July 18, 2018, 10:18:25 AM

Author Topic: Lens Recomendation for Niagra Falls  (Read 11551 times)

TTMartin

• EOS Rebel SL2
Re: Lens Recomendation for Niagra Falls
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »
I agree with wide, wide, wide.

Leave the telephoto lenses at home!

I'd go with a EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:36:49 PM by TTMartin »
Tom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »

tntwit

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Enthusiastic Amateur
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »

I think wide wide wide is going to make the falls far far far away.  I suppose it depends what you are after and for sure you will want if for some shots.  I think a wide lens and a longer lens would be the way to go.  I'm not familiar with it, but the 24-105 would seem like a perfect range if you wanted just one lens.

Check the website of Rolf Hicker, under the waterfalls link (I didn't know if I could provide a link).  He has a photo of Niagara Falls.  It was shot at 73mm on a 5D III.  This will give you another idea of what lens length will give what perspective.  This is shot from the Canadian side.  Very nice shot, I might add.

60D, 15-85 IS, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 10-20, 70-300 IS Non L, 430EX II, Vanguard GH-100, Panasonic GF3, 14-42, 14 f2.5

Realgeni

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »
That was really a beautiful shot.

So this was taken with a 73 mm? Looks like it covered the entire Horseshoe :)

TTMartin

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »

I think wide wide wide is going to make the falls far far far away.  I suppose it depends what you are after and for sure you will want if for some shots.  I think a wide lens and a longer lens would be the way to go.  I'm not familiar with it, but the 24-105 would seem like a perfect range if you wanted just one lens.

Check the website of Rolf Hicker, under the waterfalls link (I didn't know if I could provide a link).  He has a photo of Niagara Falls.  It was shot at 73mm on a 5D III.  This will give you another idea of what lens length will give what perspective.  This is shot from the Canadian side.  Very nice shot, I might add.

There are a whole bunch of pictures Niagra Falls at http://www.hickerphoto.com/photos/niagara-falls-pictures.htm

None seem to have the focal length or maybe I'm missing it.

I've been to Niagra Falls many times, and I'll tell you it's the big vistas that you want.

What lenses do you already have?
Tom

Realgeni

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »

I have the 28 - 105.

Lookign to rent some wide angel lneses for this.

TTMartin

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »

I have the 28 - 105.

Lookign to rent some wide angel lneses for this.

I would think the 16-35 would be the perfect lens to pair with that.

You have from 16-105mm covered.
Tom

Realgeni

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »

I would think the 16-35 would be the perfect lens to pair with that.

You have from 16-105mm covered.

Agree with yoru suggestion

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Often, wide-wide-wide = boring-boring-boring.  You stand in a spot with a great, wide vista, and you look around and are inspired.  You take a shot with an ultrawide lens to try and capture that vista, and the resulting shot utterly fails to capture your feeling as you viewed the scene, and instead looks flat and uninteresting.

Why?  As tntwit stated, an ultrawide AoV renders even moderately distant subjects tiny and apparently more distant. For an ultrawide shot to have visual impact, you almost always need an interesting foreground element - and with a UWA lens, 'foreground' means within a few feet of the lens. Also, that subject needs to be something that works with the perspective distortion inherent in that situation (usually not a person, as most people don't find exaggeration of their nose/belly/hips to be very flattering). 

There's a good reason the shot you complemented was taken at a short tele focal length.  Not trying to dissuade you from a UWA lens, just saying composing a successful shot with such a lens takes thought and practice - and might be difficult when the most common foreground element you'll run across is a guard rail.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Random Orbits

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
Often, wide-wide-wide = boring-boring-boring.  You stand in a spot with a great, wide vista, and you look around and are inspired.  You take a shot with an ultrawide lens to try and capture that vista, and the resulting shot utterly fails to capture your feeling as you viewed the scene, and instead looks flat and uninteresting.

Why?  As tntwit stated, an ultrawide AoV renders even moderately distant subjects tiny and apparently more distant. For an ultrawide shot to have visual impact, you almost always need an interesting foreground element - and with a UWA lens, 'foreground' means within a few feet of the lens. Also, that subject needs to be something that works with the perspective distortion inherent in that situation (usually not a person, as most people don't find exaggeration of their nose/belly/hips to be very flattering). 

There's a good reason the shot you complemented was taken at a short tele focal length.  Not trying to dissuade you from a UWA lens, just saying composing a successful shot with such a lens takes thought and practice - and might be difficult when the most common foreground element you'll run across is a guard rail.

+1.  But a UWA lens would be a good choice for the Hurricane Deck/Cave of the Winds.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »