November 26, 2014, 01:33:06 AM

Author Topic: ND Filter system for landscape photography question  (Read 6329 times)

Otter

ND Filter system for landscape photography question
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
I am looking at getting a filter system for shooting landscapes.  I was looking at a Cokin filter holder.  I do not know too much about filters to be honest, other then the results look very nice.  I was also looking at Singh-Ray ND filters.  I was unsure what people recommend.  a 4 x 6 or a P series filter?
As well, I heard a good start is to get a 2 stop graduated filter.

Any advice for someone starting out in the filter department?

thanks!  :)

canon rumors FORUM

ND Filter system for landscape photography question
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: ND Filter system for landscape photography question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »
What's the widest angle lens you plan to use with the filter holder?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Otter

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
What's the widest angle lens you plan to use with the filter holder?

I will be using a 16-35 2.8 L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »
Then you'll want 4x6" filters, or Cokin X-Pro.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

iohansen

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »
Have a look at the Hitech 100x150mm graduated filter range (they have both hard and soft).  Would recommend a set of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 (hard or soft) filters. They also have a low profile holder for wide angles, but this has less stacking possibilities than the normal one. They are a bit less expensive than Lee, but more expensive than Cokin (which may not have a complete neutral effect, causing a bit of colour cast in some situations).

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
Have a look at the Hitech 100x150mm graduated filter range (they have both hard and soft).  Would recommend a set of 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 (hard or soft) filters. They also have a low profile holder for wide angles, but this has less stacking possibilities than the normal one. They are a bit less expensive than Lee, but more expensive than Cokin (which may not have a complete neutral effect, causing a bit of colour cast in some situations).

I'm looking at Lee right now.  The system is alittle pricey but from what I've been told, very good.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

stanleykozak

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »
I started using the Cokin Z series grad filters. After a while, I upgraded to Singh-Ray and then changed them all to Lee. Big expensive mistake. I advise is to go straight to the Lee. Basically - Cokin and Singh-Ray filers produce a magenta colour cast, especially when you stack them. So for instance if you stack a grad ND and an ND.

Go with Lee.

Have a look here - these are all taken with Lee filters. http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanleykozak/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »

Jason Beiko

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
The commonly available Cokin P series has a wide angle bracket that I don't believe vignettes on my 16-35. Haven't had a chance to exhaustively test it though.

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 03:10:44 AM »
I really like the Tiffen Water White ND and Grad filters, which seem to have no color casts or IQ degradation.  I buy ND filters one size larger than my lens then use a step-up ring to avoid any vignetting. 

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2010/02/filtration-beware-of-the-reaper-of-cheap-glass/

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 08:54:08 AM »
If you're willing to wait a couple months, I'd recommend the Lee filter system.  You should be able to get the foundation kit and some nice resin ND filters pretty quickly.  But, if you want a 10-stop ND filter, I've been on backorder for 3 months now on the Big Stopper. :(

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
I haven't tried Cokin, Lee, Hitech, etc, but I know some filters can basically kill your image, and that includes some not-so-cheap options. Check my tests here: http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstests/lenstestsn.html

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »
Go Lee.  Grab a foundation kit and I would recommend a slim adaptor ring (for less chance of vignetting on a 16-35).

I've been using them for years and have never been disappointed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
Thanks guys, this is somthing i've been pondering over for a while, and you have provided some useful input...

Though, and please forgive if i'm sounding like a newbe, can't you use multiple exposures and photoshop to simulate a grad ND filter? Thats what i do anyway... Surely that is one of the advantages of digital photography...  take one shot then stop it down as much as you want for a second, then blend in pp? just me 2 pence! :)

That being said i do want a "big stopper" for those water scences where i just cant slow down the shutter enough! :D
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

cezargalang

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »
Thanks guys, this is somthing i've been pondering over for a while, and you have provided some useful input...

Though, and please forgive if i'm sounding like a newbe, can't you use multiple exposures and photoshop to simulate a grad ND filter? Thats what i do anyway... Surely that is one of the advantages of digital photography...  take one shot then stop it down as much as you want for a second, then blend in pp? just me 2 pence! :)

That being said i do want a "big stopper" for those water scences where i just cant slow down the shutter enough! :D

ND grads i think are bought because it helps you reduce workflow, and personally I'd wanna see the output myself then and there. :D

I'm using a .9,.6 SE Lee NDG 100mm filters, they're pretty good, but i dont have the money to buy the holder atm. It's easier to hand hold than the 85mm filters on wide angles. I've also used Hitech ones and they're pretty good too :) For ND's and CPL i use Screw in filters.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »