a standard zoom and a couple of primes along with this hypothetical FF.

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:04:48 AM »
they havent any FF lens and co-develop with tokina aps-c lenses from a while...so it's unlikely
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:04:48 AM »

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »
Rumors are starting about Pentax also using Sony's 24MP FF sensor in a camera for March 2013.

If Canon can't bring out something with 24MP (or more) before March 2013 then every major camera manufacturer will have a 24MP FF camera except for Canon. Sony (ex Minolta), Nikon and Pentax.

I'm sure canon will throw a high MP sensor sooner or later. 22MP is just a joke in 2012. Surely canon can make it and once they do, I'm sure many here will start to sing a new tune and suddently, oh MP matters again and it isn't all about taking pictures of a closet with the lights out.

But yeah, canon got caught with their pants down.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:38:02 AM »
http://photorumors.com/2012/06/15/more-pentax-full-frame-dslr-rumors/

The K3 is rumored to have 1080p/60 and 6fps - if this is true, Sony is pushing Canon in a corner by using this 24mp sensors in their own, Nikon and Pentax bodies. Maybe we'll see a Sony sensor in Canon bodies, too?

Of course they said that when they didn't have a ff body. But given the current pixel density on aps-c, ff is the way ahead in for more expensive sensors.

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 12:24:39 PM »
the price for the k-3 in your article is rumored to be 2800usd...i can see canon put in a corner by k-3...lol.

a camera with no lens, and from what i know neither sigma-tamron or other are producing k-Mount ff lenses, but maybe i am wrong
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »
the price for the k-3 in your article is rumored to be 2800usd...i can see canon put in a corner by k-3...lol

Usually gear other than Nikon/Canon is announced at a high price, but even on first sales day it's lower and keeps dropping a *lot*. But you're correct about the lack of lenses, that's why I bought Canon too (and because it runs magic lantern).

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »

I'm sure canon will throw a high MP sensor sooner or later. 22MP is just a joke in 2012. Surely canon can make it and once they do, I'm sure many here will start to sing a new tune and suddently, oh MP matters again and it isn't all about taking pictures of a closet with the lights out.

The D4 and 1D X must be a huge joke then :P.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »

I'm convinced that all this is being driven by review sites to stir up the controversy and thus generate hits on their websites.  The fact of the matter is that DSLRs are now getting so mature that it's difficult to find many major differences between them in every day use.  That's why I think that the reviewers have to latch on to something to differentiate between models and give themselves a raison d'etre. 

The trouble is that Canon are always behind the message that these sites are pushing, it's no longer "lower megapixels for cleaner high ISO" it's "more megapixels doesn't matter because you can downsample images to reduce the noise", with a little "14 stops of dynamic range is the measure of a great sensor".  Or they simply pick whatever message Canon isn't pushing at that moment in time...  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »
Or they simply pick whatever message Canon isn't pushing at that moment in time...  ;)

To be fair, most reviews warmly welcomed the updates on the 5d3 and mostly said it's a great all-around camera. But any review that takes relative price into account (vs. the 5d2 or the competition) might mention the price tag, just like many people in this forum.

But since the sensor is a major component of a digital camera, there's hardly any way to ignore the little improvement after so many years, even if you are very friendly towards Canon. DXO just emphasizes this by putting more weight into the sensor and giving a score to remember.

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 06:33:01 PM »
http://photorumors.com/2012/06/15/more-pentax-full-frame-dslr-rumors/

The K3 is rumored to have 1080p/60 and 6fps - if this is true, Sony is pushing Canon in a corner by using this 24mp sensors in their own, Nikon and Pentax bodies. Maybe we'll see a Sony sensor in Canon bodies, too?

Of course they said that when they didn't have a ff body. But given the current pixel density on aps-c, ff is the way ahead in for more expensive sensors.

Pentax is dead, or rather undead. They are zombies that get older and uglier every day. All jokes aside, no I doubt Canon will be keen enough to use Sony tech for their own bodies. First, it would mean their multi billion dollar R & D was not up to snuff. Second, it would mean layoffs of some sort. Third, it would hurt employee morale. Fourth, investors would look to Sony stock. Fifth, well you get my point. Should Canon do this? Yes, for one or two bodies probably. Will they? Hell to the no. Never.
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 06:33:01 PM »