August 27, 2014, 07:03:51 PM

Author Topic: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)  (Read 3233 times)

cosmicfreek

  • Guest
DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:15 AM »
For long I have been wanting to get a DSLR. With a newborn at home, I guess the time has come for me take the dip into world of DSLR's. My requirements are pretty simple, I will be shooting my family both indoors and outdoors. I want my images to be as sharp as possible and with right mix of colours. My DSLR usge will be 85% stills and 15% video. In that 85% for stills, I expect 70% of photography to be done in "Auto" mode (to begin with) and the rest 30% would be experiments done with aim to learn DSLR photography. Budget is $1250 and expect to get the cam within the next month. To start with I'm looking to pair the body with a good walk around lens. Might get a prime lens / tele zoom at a later date and I'd be done with. I have no plans to upgrade the body for next 5 years.

Possible choices I have in mind ...

1. Reburb Canon 60D + Refurb Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
Slickdeals has a coupon code which can be use to get additional 20% off on the marked refurb prices.
For refurbs Canon provides only 90 days warranty, if we purchase the same on AMEX / VISA card do we get additional warranty ? Also can someone shed light on the refurb returns policy.

2. Nikon D5100 + Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED (VR)

3. Pentax K-5 + Pentax SMCP-DA 18mm - 135mm f/3.5-5.6 AL (IF) DC WR
This combo exceeds my budget by $200. I have read a lot of good things abt the K-5, but only thing which bothers is the name "Pentax". I'm not aware of their presence and after sales support across the globe.

Thanks in advance.

Kernuak

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1108
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »
For long I have been wanting to get a DSLR. With a newborn at home, I guess the time has come for me take the dip into world of DSLR's. My requirements are pretty simple, I will be shooting my family both indoors and outdoors. I want my images to be as sharp as possible and with right mix of colours. My DSLR usge will be 85% stills and 15% video. In that 85% for stills, I expect 70% of photography to be done in "Auto" mode (to begin with) and the rest 30% would be experiments done with aim to learn DSLR photography. Budget is $1250 and expect to get the cam within the next month. To start with I'm looking to pair the body with a good walk around lens. Might get a prime lens / tele zoom at a later date and I'd be done with. I have no plans to upgrade the body for next 5 years.

Possible choices I have in mind ...

1. Reburb Canon 60D + Refurb Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
Slickdeals has a coupon code which can be use to get additional 20% off on the marked refurb prices.
For refurbs Canon provides only 90 days warranty, if we purchase the same on AMEX / VISA card do we get additional warranty ? Also can someone shed light on the refurb returns policy.

2. Nikon D5100 + Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED (VR)

3. Pentax K-5 + Pentax SMCP-DA 18mm - 135mm f/3.5-5.6 AL (IF) DC WR
This combo exceeds my budget by $200. I have read a lot of good things abt the K-5, but only thing which bothers is the name "Pentax". I'm not aware of their presence and after sales support across the globe.

Thanks in advance.
The reality is, probably any of the combinations will suit yor needs. Ideally, it is better to get a sharper lens, but I haven't used any of them and don't know the reputation of either the Nikon or Pentax choices. Camera-wise, I think both the 5100 and K-5 use the same Sony sensor, but I could be wrong there. My recommendation would be to try out each of the cameras to see which feels the most comfortable in your hands. Also, think about whether you will eventually want to get more lenses, as it won't be much good if you choose a body, then the system doesn't have a lens that fits your requirements some time down the line.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Over Exposed

  • Guest
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »
Being the owner of a 60D, and happy at that, oddly I'd recommend the T4i w/ the new 18-135 STM lens (though I understand why you might want the 15-85 for better IQ).  This is based on several things:

The 60D for video is fine, in my opinion, for fixed focus situations.  But when you try to follow a toddler/young child around the lack of AF is going to frustrate.  Of course we have no reviews of how the hybrid AF in video is going to work on the T4i, I'd hope it's at least decent and very usable for your situation.

The T4i frame rate is now pretty good making it easier to capture the quick action of young children.

Just some thoughts.  I have no opinion/experience with the other two options.


aznable

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 233
    • View Profile
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:31:43 AM »
if you dont need articulated screen you can buy a nikon d7000 with 18-105 vr, new a 1399 used a 1199 from amazon marketplace

pentax k5 is a very capable camera, but you havent a great selection of lenses and the marketability (exists a word like that) isnt soo good as canon or nikon

if video is really important maybe a 650D (t4i) is better, but it's a different class of camera
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

fifowarehouse

  • Guest
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
For long I have been wanting to get a DSLR. With a newborn at home, I guess the time has come for me take the dip into world of DSLR's. My requirements are pretty simple, I will be shooting my family both indoors and outdoors. I want my images to be as sharp as possible and with right mix of colours. My DSLR usge will be 85% stills and 15% video. In that 85% for stills, I expect 70% of photography to be done in "Auto" mode (to begin with) and the rest 30% would be experiments done with aim to learn DSLR photography. Budget is $1250 and expect to get the cam within the next month. To start with I'm looking to pair the body with a good walk around lens. Might get a prime lens / tele zoom at a later date and I'd be done with. I have no plans to upgrade the body for next 5 years.

Possible choices I have in mind ...

1. Reburb Canon 60D + Refurb Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
Slickdeals has a coupon code which can be use to get additional 20% off on the marked refurb prices.
For refurbs Canon provides only 90 days warranty, if we purchase the same on AMEX / VISA card do we get additional warranty ? Also can someone shed light on the refurb returns policy.

2. Nikon D5100 + Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED (VR)

3. Pentax K-5 + Pentax SMCP-DA 18mm - 135mm f/3.5-5.6 AL (IF) DC WR This combo exceeds my budget by $200. I have read a lot of good things abt the K-5, but only thing which bothers is the name "Pentax". I'm not aware of their presence and after sales support across the globe.

Thanks in advance.

With $1250...you don't have much of choice.

I like option#1, without Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM. This lens is NOT that good for indoor, even when you step down the shutter speed. Keep in mind - you shooting with crop sensor.

I suggest the following pre-owned lenses:
1. Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS (My #1 choice, best for crop and walk around, little pricy)
2. Canon 28mm f1.8 prime
3. Canon 50mm f1.8 or f1.4
4. Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM --- with 430ex flash for indoor

Goodluck


tntwit

  • Rebel SL1
  • ***
  • Posts: 95
  • Enthusiastic Amateur
    • View Profile
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »
I would second the T4i with the 18-135 STP.

If you want Nikon, I would look at the new 3200 as I believe that has auto focus in video mode.

I know there are those with the opinion that manual focus is better, and that may be for the experienced, but it doesn't sound like that is you at this point (it's not me either 8)). 

Example:

I have a T3i which does not auto focus in video.  I was using a 75-300 lens and shooting video of my 6 yr old running toward me from 3rd base to home plate in her T Ball game.  Now, I don't know about the other cameras, but the T3i makes you use live view when shooting video (I think by design that would be true of all DSLR cameras).  On a bright sunny day, you cannot very well see just how in focus things are and that is enough of a distance that the subject will go out of focus.  Plus, until you get experience, I keep turning the focus ring the wrong way until I figure out what is right, all the while it is recording, and still it is difficult to see.  Love em or hate em, my Panasonic GF3 is really better for this as it will auto focus, but I don't currently have a lens longer than 42mm.

Everyone is different, but my guess is you are going to want video of your child.  Maybe you are better off with a dedicated video camera, but remember that is more to carry.  The beauty of the 18-135 is it covers a pretty decent range and with the T4i you will probably get decent video results.  They may not be cinema quality, but then what are your expectations?  Aside from maintaining focus (a work in process) I have been very happy with the video from the T3i when viewed on a 46 inch 1080P TV.

You may want to consider waiting for the replacement for the D5100 as it is probably not far of.

Being the owner of a 60D, and happy at that, oddly I'd recommend the T4i w/ the new 18-135 STM lens (though I understand why you might want the 15-85 for better IQ).  This is based on several things:

The 60D for video is fine, in my opinion, for fixed focus situations.  But when you try to follow a toddler/young child around the lack of AF is going to frustrate.  Of course we have no reviews of how the hybrid AF in video is going to work on the T4i, I'd hope it's at least decent and very usable for your situation.

The T4i frame rate is now pretty good making it easier to capture the quick action of young children.

Just some thoughts.  I have no opinion/experience with the other two options.



Regarding the D5100, I thought that was the direct competition for the T3i now T4i.  They are priced pretty close.  I thought the D3100/D3200s were to compete with the T3.  The 60D I thought was to compete with the Nikon above the D5100 (7000?).
60D, 15-85 IS, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 10-20, 70-300 IS Non L, 430EX II, Vanguard GH-100, Panasonic GF3, 14-42, 14 f2.5

distant.star

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1457
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »

.
Spend $950 for the Canon T4i with the kit lens.

Use that for a year. At that point you'll have a better idea what kind of lenses you really need for what you're doing with the camera. You'll learn a lot, and a year from now you'll know even more. And you'll have saved more money to inflate the budget.

If you stick with it, three or four years from now you'll be ready to make a move to something serious if you feel the need.

As others have said, I have no experience with the other products you mentioned. What I do know is that you will NOT regret having a T4i.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

pixelkiller

  • Guest
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:45:48 PM »
D5100.

Considering your budget, and a majority of your need going into stills, this is the best choice. In fact, it goes for nearly $650 for the kit (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6) nowadays. Great start for any user, and it has one of the best APSC sensors out there (it shares the D7000's sensor).

And yes, it has autofocus in video :)

That gives you room to get either a 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8 AF-S.

I've seen a friend shoot the D5100 as a backup camera during a wedding when her usual backup (D7000), was out of comission. Results? amazing.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:06:34 PM by pixelkiller »

Marsu42

  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • *******
  • Posts: 4407
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
Possible choices I have in mind ...

I have a 60d, but for your requirements it's too advanced, and the very good and sturdy Pentax is over your budget and doesn't have the big brand name you obviously want. Imho get the Nikon with full warranty - and if you want to spend a little more money for greater versatility think about the 18-200vr lens. Ask on nikonrumors.com for details if you didn't already do that.

addame

  • SX50 HS
  • **
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
Hi,

I'm in a same situation.
For me I'll probably wait for the release of the successors of Canon 60D (70D?) and Nikon D5100 (D5200?). Then my choice will be based on what they will come with.
I hope that both replacements will happen soon (next few months).


RAKAMRAK

  • Canon 70D
  • ****
  • Posts: 300
    • View Profile
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »
For long I have been wanting to get a DSLR. With a newborn at home, I guess the time has come for me take the dip into world of DSLR's. My requirements are pretty simple, I will be shooting my family both indoors and outdoors. I want my images to be as sharp as possible and with right mix of colours. My DSLR usge will be 85% stills and 15% video. In that 85% for stills, I expect 70% of photography to be done in "Auto" mode (to begin with) and the rest 30% would be experiments done with aim to learn DSLR photography. Budget is $1250 and expect to get the cam within the next month. To start with I'm looking to pair the body with a good walk around lens. Might get a prime lens / tele zoom at a later date and I'd be done with. I have no plans to upgrade the body for next 5 years.

Possible choices I have in mind ...

1. Reburb Canon 60D + Refurb Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
Slickdeals has a coupon code which can be use to get additional 20% off on the marked refurb prices.
For refurbs Canon provides only 90 days warranty, if we purchase the same on AMEX / VISA card do we get additional warranty ? Also can someone shed light on the refurb returns policy.

2. Nikon D5100 + Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED (VR)

3. Pentax K-5 + Pentax SMCP-DA 18mm - 135mm f/3.5-5.6 AL (IF) DC WR
This combo exceeds my budget by $200. I have read a lot of good things abt the K-5, but only thing which bothers is the name "Pentax". I'm not aware of their presence and after sales support across the globe.

Thanks in advance.

Why not think about the following configuration? (keeping in mind your budget, and your shooting needs)

Canon T3i + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-VC + Canon EF 50mm f1.8II = around US$ 1218.00

Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

edawg

  • Guest
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
60D is a fantastic camera and a very good deal. I think the nikon sensors are better but for overall usability I have been very happy with the 60D. At this level of camera you really can't go wrong with image quality, they are all very good so it just comes down to what is most comfortable for you. I've previously owned a rebel and I would not get a t4i considering the 60d is the same price. The rebels series have a different feel and are just a bit too small in hands. Also the 60d's multi-selection wheel adds TONS of usability. For low light indoor use the 50mm f1.8 will be too zoomed in (although it lets in a ton of light); take a look at the 28mm 1.8 instead. More expensive but it will help you get the pictures you want.

edawg

  • Guest
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »
also the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non-vc would be a great option for you.. not too expensive, very good image quality and at 2.8 it lets in a ton of light.

gn100

  • Power Shot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »
All options look OK, but regardless of camera, here are my recommendations - start with a kit lens plus a prime. I have a young family and shoot with a 60D + 17-55mm f2.8 - OK, but the lens isn't fast enough for the inside use - yes I get some good images but often have images wecked by distracting backgrounds (always seems to be toys lying around etc!).

I would tend to recommend a Nikon and their 35mm f1.8 - only $200 USD -  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606792-USA/Nikon_2183_AF_S_Nikkor_35mm_f_1_8G.html. You could then add a more generall purpose zoom, primarily for outside use eg 18-105VR ($400 USD)

If you have the time, I'd attend an evening class (if available in your area) to kick start your use of the camera ..... often a bit of training is worth a lot more than exepnsive equipment

cosmicfreek

  • Guest
Re: DSLR itch (60D / D5100 / K-5)
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.

I know for a fact that 60D is an overkill for my requirement. But I wanted a intermediate body (like 60D, K-5), only because I dont intend to upgrade the body for the next 4-5 years. With that time frame a noob like me can slowly learn the ropes of photography and possibly exploit the potential of the intermediate camera. Coming to the feel part, since i'm new to DSLR's, I think I can easily adapt myself to either of the brands.

I wanted to keep my kit simple as possible, I dont want to have multiple lens and it for this reason I was looking for a walk around lens with brilliant IQ, like the Canon 15-85mm and Nikon 16-85mm. A year from now, I'll probably get a prime lens and a speedlite flash.

There's rumours abt possible new launches from both Canon (70D) & Nikon (D5200) by the Photokina in September. I'm confused and not sure if I'm to hold my purchase until then.

Anybody aware of the Canon refurb returns policy ? Also refurb purchases made on AMEX / Visa get any additional warranty ?