October 30, 2014, 02:45:03 PM

Poll

....would you describe yourself as?

An APS-C user looking to upgrade to full-frame
39 (54.9%)
A full-frame user that still finds the price too expensive
15 (21.1%)
A multi-sensor (1.6, 1.3, and/or FF) format user that still finds the price too expensive
17 (23.9%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Follow-up poll: If you're not buying a 5D3 due to price....  (Read 7368 times)

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
Re: Follow-up poll: If you're not buying a 5D3 due to price....
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:36 AM »
After using Canon for 30+ years, I am seriously considering switching to Nikon. Canon is overpricing their products. Name alone is not going to get me to pay more for something equal to or less than what the competition offers.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:36 AM »

Ayelike

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:49 AM »
I got a 5D3 at the weekend. I was travelling to Europe to visit a friend anyway so picked it up there to save over £300 from the UK price.

It's still an expensive bit of kit at £2600 but I've been waiting for this camera for over a year and I wasn't about to let another year pass waiting for a possible entry level full frame or 7D2 and sticking with a crop. You only live once!

Putting the money into it has made me determined to master the camera and attempt to make some money out of photography. I'm hoping this step up raises my game.

It's worlds apart from my 450D - I'm no longer scared of poor light conditions with or without a flash.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
Being an amateur 5D Mark II user that uses the camera mostly for landscapes I find the 5D mark III not worth the money at all.

Apart from the obvious improvements in AF, fps and (less so in) noise I think it has introduced some drawbacks too.

1. Not an easily user replaceable screen! What were they thinking? They could have used the same screens as in 5D Mark II and let people use third party if they desire so. For example I use Canon's grid screen for now.

2. Unless someone convinces me otherwise I suspect it has stronger AA filter hence the problems in all but Canon software and the recent corrections in Canon's DPP.  But adding PP sharpening does not seem the same as being sharp in the first place.

3. No Magic Lantern (for now)... OK this is not Canon't fault obviously but I mentioned it for completeness...

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
I use crop and FF bodies. Both are great at what they do, but 3500$ for a 5D3 plus the support it will need will be too expensive for me to justify over my aging, die hard, 5Dc.

5D3 - 3500$
Windows 7 Pro retail - 250$
RAM to run Win7 - 200$
Lightroom 4 to process RAW files - 150$

Total for moving to a 5D3
4100$ + Tax.

Ouch. Too much $$$$ for what i offers compared to just 1700$ for a MK2.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »
So much for my theory. Looks like the poll results are split right down the middle.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 04:57:36 PM »
So much for my theory. Looks like the poll results are split right down the middle.

not surprising to me ... the 5D 3 is too expensive for what it is .. unless you earn money with it and have enough money to start with. :-) 

briansquibb

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »

not surprising to me ... the 5D 3 is too expensive for what it is .. unless you earn money with it and have enough money to start with. :-)

That is a big presumption that users are going to be pros

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »

I guess that's the next poll...

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »

Of course non-pros will buy as well. But the pool of pure hobbyists willing and able to plonk down 3.5k for a body alone is limited ... especially if a better camera is available for 2.8k from the competition.

Pro's are often somewhat more "looked in" by sizeable investments in glass, speedlites etc. and with regards to the cost of a major change in their workflow.  SO to them 3.5k vs. 2.8k is a comparatively smaller issue. 

JerryB

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
I was lucky.  A friend sold me his for 3100.  It's an expensive camera.  I also own a 5dm2 which I'm keeping.  It takes great photos.  As a photojournalist, I need a second camera.  If I didn't need the faster focus and the low light, I would not have bought it.  A salesman once told me that Canon likes the higher prices as a way to separate "pro" photographers form amateurs,  U don't know if that is true but you do have to wonder.  I was luck to find a deal; otherwise, I would have purchased another 5dm2.

crasher8

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 05:47:01 PM »
I just voted, did that take away or add to this poll's suckiness?

briansquibb

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 06:24:08 PM »

Of course non-pros will buy as well. But the pool of pure hobbyists willing and able to plonk down 3.5k for a body alone is limited ... especially if a better camera is available for 2.8k from the competition.

I would think hobbyists are less likely to swap because of the implications on changing the rest of their kit.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »
I would think hobbyists are less likely to swap because of the implications on changing the rest of their kit.

most hobbyists I know - including many with a 5D 2 - own not more than 2, max. 3 lenses (kit + telezoom and/or portrait fixed focal) and possibly (!) one Speedlite. For many of them switching to another camera supplier is not really a hard decision.  Pro's typically do own much more and more expensive gear plus are quite dependent on their in-depth experience using it plus their established workflows as well as factors like good contacts with CPS (or NPS on the Nikon side) ... for many of them a whole lot tougher to change horses mid-race. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »
I just voted, did that take away or add to this poll's suckiness?

No, it would have sucked either way ;D

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »
most hobbyists I know - including many with a 5D 2 - own not more than 2, max. 3 lenses (kit + telezoom and/or portrait fixed focal) and possibly (!) one Speedlite. For many of them switching to another camera supplier is not really a hard decision.  Pro's typically do own much more and more expensive gear plus are quite dependent on their in-depth experience using it plus their established workflows as well as factors like good contacts with CPS (or NPS on the Nikon side) ... for many of them a whole lot tougher to change horses mid-race.

It's tough to generalize like that. I know lots of pros whose gear is limited to a primary body, a backup body, and 3-4 zooms. Some might only have 2-3 zooms along with a couple of fast primes. It's true that they make their money with their gear, but I don't know a lot of rich, full-time photographers. I depends what type of pro you're talking about, too. Sports photogs might have a ton of gear, as you suggest, but a photojournalist or wedding photog might be limited to a small handful of zooms and primes. Hobbyists, on the other hand, cover the gamut from a soccer mom with a kit lens to people with loads of disposable income with several Pelican cases full of gear.

You do make some good points about pros being less likely to switch. For one, a lot of pros are out of touch in terms of the latest and greatest gear on the market. A lot of pros look at me like I'm crazy when I mention the strides Nikon has made in the last 4-5 years, and how they're putting out an outstanding product line now. Plus, as you suggest, familiarity with a system is very important as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »