July 24, 2014, 12:11:31 PM

Author Topic: No Focusing Screens for 5D MIII?  (Read 17874 times)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: No Focusing Screens for 5D MIII?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »
Oh well, just pulled the trigger on the KatzEye for my 7D. Got the split prism with Plus, Optibrite for the edges, and Portrait crop-lines for the hell of it.
Just a smidge under $250 shipped to Aus, but the $US is so low these days it's cheaper once converted to real money. (Actually, my FL 55 f/1.2 cost less).

I'll let you guys know how well it works in a few weeks when I get it. I'll presume they're also planning on making the same for the 5D3, it won't be any harder to install than the 7D version...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »

tt

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
this is really starting to bother me..  I don't do a ton of MF but I like to see the DOF of my ridiculously priced L primes, and I hate the 1 series form factor..

I wonder what Jeff Ascough thinks of this.. I read that he MF a lot, and he uses the 50L... Maybe Canon will make a special 5D3 just for him...

I'm not sure what he uses day to day, but at Focus he mentioned using the 24-70 I, a 135mm and sometimes when needed a 70-200mm.

I think that wedding photographers with a style that uses primes will have a lot to weigh in about the lack of focusing screen. If the focus works, ok, but if not, and it's much harder to MF (and also when doing video), then it makes it pretty hard for shallow depth of field shooting.

chito

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »
this is really starting to bother me..  I don't do a ton of MF but I like to see the DOF of my ridiculously priced L primes, and I hate the 1 series form factor..

I wonder what Jeff Ascough thinks of this.. I read that he MF a lot, and he uses the 50L... Maybe Canon will make a special 5D3 just for him...

I'm not sure what he uses day to day, but at Focus he mentioned using the 24-70 I, a 135mm and sometimes when needed a 70-200mm.

I think that wedding photographers with a style that uses primes will have a lot to weigh in about the lack of focusing screen. If the focus works, ok, but if not, and it's much harder to MF (and also when doing video), then it makes it pretty hard for shallow depth of field shooting.

This is where I got it from

http://photo.net/learn/wedding/wedding-photography-tips-with-jeff-ascough/

It's from a couple of years ago, so he might have changed the way he works, these are some quotes from the article:

"I’ve always loved 50mm lenses. My Leica Noctilux was my absolute favourite. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 was ok but I broke three of them, so I used a 35 f1.4L for a long time instead. When the 50 f/1.2L came onto the scene, I was able to get back to the 50 and that has been my favorite lens for ages now. My first L lens I bought was the 28-70 f2.8L and that was the lens I cut my teeth on, I had a tear in my eye when I sold it last year."

With the 5DII:
"I use the center focus point and I manually focus quite a lot."

He will probably be tempted to use the Leica M10 which is rumored to debut on Photokina this year, if it's as good as it should be.

tt

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
Thanks chito - will have a read :)
50mm 1.2 and others are some great glass used well

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »
If you look precisely into the focusing screen chamber access of the 7D and the 5D3 there is a difference.
I hope the 5D3 will still have the same ease of access. Actually, they can't change it a lot, can they? Servicing / cleaning of the focusing screen is performed quite often.
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
Does anyone use a rear LCD loupe for MF. I know it chews the battery but is this an option instead of screwing parts in and out of a newly purchased 5D3? Zakuto, Hoodman etc? They'll have to make them 3.2" now, probably twice the price :o. Anyway, still waiting and doubting...
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

Stebs

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
I wonder if te4o is onto something. Has anyone here used one of the lcd focusing loupes for pulling critical focus during video? Is this a possible work around for the times you need to see your focus point < f/2.8? I just dont see myself having  the screen swapped out on a $3500 body unless it was designed to be swapped out. At that point it is time to look at other camera bodies.

Although, if the new focus system is advanced enough, this is all moot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »
Although, if the new focus system is advanced enough, this is all moot.

I wouldn't say moot.  Nailing focus is only part of it.  Seeing what's within and what's outside the DoF during composition is also helpful, and AF doesn't help there.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sagittariansrock

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2012, 04:04:38 AM »
I read on this post that the AF points can be completely turned off for the 7D, and I know that the advertisements said the same. I am talking of turning off the black boxes, not the focus confirmation red ones. But I couldn't find out how to do on the manual, and their technical support guy said (after extensive search) that it cannot be done. I am still hoping he was wrong- but has anyone actually done it and can share the information? Many thanks in advance...

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »
Just picked up a Eg-S screen after reading all this. How depressing. It makes things with my 135 and 50 slightly better (but I'd still say dimmer than with the Eg-A). With f/2.8 things start to be borderline. My 24-105 becomes way to dark for indoor shots. So this is not the solution and it's very frustrating when comparing it to my AE-1p (even with an f/4 lens). Why is this? Why can't Canon build their viewfinders as big and bright as they did 25 years ago?

So the sad conclusion is: manual focus is no longer a viable option and I have to live with a bunch of AF points centered around the middle (even on a newer model it seems). They work, but it still feels like a step back.

Let me know if anyone is interested in the brand new Eg-S screen. I'll have to see if the store takes it back.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

ratnev

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »
If you look precisely into the focusing screen chamber access of the 7D and the 5D3 there is a difference.
I hope the 5D3 will still have the same ease of access. Actually, they can't change it a lot, can they? Servicing / cleaning of the focusing screen is performed quite often.

Well, I must say: it's easy to access. I can even confirm it, but without illustrating the whole procedure on my own body, because I'm a bit afraid to do it myself.

First of all: DON'T YOU EVER TOUCH YOUR FOCUSING SCREEN WITH ANYTHING. USE ONLY AIR BLOWER TO REMOVE VISIBLE DUST ON IT.

As for my experience: don't even use a blower, because you may make things worse, as I did it with my copy of 5D Mk III.

A little story here:
About a week ago I noticed some speck on my focusing screen while looking through the viewfinder. Firstly I didn't plan to do anything with that. But whom I'm fooling around?!  :) It was annoying every time I looked through the viewfinder. Well, I decided to try a blower (damn it).

2 pushes on a blower, then another 2 and another and finally it (the speck) was gone. I was happy for 2 seconds or more before I noticed new participles from the other side of the focusing screen. I tried to blow them away but nothing helped. It was under the focusing screen.  :(

The things got worse when I tried a sensor cleaning swab. My bad. It didn't helped either. As a service guy said I had scratched my focusing screen.   ::)

As you've already know I went to service. The screen was scratched but not noticable in the viewfinder. I asked them to try to clean it from visible participles. As they said it was easier to replace than clean it.

But as it's a newer model, the new focusing screen will take for about 2 month to get shipped. 

I was begging them to clean it, just to try, and the service guy said OK.

I must mention that this was not an authorized canons service centre. In my country (Ukraine), the service under warranty is not so good and professional as the paid one, with "real" engineers working there.

The service guy took my MKIII and invited me to come with him just to watch the whole process (madness).  He unscrewed two little black screws (as on the pic) and pulled out the bracket, which holds the focusing screen chamber.

The chamber opens by clicking the lock, as on the 7D's focusing screen replacement procedure (http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/7den.htm),  and then the screen was exposed. The service guy took the focusing screen out with tweezers and pushed some air on it. It was cleaner than  before, with less dust but some specks were "glued" and didn't want to fall of.  :( So we ended up with ordering the new focusing screen. And now I'm waiting it to get shipped in two months.
That's the whole story. Sorry for such a long one.....   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »