September 20, 2014, 10:33:43 PM

Author Topic: Canon's Mirrorless Entry  (Read 14847 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon's Mirrorless Entry
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »
Just a little bit of information out there
There isn’t a lot of technical information floating around about Canon’s mirrorless entry.

We’re getting more and more information that the announcement will be coming sometime in the next 30 days, but no solid date has been nailed down. Original estimates pegged an announcement in June, however Canon announcements move around pretty frequently.

Some technical stuff
We’ve heard only little bits of info about the mirrorless camera. The most notable is mentions that it will use the same sized sensor as the G1 X, and maybe even the exact same sensor. There has been no mention of the mount for the camera, that’s probably the biggest question surrounding it.

We’ve been told it will be launched with 3 lenses, which tells me we’re looking at a new mount. I don’t doubt there will be some way to make the camera compatible with at least EF lenses, and maybe EF-S as well.

It’s also been mentioned on more than one occassion, that this initial mirrorless announcement will be the “consumer” level camera and there are plans for “prosumer” and “professional” models.

I do expect  more to come out in the coming weeks.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon's Mirrorless Entry
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Canon's Mirrorless Entry
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
Let the gnashing of teeth begin.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
Honestly?

Thanks to the Shorty McForty, I have no interest in a mirrorless camera.

b&

Frankie T Fotografia

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »
I'm interested. Might be a good choice for travel.
5D Mk III, 7D, 24 L II,  50 L, 135 L, 180 Macro L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, five 600EX-RT, 1.4x Mk III, 2x Mk III

dtameling

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »
I think it could be a consumer smash success if it can compete with and trump the Nikon small ONE cameras. I'm still holding out for the pro versions...there's still hope. If they have the smaller sensor as well, I won't be buying. Adapter or not, that's too much crop factor to be practical and yet another set of measurements for crop factor, DOF, FOV, etc.

I'd love for everything in my bag to be Canon but while Canon plays the game carefully, my NEX-7 is becoming an every day go-to camera along side or instead of my 7D and the FS100 is looking like a better investment every day. I love my L glass but I like not having to carry it just as much and nobody I shoot for has noticed the difference between the EF 50mm f/1.4 and my old Nikon 50mm f/1.4.

Going small has extinguished all flame I was holding for the 5D mkIII...I'm starting to see why so many die hards still rock Leicas.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
I was hoping for FF or APS-C size and can be used with current EF "L" lenses - NOT 1.5" (18.7 x 14 mm). I'll carry my s100 instead 

Also, I have ZERO interest to buy more lenses that can only be used with mirrorless.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:54:06 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
We’ve heard only little bits of info about the mirrorless camera. The most notable is mentions that it will use the same sized sensor as the G1 X, and maybe even the exact same sensor.

And there we have it! This is exactly what I predicted a couple of weeks ago! Yet another let down down from Canon is on the horizon.

I guess the only way to get a mirrorless camera with FF is to dish out out $7000 - $8000 for the Leica M9, or the upcoming M10.

Dear Canon, why have you ceased to innovate and amaze?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:44:42 PM by Ricku »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
Darn it Canon! you have disappointed me again! APS-C or larger!

VirtualRain

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
I don't understand how this would be appealing to anyone.  One advantage Canon has over most others is their amazing EF and EF-S lens selection.  To start from scratch with a whole new mount does not help differentiate them at all.
Canon 5D Mark III, 35L, 85L, 24-105L, 70-300L

crazyrunner33

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »
[
And there we have it! Yet another let down down from Canon is on the horizon.

I respectfully disagree, this is the perfect rival for the GH2.  These will be perfect for consumers and can potentially win back the video market if they can abandon line skipping and down sample the sensor like the 5D Mark III and GH2.  Also with the small sensor size it'll probably allow a short flange distance and then allow people to ruse their old lenses including FD lenses. 

The different mount shouldn't matter as long as if Canon includes an EF adapter which wouldn't be difficult to do. The Black Magic has a slightly smaller sensor than the GX 1 and comes with an EF mount adapter.

SpareImp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 04:56:07 PM »
I’ve heard a lot of good things about the G1 X. If the mirrorless camera has the exact same sensor, what would persuade you to buy the mirrorless instead of the G1 X? Stylish design, a better viewfinder and battery? What makes it worth a possible substantial investment in new lenses? I’m a bit lost.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see, as well as hope for better news.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
I guess the only way to get a mirrorless camera with FF is to dish out out $7000 - $8000 for the Leica M9, or the upcoming M10.

But why on Earth would anybody buy one of those when you could instead get a 5DIII with a Shorty McForty? You get a far better camera for half the price, one that's not much bigger, and that oh-by-the-way can mount nearly any 135-format lens ever made. Plus, it's got a real viewfinder.

b&

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »
Darn it Canon! you have disappointed me again! APS-C or larger!

Agree 100%, and Canon has been running a pretty good streak of disappointing us of late. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
Mirrorless cameras are a path upward for point and shoot users, not for DSLR users.   Sales are shifting from P&S to Mirrorless and DSLR sales is also growing.

I'm sure that there will be a adapter that lets a photographer use EF & EF-S lenses if wanted, but the whole point is to make a small interchangable lens camera, not one that needs EF lenses and is DSLR sized.

If it were a FF mirrorless camera that was compatible with EF lenses, it would be about the size of a current FF dslr, but without a optical viewfinder.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
I was hoping for FF or APS-C size and can be used with current EF "L" lenses
Canon makes a whole line of cameras that can do that...the T4i, the 60D, the 7D, the 5dII, 5dIII, and soon, the 1DX.

If you wanted the DSLR capabilities in a mirror less sized body (like, Sony NEX size), you're dreaming. For one, the EF mount alone would make the mirror less camera the size of a T4i. The sensor would cause the same effect. Canon hasn't sized the Ti camera's up, thats about as small as they can reasonably make an APS-C sized sensor with EF mount.

While there could be some other nice features from mirror less, I haven't seen anything from the current crop (better AF, better frame rate, better video, etc) that would make me drop my DSLR and switch. And I don't expect Canon to be the one to get their first

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »