August 30, 2014, 04:15:31 AM

Author Topic: Are lens skins worth it?  (Read 16933 times)

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Are lens skins worth it?
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:04 AM »
I came across these today at B&H and was wondering if anyone has tried them and if they really are easy to take off and help prevent minor abrasions and such. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/814210-REG/LensSkins_LS_C2470XXXBS_Lens_Wrap_for_Canon.html

I think they look cool, but might be labeling myself as a noob if i were to go out shooting with them
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

canon rumors FORUM

Are lens skins worth it?
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:04 AM »

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Are lens skins worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »
It all comes down to preference and how the "looks cool" falls into place. To some, it might look cool, to others, it might look uncool.
The more basic skins would be a better choice in my opinion, since they provide protection, keep a white L lens hidden, and keep you clear of either side of the "fashion" opinion of others.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:25:35 PM »
Personally, I don't see the point from a protection standpoint. Lenses are tools, yes, they'll collect signs of use over time, but I buy them to use them, not to keep them pretty.  As a kid, I had an aunt with a formal living room filled with clear plastic-covered furniture and vinyl carpet runners... I didn't see the point then, and I don't now.

The only exception would be a camo skin for birds/wildlife, when the business end of the supertele is the only thing sticking out of a blind.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

blaydese

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Mr. Blaydes Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 07:43:26 AM »
Yes, if you plan to sell it on ebay.  But get a plain color, no hot pink or plaid.    ;)

Peace! 8)

bkorcel

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:35:02 AM »
Not for the purpose ou would expect.  They do help protect the shell from dings.  However the most useful function is to keep your hands from freezing in the winter.  Anyone that has used a large tele in the winter knows that gloves dont cut it and the lens gets quite cold when you are waiting for that eagle to swoop down and snag a fish.

From a camo perspective they dont do a whole lot.  Critters are going to see you long before they see the lens.  Does it help keep a low profile in the field?  Not so much.  I've found it just increases the number of questions people ask.

In summary, skins are good during the winter or to help protect from dings...but other than that you can save your money and get a good quality polarizer for the lens instead.

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »
They are easy to use and take off (somewhat elastic material that provides a good fit). Could help prevent minor dents, I haven't tried that. If you choose an inconspicuous colour it also helps against attention from fellow humans, not only birds, in particular if you have a big white. Expensive but good in my experience (I use it on a 400/2.8 ).

I think they look cool, but might be labeling myself as a noob if i were to go out shooting with them

Best way to become cool is to care less what other people think  8)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
If you ask people who have bought them, they'll probably say they are worth it. If you ask people who haven't, they'll say they aren't. No surprise there.

I fall into the "not worth it" category. To me, they are little like a "Car Bra."  If you want to protect your lens/car so that it is pristine for the next owner that a nice gesture, but I'm not that considerate.

On the other hand, keep in mind that once you've invested in a DSLR and start lugging around a camera bag with two or three spare lenses, you have already crossed the line into dorkdom. Once you are on this side of the line, a lens skin isn't going to make you any more or less of a dweeb. So, if you think they look cool, go ahead.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »
I got them for my big whites, to make them less visible, white isn't exactly subtle when you're out shooting wildlife. If I was a sports shooter, Iwouldn't bother. The neoprene does also offer a little protection, but mainly from scratches and light knocks. Recently, I was climbing through some undergrowth in low light, with the camera slung on a Black Rapid, the 5D MkII ended up with a slight scratch annoyingly, but the lens is unmarked.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

opiuman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »
I have a few, I like them for the looks more than anything. I've gotten a few comments about it so I actually think it attracts MORE attention. They help a little for protection especially the lens coat ones but the lens skins are pretty thin. Overall, sorta worth it depending on what you want but they can be difficult to change or remove at times but I still like them.

xROELOFx

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
i have a lenscoat on my 500mm and extenders. just like bkorcel mentions, it's great for winter/cold times. i also like the softness of the material, i guess it offers a little extra protection but not much. if you drop your lens, it's gonna hurt either way.

is it worth it? good question. the lenscoat can cost a lot of money. but for a little more comfort and the psychological ensurance my lens has a bit more protection, i thought it was worth it.

if you have the money and think you need a lenscoat/lens skin, you should get one. if you have other things to buy (like a filter or something), get that first.

by the way, i never take the coat of the lens because it can be annoying to put it on and off :P
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
I almost (but not quite) regret buying my big white 300mm f2.8. Why? Well, it would never cease to amaze me the number of people it attracted. They would almost line up to ask questions. Whilst shooting a falconry display a man asked if I was a professional - "no" I honestly replied to which his response was, "but that's a professional lens" as if I must be an idiot. I had no comeback to that other than to frown and feel sorry for the oaf. He then proceeded to ask what exposure I was using and when I told him he just gave a smug smirk as if to say, "Ha! What a fool!". I should've just whacked him with the lens but there were witnesses. Maybe next time.

So where does that anecdote lead us? As an experiment I cut the sleeve off an old black sweatshirt to use as a lens sleeve. Fits just fine and when using it, not a single person interrupts me! I couldn't believe it, not one person commented as I walked round a large busy lake with it. Instant invisibility cloak. Maybe I should patent it?

Give it a go - cheaper than buying a skin and should prevent some minor scuffs. We can always start a trend by wearing old sweatshirts with one sleeve missing - only "insiders" will know the reason why.

crasher8

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
Make your own! Many Many Many youtube and DIY sites on doing this for a fraction of $$
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:51:35 PM by crasher8 »

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
I've always kind of had a problem with the bright 'oh wow, look at me' canon's. And they really do, scream 'look at me'. I've attracted way too much attention with the times I've been dragging one around.

I'll admit I was a nikon user most of my life, and the whole look at me white thing wasn't an issue. However now that I've arrived in the canon camp, I'll be seriously contemplating the neoprene ones when I have a big white lenses of my own (won't be that far away).

I'll also go forth and admit that I have gaffer tape on my camera, across the name plate at the top to decrease people staring at me (not sure if that works btw), and some tape on my bottom grip to protect it from scrapes (that one works!).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »

bkorcel

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »
Probobly the dirtier the better!  I will definately try that.

I almost (but not quite) regret buying my big white 300mm f2.8. Why? Well, it would never cease to amaze me the number of people it attracted. They would almost line up to ask questions. Whilst shooting a falconry display a man asked if I was a professional - "no" I honestly replied to which his response was, "but that's a professional lens" as if I must be an idiot. I had no comeback to that other than to frown and feel sorry for the oaf. He then proceeded to ask what exposure I was using and when I told him he just gave a smug smirk as if to say, "Ha! What a fool!". I should've just whacked him with the lens but there were witnesses. Maybe next time.

So where does that anecdote lead us? As an experiment I cut the sleeve off an old black sweatshirt to use as a lens sleeve. Fits just fine and when using it, not a single person interrupts me! I couldn't believe it, not one person commented as I walked round a large busy lake with it. Instant invisibility cloak. Maybe I should patent it?

Give it a go - cheaper than buying a skin and should prevent some minor scuffs. We can always start a trend by wearing old sweatshirts with one sleeve missing - only "insiders" will know the reason why.

koolkurkle

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 02:48:58 AM »
I have one for my 300 2.8 which I use mostly on the vast open spaces of the soccer field sidelines.  The main utility for me is it keeps the lens considerably cooler.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 02:48:58 AM »