November 27, 2014, 01:47:53 PM

Author Topic: 5D3 mov footage, convert to something for FCPX?  (Read 5103 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
5D3 mov footage, convert to something for FCPX?
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »
Hello all,

I've imported my 'raw' mov footage from my Canon 5D3 onto my macbook  pro.

I have Final Cut Pro x, and from what I understand, I need to convert this footage to some other format, before I can edit it in Final Cut Pro X.

Can someone give me some idea what to do...what to convert it to, how?

Links greatly appreciated, not seeing much yet on my searches....I see something about Pro Res, but not sure how to do that yet...is this a 3rd party utility?

TIA,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 mov footage, convert to something for FCPX?
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 mov footage, convert to something for FCPX?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
You need to convert to prorez to edit, mov files are not edit friendly, but prores is.  After you edit, you will want to save as a player friendly file.

http://prores-aic-converter.com/?tag=transcode-canon-mov-to-prores-codec-on-mac-os-x-lion

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
You need to convert to prorez to edit, mov files are not edit friendly, but prores is.  After you edit, you will want to save as a player friendly file.

http://prores-aic-converter.com/?tag=transcode-canon-mov-to-prores-codec-on-mac-os-x-lion

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Hmm...seems pavtube is a pay for application...is there not something from canon (I've been trying to see if the 'log' plugin Canon offers for FCP will work with FCPX) or something open source that will do this?

I know it sounds cheap after spending $$$$ on a 5D3..but just thinking....it is a codec manipulation, and would think something open source would be available ?

TIA,

cayenne

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:08:42 PM »

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Hmm...seems pavtube is a pay for application...is there not something from canon (I've been trying to see if the 'log' plugin Canon offers for FCP will work with FCPX) or something open source that will do this?

I know it sounds cheap after spending $$$$ on a 5D3..but just thinking....it is a codec manipulation, and would think something open source would be available ?

TIA,

cayenne

Its not likely going to be free, patent licensing fees are involved with mp4 files.  Its worth the $28 to be able to get good results.  It can be much more expensive.  You  can search for a free converter, there may be one.

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »
Download Quicktime Player 7 for free, Open your Footage in it, and press Apple+E for Export, and Export is as a Quicktime Movie using the Pro Res Codec (I usually use Pro Res 422 HQ), then you're ready to edit :)

Like so:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:12:58 PM by samueljay »
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

RichATL

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
I'm a video rookie, but I imported the .mov files in FCPX and didn't have a problem.  I'm sure it's akin to shooting stills in JPEG, but it worked.

https://vimeo.com/42902456
5d3, shot in BW, edited in FCPX from .mov files.

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »
You're right Rich! FCPX can edit 5D footage natively, it was previous versions of Final Cut you really needed to go through the whole transcode process, but it could still help, I'm not sure, I haven't tried X yet!
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »

daveheinzel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • daveheinzel.com
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 12:35:03 AM »
The easiest workflow is to import the .mov files directly into FCPX. On import, you have the option of optimizing media. Check this box. This will transcode (in the background, while you edit) a better version that is faster for editing and better for color correcting. If you really want to do things manually, Compressor has nice array of formats to transcode to.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 12:38:45 AM »
Don't bother transcoding, I've edited 300 music videos in the last 8 months and done extensive testing, there are hardly any differences in performance and no noticeable differences in image quality.  FCPX handles H.264 natively no problem, just import and edit.  Considering you're new to this, I doubt there is anything that you will be doing that would warrant transcoding to Prores.  I'd also uncheck "copy files to final cut events folder," it creates unnecessary duplicates and you can work with the files from their original location instead.

Also, work off an external drive if possible. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:44:17 AM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Tennesseeguy

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:40:30 AM »
Don't bother transcoding, I've edited 300 music videos in the last 8 months and done extensive testing, there are hardly any differences in performance and no noticeable differences in image quality.  FCPX handles H.264 natively no problem, just import and edit.  Considering you're new to this, I doubt there is anything that you will be doing that would warrant transcoding to Prores.  I'd also uncheck "copy files to final cut events folder," it creates unnecessary duplicates and you can work with the files from their original location instead.

Also, work off an external drive if possible.

I do not agree with you. For common MOV files, for example the MOV ripped off DVD on Mac, the FCPX can support them. But some MOV files shot by Canon are encoded in the MXF container and the FCPX can not read this type MOV file ...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:05:48 PM by Tennesseeguy »

paulv1958

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:35:26 AM »
No problems with native 5D footage in fcpx. You do not need to transcode or convert anything. I normally create proxy media as its faster to edit & preview on low end imac. When you create the final footage, it will convert as necessary on the fly to what ever final format you want.

Trevor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Smeaton | Photographer | Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
Can someone give me some idea what to do...what to convert it to, how?

FCPX Does it for you as a background task ...

Look at Preferences | Import - Make sure 'Create Optimized Media' is ticked

You can work away in the foreground and edit your footage while the conversion takes place. It's one of the big improvements over previous versions: all rendering takes place in the back ground and you can carry on working (unless you have a 286 ;-))

Look at : Window | Background Tasks

During an import.

The only downside to the transcoding is the extra disk space used, but you can delete the extra files at the end of the project (they will rebuild if required in the future)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 10:18:24 AM »
I don't use FCPX, still using tape when going to broadcasters and so still on FCP7 with blackmagic card.

I understand that FCPX can handle the movs directly, however should you have any occassion to convert in the future I find MPEGstreamclip a more useful front end to Quicktime, has a handy batch list as well, free from www.squared5.com

Your OS should have QuicktimeX, which like FCPX has divided users, some folk install QT7 as a utility (should be on your OS Snow Panther or OS Lion discs if it isn't already installed) although you will still need a pro license for QT7 (you used to get this when installed compressor as part of FCS suite- worth checking- compressor is a handy app! not part of FCPX, inexpensive to buy from app store though)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 10:18:24 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »
I do not agree with you. For common MOV files, for example the MOV ripped off DVD on Mac, the FCPX can support them. But some MOV files shot by Canon are encoded in the MXF container and the FCPX can not read this type MOV file ...

Did you seriously create a new account to post completely inaccurate information?  Based on your comments you would think you've never used a DSLR or FCPX.   If it were 6 months ago you'd be right about .MXF files not playing well with FCPX, but the most recent update added support for it.  Aside from that, the only Canon camera I've messed with that shoots .MXF is the C300, but all Canon DSLR's shoot standard H.264 .MOV files so whether or not FCPX supports .MXF files is completely irrelevant (and completely wrong).

Almost every single project I've edited in the last year (and I've literally done hundreds of them) was shot with 5DII/5DIII/7D and every time I used the files straight off of the card and have had ZERO issues.  Initially I was letting FCP "optimize media" and there was a slight difference in export time but that's about it.  Why waste the space and bog down the computer initially if it's not going to make any difference?  For certain projects I'll use Premiere, but even that supports H.264 natively.  The only time I convert to Prores anymore is when I'm doing stuff in After Effects.

Not that it matters (since DSLR's don't shoot .MXF), but you had to bring up more wrong information on MXF files, so here you go:
From an excerpt about FCPX's most recent update:
"In addition to multichannel audio editing tools and dual viewers, Apple also said that it would add MXF plug-in support and RED camera support. The new features were listed by Apple, but none of them were demoed.

The new MXF support will allow users to access the native MXF wrapper that contains those files without a conversion. Previously, users were able to read MXF files, but not the native wrapper.

And the addition of support for RED cameras means that users will not need to convert footage to QuickTime in order to edit it. Instead, RED content will be editable natively in Final Cut Pro X."

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:35:44 AM by Axilrod »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
I don't use FCPX, still using tape when going to broadcasters and so still on FCP7 with blackmagic card.

I understand that FCPX can handle the movs directly, however should you have any occassion to convert in the future I find MPEGstreamclip a more useful front end to Quicktime, has a handy batch list as well, free from www.squared5.com

Your OS should have QuicktimeX, which like FCPX has divided users, some folk install QT7 as a utility (should be on your OS Snow Panther or OS Lion discs if it isn't already installed) although you will still need a pro license for QT7 (you used to get this when installed compressor as part of FCS suite- worth checking- compressor is a handy app! not part of FCPX, inexpensive to buy from app store though)

You're right about that Paulie, if you must transcode MPEGstreamclip is much faster.  I do miss FCP7 sometimes, after using that interface for almost 10 years it was hard making a change.  But for the majority of the projects I do (3-4 cameras with separate audio) FCPX is more than enough.  The fact that FCP7 uses a max of 2.5GB of RAM just kills me, I would have been thrilled if FCPX had just been a 64-bit version of FCP7, but FCPX has grown on me.  I hated it at first like everyone else, but instead of ditching it I gave it a chance once you get used to it it's insane how much faster everything is (I can edit 6-8 music vids in the same amount of time it took me to do 2-3 in FCP7).   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »