August 01, 2014, 10:58:50 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"  (Read 86761 times)

lundstrom.emil

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Imaginize.net
Canon 5DMK3 / Canon 100mm f/2.8  IS / Sigma 50mm f/1.4 /  Canon 40mm f/2.8 / Canon 24-70 f / 2.8 MK2 / Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 MK2

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM "Pancake"
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2012, 08:14:51 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wellfedcanuck/8175099932#
I bought the shorty-40 last night. After owning a Rebel XT for 7 years, this is my first "real" lens and my question will betray my complete lack of photographic ability, but what the heck...

I'm seeing a lot more moire than I ever noticed with the kit lens. This shot above at f2.8 is actually the best of the lot, the worst seems to be at f10. Is this poor technique on my part or is it a limitation of the camera?

its more to do with the camera sensor, since the lens is sharper though moire will show up more easily whereas with softer lenses the softness masks it a bit
LR has a great brush option for cleaning up moire which is a godsend for runway and fashion festivals where fabrics can occassionally cause havock with moire
APS-H Fanboy

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »
I bought the shorty-40 last night. After owning a Rebel XT for 7 years, this is my first "real" lens and my question will betray my complete lack of photographic ability, but what the heck...

I'm seeing a lot more moire than I ever noticed with the kit lens. This shot above at f2.8 is actually the best of the lot, the worst seems to be at f10. Is this poor technique on my part or is it a limitation of the camera?

its more to do with the camera sensor, since the lens is sharper though moire will show up more easily whereas with softer lenses the softness masks it a bit
LR has a great brush option for cleaning up moire which is a godsend for runway and fashion festivals where fabrics can occassionally cause havock with moire

Thanks very much for the answer, WW. Shooting photos of the siding on my house didn't help.  ;D  I'm planning on purchasing the 6D, so this will provide (I hope) a huge improvement. The 40mm was on sale for $180, so I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make with my XT. Now I'm seeing things in a way I never did before.

BTW, I know most of you guys use LR. I own a copy of PSElements, which, as far as I know- should do everything LR can do, right?
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »

Thanks very much for the answer, WW. Shooting photos of the siding on my house didn't help.  ;D  I'm planning on purchasing the 6D, so this will provide (I hope) a huge improvement. The 40mm was on sale for $180, so I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make with my XT. Now I'm seeing things in a way I never did before.

BTW, I know most of you guys use LR. I own a copy of PSElements, which, as far as I know- should do everything LR can do, right?

not sure if elements has that brush option i would think there is something its probably just not as easy and fast to use, you could look into the student version of LR they are pretty cheap if you know any students that wanna help you out
APS-H Fanboy

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2012, 06:23:53 AM »
not sure if elements has that brush option i would think there is something its probably just not as easy and fast to use, you could look into the student version of LR they are pretty cheap if you know any students that wanna help you out
As a matter of fact- I know 3 whose need for braces, piano lessons and ski equipment has had a seriously negative effect on my camera budget.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2012, 10:07:47 AM »
I'm planning on purchasing the 6D, so this will provide (I hope) a huge improvement.

Dou mind gifting me your old XT so i can gift it to my fiance`?

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »
I took this selfie using the "clap" remote release in Magic Lantern and the pancake (f/5.6)

In My Natural Habitat by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »
We've recently purchased a 40mm pancake for Building Panoramics, so I'm posting the first two pictures that I took with it. I should mention that the camera was accidentally set on jpeg only, so they haven't taken too well to pulling the data about. I've had some pretty derogatory comments about leaving the red in the flowers, but I like it so here it is:
This 40 is really very good, very sharp, great colour and contrast in the centre at 2.8, and maybe this helps create a beautiful brokeh effect - better I think than photozone gave it credit for.
Ever since my film shooting days, when I used Nikon, I always found that slower lenses with smaller objective lenses produced a better image. One of my early cameras was a Nikon FM and it came with a 50mm f2 - sold as such to keep the price closer to the Pentax MX/ME and Olympus OM1. I never appreciated how good that lens was until I saved up to get a "better" 50 f1.4, and boy was I disappointed ! I believe that that 50 f2 ( which I still have ) was basically a pancake design fitted into the f1.8/f1.4 body.
I know there has been a lot of dismay at the high prices of some of the new Canon lenses, but IMHO this 40 is a gift from Canon. I'd recommend everyone get one !
Some may be interested to know that Warfleet Cove at Dartmouth, England, is so called because legend has it that this is where the ships gathered before sailing of on the Crusades - about 1200AD.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2012, 04:57:36 PM »
First Ring shot with the 40mm Pancake with 12mm Tube. Its not perfect and i plan to use live view for better macro accuracy but its nice.
I did a little processing to the dress and flower shot too so maybe you like it maybe you don't but the 40 did a nice job @ F2.8.

Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Scarpz13

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
All this wonderful shots have convinced me to make this little economical guy my next lens purchase... for around $150 bucks it looks like a great value.

Has anyone here found the need for the hood? it seems kind of useless... is there a hood from another lens that might work/function here?

And how about a carrying/protective case? Do most of you just stick this in your bag, or is there a need for some kind of pearstone/case etc?

thanks!!
5D MkIII  |  60D  |  EF 17-40 F4L |  EF 24-105 F4L IS  | EF 70-200 F4L IS  | EF 40 f/2.8  |  EF 50 f/1.4 |  EF 85 f/1.8  | 580EX II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
Has anyone here found the need for the hood? it seems kind of useless... is there a hood from another lens that might work/function here?

And how about a carrying/protective case? Do most of you just stick this in your bag, or is there a need for some kind of pearstone/case etc?

No point in the hood, at all.  I worked out the geometry some time back, and the dedicated hood for the 40/2.8 doesn't actually provide any optical benefit, from what I can tell.  It's too shallow to protect even a 14mm prime from flare.  Since it screws onto the extending front element, 'protection' is questionable, too.

The ES-62 hood (for the 50/1.8) with it's 52mm threaded adapter will fit on the 40/2.8.  It's much deeper, and reportedly doesn't vignette, but would likely provide some flare protection.

The 40/2.8 fits nicely in a Lowepro 8x6 case, but I just put it in my bag or more often, my pocket.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »

thanks!!

I got a cheapie Matin neoprene case off Ebay that is nice for it because it will clip onto my belt or harness if I want to take it along in the field.  It also provides some decent protection and cost me under $5 shipped.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »
First Ring shot with the 40mm Pancake with 12mm Tube. Its not perfect and i plan to use live view for better macro accuracy but its nice.
I did a little processing to the dress and flower shot too so maybe you like it maybe you don't but the 40 did a nice job @ F2.8.
I like the concept of the rings shot. Very elegant. I have a question. Three people got married? ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »
I like the concept of the rings shot. Very elegant. I have a question. Three people got married? ;)

Been married?  ;)

Common custom is an engagement ring for the bride (the one with the larger gemstone), then wedding rings for both. At least, that's how my wife and I did it, 20 years ago next June - doesn't look like things have changed much.  :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »

Been married?  ;)
Oh yeah! Almost three decades now :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »