October 01, 2014, 02:35:27 AM

Poll

I'm not buying a 5D Mark III because...

Too expensive
Sensor is the same as the 5D Mark II .. WTF? (Banding, noise, DR ...)
It's not really a 5D Mark III, it is a 5D Mark IIn
All of the above
I already bought one (or more) and I'm using it, what's your problem?
Upgrading from APS-C is more expensive than just a body upgrade
I don't own any Canon equipment yet so...
Still doesn't have a assignable/dedicated MLU button
Too big and heavy, the way forward is smaller and more compact... (EVIL/MILC)
I've ordered it, just waiting, any day now...
I'm simply not interested in the 5D Mark III or full frame cameras, give me crop!
I bought one and sent it back already, don't want another.!
I'm getting a 1DX instead.
Then I'll need newer, non-Canon, raw software that I can't run
When XXXX come out with a full frame camera for < $2000, bye bye Canon..!
Nikon's D800 has made a convert of me
I don't suffer from upgraditis

Author Topic: The other 5D Mark III polls sucked... here's a better one...  (Read 10839 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: The other 5D Mark III polls sucked... here's a better one...
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
I can't think of any more options to add...

You forgot about every option which would mention a Nikon D800 ...  ;D

Added.

where is the option "i already own a kick ass camera and don't see the need to upgrade"?

Added ("upgraditis")

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
I was about to click "same noise, banding, DR as 5D2", but then I saw the "All of the bove".

Bingo!  ;D

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »

I Know. XP will die sooner or later. At that point, I will be ready but until then 4000$ in the pocket has more weight than moving workflows. I'm still using CS3 photoshop also, might as well update that. Tack on another 800$ for CS6... :o

I've had a bad experience with upgrades. Long story short, I just buy retail copys now. Less hassle.

I've got 4GB of ram, and my Mobo support's 16GB. I'll just buy 16GB and dump my old ram. Future proof it now and not worry about it for another 6 years LOL.

My XP Pro 64 bit system is finally biting the dust after encountering a critical problem the last few weeks.  Parts to build a new machine are on their way.  XP Pro 64 bit was not a good OS choice -- support for it was never there.  Apple, TurboTax, Adobe are just a few of the vendors that have never/no longer support that OS.

crasher8

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 05:48:16 PM »
Some of the worlds largest companies, i.e. Pfizer still supply their people's laptops with XP. Ricockulous.

JerryB

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
I have a 5dm3.  It runs great on XP pro (probably XP, also).  I used DPP.  You could use lightroom3, works great on XP.  Some of you are adding expenses you don't need.  Now if you have Win 7 use DPP.  I don't know the memory requirements of lightroom 4 but it would surprise me if it takes that much, but it could.  Wait, my laptop process my 5dm3 and it has 2 or 4 gig memory.  I have lightroom 3 but usually use Photoshop 5.5 on the table top and Photoshop 3 on the laptop.  Lightroom 3 works on both.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
Some of the worlds largest companies, i.e. Pfizer still supply their people's laptops with XP. Ricockulous.

Not too surprising... a lot of large enterprises value stabilty over features and are a generation behind to wait for most of the initial issues to be identified/resolved.  A lot of companies skipped Vista and rightfully so, so it just seems a lot longer this time around.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »
I have a 5dm3.  It runs great on XP pro (probably XP, also).  I used DPP.  You could use lightroom3, works great on XP.  Some of you are adding expenses you don't need.  Now if you have Win 7 use DPP.  I don't know the memory requirements of lightroom 4 but it would surprise me if it takes that much, but it could.  Wait, my laptop process my 5dm3 and it has 2 or 4 gig memory.  I have lightroom 3 but usually use Photoshop 5.5 on the table top and Photoshop 3 on the laptop.  Lightroom 3 works on both.

I don't think the 5DIII works with LR 3 and new Adobe products including LR 4 won't work with XP Pro 64.  For those that are used to using LR exclusively, adding DPP into the workflow is a significant factor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »

Not too surprising... a lot of large enterprises value stabilty over features and are a generation behind to wait for most of the initial issues to be identified/resolved.  A lot of companies skipped Vista and rightfully so, so it just seems a lot longer this time around.

Exactly.  Consider...you use a few applications, so you would want to make sure those applications are compatible with the new OS when you upgrade.  Pfizer has the same concerns - times 100,000 employees.  Working for large pharma myself (>60K employees), and currently transitioning from XP to Win7 (well...watching others transition since I'm one of the tiny minority of official Mac users in the company  ;) ), it's incredibly complex to ensure all the software systems and instrument platforms work under Win7, not to mention that parts of the organization that report data to regulatory agencies need regulatory approval (= long delays) before changing any aspect of the data generation systems.  So, maybe not so ricockulous, after all?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

crasher8

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »
initial issues to be recognized……that was ricockulous. I think it just shows your IT dept is run by crotchety old farts.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
A quantum superposition of these two:

1. Sensor is the same as the 5D Mark II .. WTF? (Banding, noise, DR ...)

2. Already bought one (or more) and I'm using it, what's your problem?

(almost this, next round if point #1 happens again then #3 will be my only answer - 3. Nikon's D800 has made a convert of me)

And a firmware upgrade fixing the idiotic autoiso shutter speed limitation and allowing higher video bitrates and zebra and peaking and crop modes might do Canon a ton of good, sure they have kept most in the fold so far, but the fold seems to mostly bitch and whine these days, which is a dangerous sign for Canon, doing some things for good will and making the fold feel happy and taken care of might be smart....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:53:04 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »
sorry OP but this poll is so silly. you need to offer FEWER choices and less silly choices too. you're not even asking if people would buy a high MP body instead that is from canon (not nikon). that is the most basic question and you leave it distributed with 4 other silly options. sorry but try again.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 10:17:50 PM »
sorry OP but this poll is so silly. you need to offer FEWER choices and less silly choices too. you're not even asking if people would buy a high MP body instead that is from canon (not nikon). that is the most basic question and you leave it distributed with 4 other silly options. sorry but try again.

Maybe you shouldn't take everything in life so seriously.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
this is a good poll its indicating actual opinions rather than the vocal minority/trolls it will be interesting to see the spread after its run for a while
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 12:57:58 AM »
And a firmware upgrade fixing the idiotic autoiso shutter speed limitation and allowing higher video bitrates and zebra and peaking and crop modes might do Canon a ton of good, sure they have kept most in the fold so far, but the fold seems to mostly bitch and whine these days, which is a dangerous sign for Canon, doing some things for good will and making the fold feel happy and taken care of might be smart....

Seems to me that if this forum is typical then there are a lot of happy 5DIII users and a small number of very vocal people that bitch and whine about the same thing day after day

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:53 AM »

Seems to me that if this forum is typical then there are a lot of happy 5DIII users and a small number of very vocal people that bitch and whine about the same thing day after day

I came up with a brilliant idea the other day regarding iso that could easily be applied to every camera via firmware

enable an option to make the iso button toggle the rear wheel between iso and aperture

the way it works right now you have to hold the iso buton and use the main selector wheel to change iso
-this is irritating and less than ideal

however very often you dont need to change aperture as often as you might need to vary iso in very changable light.

so add in a menu item that rather than the iso button being a press and operate button you press it and it switches the functionality of the rear wheel between Aperture control and iso

this will enable you to dial in your aperture in a particular situation which you are more likely going to want to leave the same. then press the iso button now in manual mode the top wheel adjusts shutter and the back wheel adjusts iso. this will enable you to vary your exposure on the fly very quickly and very dynamically by adjusting either shutter speed or iso to suite your exposure. EC is simply done by your view of the meter scale in the viewfinder.

APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:53 AM »