August 30, 2014, 02:13:13 AM

Author Topic: Canon's Mirrorless Entry  (Read 14600 times)

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's Mirrorless Entry
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »
Proof is in the pudding - pancake 40mm points towards a bigger sensor (and no new mount?)...
Except why would they release a lens for a system before the system is even announced? You think they have 3 other pancake lenses lined up for a mirror less EF system?

The pancake 40mm points to Canon wanting an f/2.8 prime with the silent autofocus motor at a price that Rebel users would purchase.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:37 PM »
I fully expect the lowest possible consumer-crappy mirrorless camera from Canon.
It will be a G1X with a lens mount and possibly a sorry little EVF instead of the G1X's sorry little OVF.
The lenses will be three sorry crappy kit lenses, a 28-90 equivalent f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom, a slow 40mm pancake of some sort and a slow tele zoom.

Autofocus will be dead slow like on the G1X. It will not have the hybrid FPPD-AF + CD-AF of the 650D.
fps and operational speed will be dead slow. The thing will suck in every possible way and still cost as much as a 60D.

I really hate them for it already in advance.

Instead of pouring your hate into every thread why not have a more objective approach backed up with some real experience/evidence instead of just malicious rumour and gueswork?

Wild

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Born to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 12:02:31 AM »
I fully expect the lowest possible consumer-crappy mirrorless camera from Canon.
It will be a G1X with a lens mount and possibly a sorry little EVF instead of the G1X's sorry little OVF.
The lenses will be three sorry crappy kit lenses, a 28-90 equivalent f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom, a slow 40mm pancake of some sort and a slow tele zoom.

Autofocus will be dead slow like on the G1X. It will not have the hybrid FPPD-AF + CD-AF of the 650D.
fps and operational speed will be dead slow. The thing will suck in every possible way and still cost as much as a 60D.

Instead of pouring your hate into every thread why not have a more objective approach backed up with some real experience/evidence instead of just malicious rumour and gueswork?

+1

Sure some people have been a bit disappointed by their latest releases, but that doesn't mean you can't have some hope for something awesome on the horizon  :D

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 12:12:52 AM »

+1

Sure some people have been a bit disappointed by their latest releases, but that doesn't mean you can't have some hope for something awesome on the horizon  :D
Kinda hard to have hope after the 5D3 sensor, and now this.

But yeah, otherwise I agree with you.

maxxevv

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 12:14:01 AM »

That's so true indeed.

BT topic.

I think this would make sense that they are looking at an 'entry' MIL camera with the G1X sensor. It has the right attributes that an P&S upgrader would want.

i) It has proven to take really good quality pictures on the G1x.
ii) Its aspect ratio would allow for really compact lenses. Probably something not much larger than what we see on the G1x for the same aperture and focal length range.
iii) It would keep the costs of such a system down, thus more attractive to P&S upgraders.
iv) Its 'upward compatible' with EF mount as well as EF-S lenses. In short make a good back-up camera/secondary travel camera for people who already own EF / EF-S glass with an adaptor.
v) It leaves room for the APS-C sensors of the DSLR cameras.
vi) It leaves room for a separate line of MIL cameras that clearly differentiates itself in the market. Which Canon has tried and proven quite a few times in history. Such as the original Rebel, the 5D, the G1x, the G-series powershots.  Possibly an APS-H or even FF MIL camera if they determine there is strong enough a demand for them down the line.

Of course, many of us on this forum would want something that's of higher specifications but economically, its not really so viable for Canon if the market for something 'higher end' is not deemed to be strong enough at the moment.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 12:16:48 AM »
um whats wrong with the 5Dmk3 sensor? other than not being eleventy billion pixels
APS-H Fanboy

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 12:32:03 AM »
um whats wrong with the 5Dmk3 sensor? other than not being eleventy billion pixels
A bit off topic, but let's see now.

* Yes, no bump in resolution.
* Almost no improvement in dynamic range (no improvement at all @ lower ISO settings).
* Canon failed to completely fix the issue with banding.
* The only strength 5D3 sensor has over the 5D2 is in the extreme ISO settings. (which I never use anyway).

Nikon on the other hand, they did all of it and then some!

