September 18, 2014, 08:11:49 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Hitting Retailers  (Read 13969 times)

Wideopen

Re: Canon EOS-1D X Hitting Retailers
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
I am envious. What does the 1dx smell like?  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »

sephknite

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
I am envious. What does the 1dx smell like?  :P

*slurp* Mmmm..tastes like..Canon.  ;D

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »
But what is it on this 1D-X that makes it so much more $$$ than the recently released 5D3?...what makes this camera better and worth more than the 5D3?

It's the "1".  Canon charges >$3000 to put a "1" on the front of the camera instead of a "5".  Really...that's the only difference.

FPS, build quality, weather sealing, metering, built-in grip, LAN, faster X-sync, etc., it's all just window dressing - it's the "1" that matters.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »
You must be pretty excited neuro, turns out the 1D X is real after all!

dshipley

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »
Complete noob here....

But what is it on this 1D-X that makes it so much more $$$ than the recently released 5D3?

I see it has less MP, and I know that MP in this case, isn't likely much of an important factor...but, does having less give it more clarity in low light situations?

I believe I've read that it shoots more fps....but aside from this...what makes this camera better and worth more than the 5D3?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Various items...
  • Overall Build Quality - Longer rated shutter (400,000 cycles vs 150,000 cycles for 5D3), better weather sealing, built-in vertical grip
  • 1DX has an RGB sensor for color metering which also allows face and object detection while using AF (5D3 doesn't have an RGB sensor for metering... only a two layer sensor in which each layer is sensitive to certain color combos)
  • 1DX has 3 Digic Processors - Dual Digic 5+ and one Digic 4 (5D3 has a single Digic 5+)
  • 1DX does 12fps or14fps (5D3 is 6fps) & probably a larger buffer (specs for this have not been released)
  • Twin CF slots vs Single CF / Single SD Combo (better to some, to others it doesn't matter)
  • 1DX has 1/250 Flash X-sync (5D3 is 1/200)
  • 1DX has Gigabit Ethernet (5D3 only has USB 2.0)
  • 1DX has native ISO up to 51,200 and expandable ISO up to 204,800 (5D3 native is 25,600 and expanded is 102,400)
  • Larger battery (some people say this allows certain lenses to focus faster... not sure if this has been proven or not when compared to a gripped 5D)
  • Sensor most likely handles noise better at high ISO (not proven yet because it hasn't been released)

I think that covers most of it.
5DIII w/ BG-E11
16-35 f/4 L IS, 35L, 50L, 85 1.8, 135L
(2) Einstein e640 w/ CC & CST

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »
  • Larger battery (some people say this allows certain lenses to focus faster... not sure if this has been proven or not when compared to a gripped 5D)

Yes, this is true.  With an add-on grip, the batteries are not connected in parallel, they are used alternately (you can see this from the incremental shot counts).  The 1-series battery delivers a higher voltage which drives the lens' AF motor faster.

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »
You must be pretty excited neuro, turns out the 1D X is real after all!

I had no doubts, played with one at a trade show.   ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »

Yes, this is true.  With an add-on grip, the batteries are not connected in parallel, they are used alternately (you can see this from the incremental shot counts).  The 1-series battery delivers a higher voltage which drives the lens' AF motor faster.

Very cool. I did not know that, but am glad to hear it.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
neuro, based on the few reviews you've seen, the spec sheet, etc, do you think the 1D X is really worth the extra money over the 5D3?  I'm just looking for your straight-up opinions on this, since I know you skipped the 5D3 in favor of the 1D X.  :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 02:48:42 PM »
neuro, based on the few reviews you've seen, the spec sheet, etc, do you think the 1D X is really worth the extra money over the 5D3?  I'm just looking for your straight-up opinions on this, since I know you skipped the 5D3 in favor of the 1D X.  :)

For me, yes.  The weather sealing and built-in grip are important to me, as is the frame rate, and I'm hoping for a bit better high-ISO performance.  I think the face-tracking in the phase AF will be useful, too.  I do tend to treat my cameras as tools not showpieces, and the 1-series build will hold up better to that treatment. 

But it comes down to 'value', and there are two parts to that - what are the features worth, and can you afford it?  Photography is a hobby for me...in that sense, I don't need a 1D X.  But I want one, and I can afford one, so I'm getting one.   ;D

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »

For me, yes.  The weather sealing and built-in grip are important to me, as is the frame rate, and I'm hoping for a bit better high-ISO performance.  I think the face-tracking in the phase AF will be useful, too.  I do tend to treat my cameras as tools not showpieces, and the 1-series build will hold up better to that treatment. 

But it comes down to 'value', and there are two parts to that - what are the features worth, and can you afford it?  Photography is a hobby for me...in that sense, I don't need a 1D X.  But I want one, and I can afford one, so I'm getting one.   ;D

+1 (and for pretty much exactly the same reasons)  :)

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »

Neuro - did you order an additional battery too? I am still in two minds about this... Do you know if it will perform the same as 2 batteries in a 5D battery grip? I know faster focus and extra processors will most probably be power hungry... but I think I am going to hang in there and order the battery a bit later.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
Looking at the specs vs. the 1D4, I would think this camera will perform better in fast action, low light sports.  I think the important thing here will be the keeper rate will increase over the 1D4.  You might get shots that you otherwise might have missed either due to fps or OOF.  Looks good.  And no, the MP's aren't really a concern when you have to have the shot.  Rather have an in-focus 18mp shot vs. a slightly OOF 22mp shot. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Canon EOS-1D X Hitting Retailers
I hope it hits em really hard! Given its weight(>1kg), it is supposed to do so.
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »
Neuro - did you order an additional battery too? I am still in two minds about this... Do you know if it will perform the same as 2 batteries in a 5D battery grip? I know faster focus and extra processors will most probably be power hungry... but I think I am going to hang in there and order the battery a bit later.

I did not order a second battery, yet.  Based on the specs, battery life with the 1D X Will be a couple of hundred shots less than with two batteries in the grip of my current cameras.  But, since I almost never come anywhere near exhausting the batteries in a single session or day of shooting, I will try it with just the one battery, and see how it goes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »