December 19, 2014, 01:53:37 AM

Author Topic: When to get a used 5d2?  (Read 1564 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
When to get a used 5d2?
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:19:03 AM »
In addition to my 60d, I'd like to get a 5d2 for weddings - the 5d3 features for this application and esp. the price don't seem to justify the newer body for me.

If possible, I would like to save some money getting it used - but that doesn't seem to be that easy, there are few offers and the prices at least on ebay (I'm in Berlin/Germany) are not exactly attractive. I'd like to hear your opinions on this:

• Price: Why are they sold near new price - is the demand so high or is the supply so low? If the latter, why - don't people upgrade to the 5d3 at all (do it! :-)), are there not enough 5d3 available yet, are people waiting for the 5d3 price to drop (it won't :-)) or are they simply holding on to their 5d2 bodies as a backup (don't do it :-)) ?

• Time: Do you think the situation will change in the next 1-2 months and more people will start selling their 5d2 camera bodies, possibly resulting in lower prices?

canon rumors FORUM

When to get a used 5d2?
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:19:03 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: When to get a used 5d2?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:45:26 AM »
Well here's the thing.  If you do NOT need it right now, then no, don't do it and wait to see if prices do drop.  The other thing though, you don't want to wait too long because it will most certainly be your primary camera at the weddings and you definitely want to get to know it and how to use it inside and out, and that includes the features AND with your lenses.  If and when Canon puts up the refurb list again, they had them in stock fairly frequently lately at around $1700 US dollars.  In Germany may be a lot different.  My recommendation is to wait a bit and see, as more people buy 5D Mk III's and 1D X's, it could drop.  However it is such a good camera, you're right, many pros are keeping for backup, which I made the mistake of not doing.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
I'd definitely wait to see what happens after Canon does their inventory and puts the refurb cameras back in their store...it might affect prices on some things

As for your question on price, I'd say the cost of the 5dIII is what is keeping the 5dII market afloat. For full-time wedding pro's making really good money, they upgraded to the 5dIII right away for the improved AF and fps. But, for a lot of other users, the cost wasn't worth some of the upgrades. The 5dII was the only affordable full-frame from Canon, so everyone who wanted full-frame got it. Now there are two options, and the cheaper one is gonna be what a lot of people accept unless they need added features.

I don't think you'll see the price of the 5DII drop significantly unless Nikon releases the D600 very soon, or Canon releases a $2000ish 5dII replacement shortly

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »
A very common seller behavior is to start with the price they paid for the item, then mark it down a bit (maybe 20%) and that's the price they list.  The 'problem' (for them, that is) is that the 5DII is still available new, and the price of the new 5DII has dropped relative to what they paid.

Personally, I plan to sell my 5DII after my 1D X arrives, and I know I'll have to drop the price pretty low, even with the grip.  But I also feel like I've gotten great use from it, and I have no plans to keep it as I see no need to have three bodies on hand.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Knut Skywalker

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
As the prices (here in Germany) are stable for months now, I would say: If you need it, get it. I  bought mine like 4 months ago an the prices are still exactly the same (like 1,500-1,600€ for a used one, body only). I dont know the situation on other countries, but i thinks its not that different.
5D Mark II + Grip
50mm 1.4 and 100mm 2.0
430EX II and YN-565EX + 4 YN622c

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:11:39 PM »
I  bought mine like 4 months ago an the prices are still exactly the same (like 1,500-1,600€ for a used one, body only).

... but before I get it for €1600 used, I'll definitely pay €1800 for a *new* one with warranty. I'm amazed people are getting away selling their used bodies for these prices. I know how worn out my 60d is after 80k pictures, and believe me you wouldn't want to buy a used body from me :-)

A very common seller behavior is to start with the price they paid for the item, then mark it down a bit (maybe 20%) and that's the price they list.  The 'problem' (for them, that is) is that the 5DII is still available new, and the price of the new 5DII has dropped relative to what they paid.

Yes, I have made this experience with people selling technology in the past - they don't take into account that the day they buy tech (except lenses) the value drops. But if this is the case, they won't sell it cheaper even if more 5d2 are on the market in 1-2 months.

The other thing though, you don't want to wait too long because it will most certainly be your primary camera at the weddings and you definitely want to get to know it and how to use it inside and out, and that includes the features AND with your lenses.

Thanks, good advice - again! So my current opinion is to wait no more than a month, look at used prices and then decide if to buy it new.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:11:39 PM »