I am not saying that the 5D3 is a bad camera, but people upgrading from 5D2 to 5D3 are basically paying $3500 for upgraded (fixed) AF, built in HDR and a rate button.

The sensor is just meeh..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 12:32:03 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »
Well let's see now.

* There were no bump in resolution.
* Almost no improvement in dynamic range (no improvement at all @ lower ISO settings).
* The only strength 5D3 sensor has over the 5D2 is on the extreme ISO settings. (which I never use anyway).

I am not saying that the 5D3 is a bad camera, but people upgrading from 5D2 to 5D3 are basically paying $3500 for upgraded (fixed) AF, built in HDR and a rate button.

so you own one do you? or are you just regurgitating the tired old internet waffle that is continuously being regurgitated as absolute fact?
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 12:42:04 AM »
A bit off topic, but let's see now.

* Yes, no bump in resolution.
* The only strength 5D3 sensor has over the 5D2 is in the extreme ISO settings. (which I never use anyway).

The sensor is just meeh..

I think your analysis of the 5DIII is rather like saying a D800 is an upgrade of a D700 - totally off mark.

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 12:47:55 AM »
Well let's see now.

* The only strength 5D3 sensor has over the 5D2 is on the extreme ISO settings. (which I never use anyway).

so you own one do you? or are you just regurgitating the tired old internet waffle that is continuously being regurgitated as absolute fact?
::)

Lack of arguments huh? Don't know what to say in defense? I can see why, because there is nothing to say.

No, of course I do not own a 5D3. Why would I?

However, I have tried it, and my conclusion is the same as most other's (except the hardcore fanboys). The 5D3 is a good camera, just like the 5D2, but with no sensor improvement. It pales in comparison to the main competitions latest offering (the D800).

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 12:49:30 AM »
Well let's see now.

Lack of arguments huh? Don't know what to say in defense? I can see why, because there is nothing to say.

No, I do not own a 5D3. Why would I?

However, I have tried it, and my conclusion is the same as most other's (except the hardcore fanboys). The 5D3 is a good camera, just like the 5D2, but with no sensor improvement. It's sensor pales in comparison to the main competitions latest offering (the D800).

I think your analysis of the 5DIII is rather like saying a D800 is an upgrade of a D700 - totally off mark.
Nope. The D800 is the true successor of the 5D2. Too bad it has a Nikon-badge on it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:51:39 AM by Ricku »

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:11 AM »
New mount? Small sensor?

EPIC FAIL!

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:29 AM »
Well let's see now.

No, of course I do not own a 5D3. Why would I?

However, I have tried it, and my conclusion is the same as most other's (except the hardcore fanboys). The 5D3 is a good camera, just like the 5D2, but with no sensor improvement. It pales in comparison to the main competitions latest offering (the D800).
why not take your black and gold pom poms and head on over to nikon rumours instead of trolling about here with canon users and our inferior camera who are clearly incapable of producing the wonders that can come from the D800  ::)
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:29 AM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 12:58:19 AM »
why not take your black and gold pom poms and head on over to nikon rumours instead of trolling about here with canon users and our inferior camera who are clearly incapable of producing the wonders that can come from the D800
Thank you for strengthening my distaste in narrow minded fanboys. You do see everything in black and white, don't you?

Everyone who doesn't love Canon's latest camera must be a Nikon troll, right?  ::)

briansquibb

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
why not take your black and gold pom poms and head on over to nikon rumours instead of trolling about here with canon users and our inferior camera who are clearly incapable of producing the wonders that can come from the D800
Thank you for strengthening my distaste in narrow minded fanboys. You do see everything in black and white, don't you?

Everyone who doesn't love Canon's latest camera must be a Nikon troll, right?  ::)

I appreciate balanced and logical discussion but to make the comment

Kinda hard to have hope after the 5D3 sensor,

does rather make it sound like there IS a problem with the 5D3 sensor ie a fact

If instead you had said something along the lines of

"The 5DIII sensor appears to have fallen behind the D800 sensor" then that would have been a valid opinion

Personally I dont care what camera anyone has - I have switched before and I will again if there is a valid reason.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »