July 28, 2014, 04:35:30 AM

Author Topic: More 1Dx sample shots now with 500mm F4 L II  (Read 7796 times)

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile

canon rumors FORUM

More 1Dx sample shots now with 500mm F4 L II
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »

nda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: More 1Dx sample shots now with 500mm F4 L II
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »
WOW, download the full res pics they are outstanding!!!
canon stuff...

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »
Lol i've made a copy on my ftp just in case these go missing magically again

but yes not pattern noise what so ever cant see it, same green colour throughout so the wb is spot on for auto - a little soft but i put that down to NR being set to strong in jpeg mode.

over all pretty impressed

with that said - i dont know if anyone else has noticed but the new ud lenses seem to have the same pastel rendered bokeh - its not dreamy at all anymore?

Canon5Dtips

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »
Please dont make copies without asking us first.

Images will not disappear, dont u worry.
U are free to check photos and even more will come. We will test ISO and some more stuff today.
If u have wishes let me know ASAP (before match in 20:45 GMT+2), what would you like to know or see. So we can test it and post.
Thanks.

Tommy.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:42:47 AM by Canon5Dtips »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »
I particularly like the photo where the player in the center, half covered with another player. It shows that the focus is tracking the right subject!

BUT for my taste i feel the noise reduction value you selected is excessive. Clearly visible to me in the crops...

Congrats!

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
Amazing!

I'm sure DxOMark will rate it at an 82, and everyone will say how far behind Canon is in their sensor technology.
Tom

Canon5Dtips

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »
Guys, don't want to spam, but please give me some ideas what to shoot, what would you like to see from 500mm f4L II and 1D X ?

We have couple of ideas what to test, but maybe we missed some, so please give me some hints what to test, ASAP, game starts in 2 hours from now.

With this test we will post RAW pictures as well..

P.S.

Photos on site are without NR (Noise Reduction)
Sharpening is on 4 from possible 7.

We will test whole range of ISO, and on higher ISO we will put NR as well.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:15:10 PM by Canon5Dtips »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 05:30:43 PM »
Guys, don't want to spam, but please give me some ideas what to shoot, what would you like to see from 500mm f4L II and 1D X ?

We have couple of ideas what to test, but maybe we missed some, so please give me some hints what to test, ASAP, game starts in 2 hours from now.

P.S.

Awesome images! How does it handle officials running in front of your lens while tracking a subject? I know it is a late question but maybe you can comment on the responsiveness of the AF. Also, what AF settings are you using to track subjects for soccer? I always keep my 1D4 tracking sensitivity on high. It always seemed like when I locked on a subject it would sometimes be backfocused and then the next several frames would be backfocused on the middle speed but if I turned tracking sensitivity to high the AF would become a bit more jumpy but I would certainly get at least one image out of the sequence in focus.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »
I particularly like the photo where the player in the center, half covered with another player. It shows that the focus is tracking the right subject!

BUT for my taste i feel the noise reduction value you selected is excessive. Clearly visible to me in the crops...

Congrats!
I think it might be JPEG compression, as the large images look to have more detail when viewed at 100%.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Canon5Dtips

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »

P.S.

Awesome images! How does it handle officials running in front of your lens while tracking a subject? I know it is a late question but maybe you can comment on the responsiveness of the AF. Also, what AF settings are you using to track subjects for soccer? I always keep my 1D4 tracking sensitivity on high. It always seemed like when I locked on a subject it would sometimes be backfocused and then the next several frames would be backfocused on the middle speed but if I turned tracking sensitivity to high the AF would become a bit more jumpy but I would certainly get at least one image out of the sequence in focus.

Yes, late question, but AF responsiveness is amazing at least so far, I will check tomorrow all pictures. You can in meanwhile check 400mm f/2.8L USM IS II pictures on Face:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.381382635256360.85413.291398120921479&type=3

Until we write article and all about yesterdays game against Spain.
It will take some time to upload and write, I will let you know.

But so far what I heard, 1D X, is amazing with AF; and speed, ... all settings and rest will be in article, can't tell you more, at this moment.

I hope it will answer some of the questions here.

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:12 AM »

P.S.

Yes, late question, but AF responsiveness is amazing at least so far, I will check tomorrow all pictures. You can in meanwhile check 400mm f/2.8L USM IS II pictures on Face:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.381382635256360.85413.291398120921479&type=3

Until we write article and all about yesterdays game against Spain.
It will take some time to upload and write, I will let you know.

But so far what I heard, 1D X, is amazing with AF; and speed, ... all settings and rest will be in article, can't tell you more, at this moment.

I hope it will answer some of the questions here.

Thanks for posting the links to the photos.  They look great! I definitely look forward to seeing the writeup with details of the AF settings used to capture the images, as well as ISO settings if possible! 

Canon5Dtips

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »
Shots are done, and some tests of cool features of 1D X, .. but you will have to wait little bit more for it.

I will post as soon as RAWs are uploaded and article written. (RAWs are 1.4 GB).

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »
Stunning ISO performance. Perhaps the D4 will have its work cut-out for it in the top tier pro camera range.

This make me want to save more and skip the 5D3 and straight into the 1Dx.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »

Canon5Dtips

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 08:28:45 AM »
 I have photos finally with me, it took some time, cause of size (1.74 GB) they were traveling by regular traffic lines from Ukraine - Poland, instead of internet  So it took some time.

I'm checking what can I get out of this pictures while they upload. They are hand shot pictures, like this one:

NR ON and OFF:
http://www.canon5dtips.com/downloads/1DX-ISO/B57I2739.JPG
(ISO 12.800 - NR OFF - 70-200mm f/2.8L @ 200mm)

http://www.canon5dtips.com/downloads/1DX-ISO/B57I2741.JPG
(ISO 12.800 - NR ON (default settings) -   70-200mm f/2.8L @ 200mm)

I'm adjusting white balance to Auto, instead of As Shot, cause color and WB is not important for this test, trying to crop them to look same, for comparison and online article.

I did request much more from what I got, from first look..  I guess there was no time to play around as much as I hoped. There are no small ISO examples. But I do think it will be enough to see how camera handles High ISO.

I have 80KB/s upload and it will take 6-8 hours to upload all pictures, in meantime I'm checking, and writing article. Will keep you updated, sorry for kept you waiting.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:32:44 AM by Canon5Dtips »

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »
I have photos finally with me, it took some time, cause of size (1.74 GB) they were traveling by regular traffic lines from Ukraine - Poland, instead of internet  So it took some time.

I'm checking what can I get out of this pictures while they upload. They are hand shot pictures, like this one:
http://www.canon5dtips.com/downloads...O/B57I2676.JPG
(ISO 6400 NR-ON) (70-200 mm f/2.8L USM @200mm)

I'm adjusting white balance to Auto, instead of As Shot, cause color and WB is not important for this test, trying to crop them to look same, for comparison and online article.

I still have to figure out, but I think I got it, we have 4 photos with same ISO, 1 is without NR, one is with NR and both in RAW.

I did request much more from what I got, from frist look..  I guess there was no time to play around as much as I hoped. There are no small ISO examples. But I do think it will be enough to see how camera handles High ISO.

I have 80KB/s upload and it will take 6-8 hours to upload all pictures, in meantime I'm checking, and writing article. Will keep you updated, sorry for kept you waiting.

Your link is taking me to a "Sorry, page not found" message. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »