September 20, 2014, 06:07:34 AM

Author Topic: Pentax to also use the 24MP Sony FF sensor?  (Read 13250 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Pentax to also use the 24MP Sony FF sensor?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 01:36:00 AM »
If pentax really wanted to make a splash all they would need to do is drop the price of the 645D to $5000
since it can use all the legacy pentax 645 film glass it would be pretty good winner. Lack of glass in the 35mm format is a big hurdle for anyone. This is where both Canon and Nikon have a significant advantage over other brands
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 01:36:00 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 02:07:57 AM »
If pentax really wanted to make a splash all they would need to do is drop the price of the 645D to $5000
since it can use all the legacy pentax 645 film glass it would be pretty good winner. Lack of glass in the 35mm format is a big hurdle for anyone. This is where both Canon and Nikon have a significant advantage over other brands

That price would certainly get me looking

I do so much portrait work of different sorts that MF at a sensible price would be well worth the look

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
Goes to show that Sony will sell their sensors to anyone.
Sensor whores, that's what they are!

Just think what would happen if Sony went belly up?
What would Nikon and Pentax do for sensors then?

Personally, I think that the current crop of Canon sensors are excellent.
Sure, some of Sony's sensors may be better in some regards, but Canon's are better in other ways.

While the sensor is certainly important in a camera, there are many more things that are important for serious shooters like lens choices and availability and other accessories like flashes and other bibs and bobs at reasonable prices.
This is where Canon really beats the competition, in their range of lenses and accessories.
That's why Pentaxs don't sell so well. While they are good cameras and well priced, they have a poor range of lenses, and let's face it, it's really the lens that is responsible for at least 50% of the image.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »

BTW Pentax is a smaller company than Canikon, it's hard for them to keep the pace in the R&D division.

Herein lies the rub, in Japan, honor/ corporate ego have high stakes. How can Canon use a Sony Sensor? Well Mighty Sony, the king of TV manufacturers for decades, began a pragmatic approach and used Samsung Panels. If Canon cannot get the DR of Exmor, then it needs to license it from Sony... Drop the ego dribble and give your consumers something to cheer about.

I'm not sure if you've been following the news, but Sony is in dire straights currently.  It even had to resort to laying off people, which is something Japanese companies just don't do.  Sony also has taken a huge hit in the last 5 years in brand image while Canon has not.

The analogy was that companies should cross license technologies to meet their product design goals and not solely rely on in house R&D all the time. Sony was king when it's R&D was working overtime, when it was innovating (like Canon 4 years ago) then it got lazy and started overcharging for it's products (like Canon today), while I hope the paralells end here, it does add value to learn from the mistakes of others.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »
sonys brand hit has come about primarily for the following reasons

1) trying to be an alternative apple with
2) poor implementation,
3) bad product design and
4) over the top prices
5) proprietry stuff that wont play well with others

while apple satisfy items 4 and 5 they nailed 2 and 3 so everyone accepts the high cost, walled gardens and proprietry stuff
APS-H Fanboy

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 07:00:26 AM »
I doubt a mirrorless camera is what Pentax users have been clamouring for. [...] As a side issue, I'm always surprised that Pentax ranks so low in camera sales.  Their products and pricing seem ok.

At the same time, a mirrorless ff would make perfect sense because Pentax didn't make a splash with their traditional dlslrs even if they are good packages like the K-5. So if they cannot compete directly, they are well advised to innovate - and mirrorless is the way ahead, imagine how zebras and focus peaking right in the viewfinder would improve exposure and manual focussing capability.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »
I doubt a mirrorless camera is what Pentax users have been clamouring for. [...] As a side issue, I'm always surprised that Pentax ranks so low in camera sales.  Their products and pricing seem ok.

At the same time, a mirrorless ff would make perfect sense because Pentax didn't make a splash with their traditional dlslrs even if they are good packages like the K-5. So if they cannot compete directly, they are well advised to innovate - and mirrorless is the way ahead, imagine how zebras and focus peaking right in the viewfinder would improve exposure and manual focussing capability.

Judging by today's bit from

http://photorumors.com/2013/04/24/pentax-working-on-a-new-professional-aps-c-based-camera/

The Pentax full frame is to be, "different than anything else available today"

The major qualification for that could be mirrorless...
The K-01 was an interesting beast in many ways, if not the most usable. I certainly have a use for it.
But I think I'd prefer a more conventional FF design from Pentax, I quite like using the K5 IIs and a FF version of that but please, an even better AF system, would be a real treat.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »
ajor camera manufacturer will have a 24MP FF camera except for Canon. Sony (ex Minolta), Nikon and Pentax.

wow.. 2MP that will sure make a BIG difference...  ROTFL.

really i can only laugh when i read such nonsense... i donĀ“t care about 2MP more or less.
nobody will see it.. even pixelpeepers will not notice 2MP more or less.
not on screen... never mention print.

30+ MP is the next step.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
That's why Pentax don't sell so well. While they are good cameras and well priced, they have a poor range of lenses ...

Yes and no.
  • Pentax is virtually unavailable here in South Africa, where they once had the largest share of the market;
  • Pentax has excellent lenses, with the K-mount starting in 1977;
  • Pentax has chosen not to offer 100% support for (2), like Nikon does for the F-mount.
Ricoh-Pentax knows what to do, but they're just too afraid to do it.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »
Rumors are starting about Pentax also using Sony's 24MP FF sensor in a camera for March 2013.

If Canon can't bring out something with 24MP (or more) before March 2013 then every major camera manufacturer will have a 24MP FF camera except for Canon. Sony (ex Minolta), Nikon and Pentax.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I see this thread has come back to life. Regarding the above quote; a friend of mines a divorce lawyer, and he once said to me: "I've never know two people to hate each other as much as those who were once in love".  ;D

I'd be surprised if Pentax did produce a FF dslr because they end up having to drop the retail price of their current Dslr's  so much in order to compete against Nikon/Canon - despite the fact they are (now) excellent cameras.

IMO Sony fouled up when they bought Minolta. If they had bought Pentax, and sold all their Dslr's as
< sony PENTAX > I wonder where Sony/Pentax would be in the Dslr market now. ( any of you guys remember
<asahi PENTAX> ?  :)

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »
Goes to show that Sony will sell their sensors to anyone.
Sensor whores, that's what they are!

That's called business. Personally, I'd love to see what FF Pentax is going to be. Even their crop DSLR are one of the best on the market, their DA lenses are remarkable, and color rendition (especially that of the skin) is one of the best among all DSLR manufacturers. 

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »
Ahh, Pentax. Back in the day, oh never mind nostalgia, but the LX, what a machine.

Anyway, having been a big fan of Pentax 35mm film SLRs, I've been pretty disappointed they've not introduced a full frame digital, maybe soon. As we on this site all know, or should know, rumors are just rumors unless and until they become fact.

Anyway the 2nd, if Pentax isn't going to release a FF DSLR or/and mirrorless, what is the point of this lens?
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/9377
43 mm, FA mount, f/1.9 for $750 USD. Seems Pentax considers it a pretty special product with those specs at that price point.

I've tried to find out if this is an old lens design from way back that I had just not heard about until recently, but I can find nothing much at all about it's history, release date and such.
The only clues I've found regarding it's production age is that it is missing from several, stagnant web pages a few years old indicating to me at least, that it's a fairly recent release.

I only learned that Pentax has a 43 while watching that unimpeachable internet sage, Kai on digitalrevtv in his Canon Shorty Forty review, he said to the effect of, "Canon hasn't had a pancake lens lens, well, since ever. And 43, no one but Pentax has ever had one of those".

Really, what's the point of a Pentax 43 if not for a full frame body and the only full frame Pentax bodies use film?

40 on 6

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »
Anyway the 2nd, if Pentax isn't going to release a FF DSLR or/and mirrorless, what is the point of this lens?
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/9377
43 mm, FA mount, f/1.9 for $750 USD. Seems Pentax considers it a pretty special product with those specs at that price point.

I'm not sure of exact release dates, but the Pentax Limited Edition primes are fairly old, 2000s is, maybe give or take 5 years. They're from film days and were designed as such, at least. I've never used one, but word has it that they're damn nice lenses, $750 seems like a decent price for them, actually. (although the Shorty McFortington at $200 is a lot better value, but not as fast...)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:46 AM »
Pentax touts their in-body IS as a great way to reduce cost of lenses..
but a lot of their lenses are pretty darn pricey and some of them don't test all that well.
OTOH, many of those poor-testing lenses have a really nice character to them and produce terrific images when used properly.
I'm still getting used to the Pentax way of things, being quite new to the brand, but I really like the experience so far and am hoping they will produce a FF within the next couple years.  They're still very tied to the crop body format tho, with a lot of oddball lenses just for that.
That they've kept FF type lenses in production this long is not necessarily an indicator of a FF DSLR but it will certainly help launch one without a lot of extra R&D for glass.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 01:12:54 AM »

That price would certainly get me looking

I do so much portrait work of different sorts that MF at a sensible price would be well worth the look

Great puppy pix.  Is it yours?  White Golden Retriever (aka English Cream?)

Ours is 2 years old

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 01:12:54 AM »