September 22, 2014, 10:29:44 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-1D X Hitting Retailers  (Read 14049 times)

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Hitting Retailers
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »
The 1DX is bulky and heavy. I figured most hobbyists would want something smaller and more compact for travel.

Meh.  Both my bodies have grips anyway.
It seemed to me that the 1DX is less bulky than a 5DIII with grip when I was able to test some preprods...
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »
The 5D MK III looks like it has improved weather sealing and I'm sure it would hold up just fine in a light rain but the high-ISO samples I have seen aren't anywhere near what the samples from the 1DX look like. High school gyms can be pretty dark, I push my 1D MK IV to ISO 8000 just to get a shutter speed of 1/400 sec at f/2.8. That is as far as I am willing to go for a photo that will be ran in the newspaper but with the 1DX I should be able to get a much better image even at ISO 25,000 and a shutter speed closer to my preferred 1/1000 for sports.

The 5D MK III didn't look all that great at ISO 8000 so I skipped that body. Megapixels don't really matter, the Associated Press actually makes us size the file to max dimensions of 2000 x 2000 pixels and around 1.5mb to keep their system from overloading. Sure, more pixels means that we can crop more but I would rather have cleaner images at super high ISOs.

The 5D3 high iso is already getting so close to theoretical limits that I would temper your 1DX expectations a bit. Maybe it can add 2/3rd of a stop more DR up there and retain deep blacks instead of going purple at very high iso or something but I wouldn't expect more than 1/3 stop better mid-gray SNR.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 05:03:07 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »
The 5D MK III looks like it has improved weather sealing and I'm sure it would hold up just fine in a light rain but the high-ISO samples I have seen aren't anywhere near what the samples from the 1DX look like. High school gyms can be pretty dark, I push my 1D MK IV to ISO 8000 just to get a shutter speed of 1/400 sec at f/2.8. That is as far as I am willing to go for a photo that will be ran in the newspaper but with the 1DX I should be able to get a much better image even at ISO 25,000 and a shutter speed closer to my preferred 1/1000 for sports.

The 5D MK III didn't look all that great at ISO 8000 so I skipped that body. Megapixels don't really matter, the Associated Press actually makes us size the file to max dimensions of 2000 x 2000 pixels and around 1.5mb to keep their system from overloading. Sure, more pixels means that we can crop more but I would rather have cleaner images at super high ISOs.

The 5D3 high iso is already getting so close to theoretical limits that I would temper your 1DX expectations a bit. Maybe it can add 2/3rd of a stop more DR up there and retain deep blacks instead of going purple at very high iso or something but I wouldn't expect more than 1/3 stop better mid-gray SNR.

I feel like the 5D2 and 5D3 sensors were made with a similar process but the 1DX looks like a completely new process because the images look so clean and the dynamic range looks much better. I try to be pretty conservative which is why I said ISO 25K at max (I don't mind a decent amount of noise as long as there is no banding). I have seen a lot of samples so far and I am incredibly impressed even with the photos at ISO 40,000 which were as good as my 1D4 at around ISO 2000. Someone posted some RAW samples a while back and ISO 6400 looked super clean even when I pulled the shadows up to 100 in CR 7.1, probably as good as the 5D3 at ISO 1600 which is a two stop improvement. I might be getting ahead of myself but I really think Canon nailed this camera and it will be better than Nikon's D4 in the high-ISO category.

Everyone has a different idea of what a useable photo looks like but after being in the newspaper and wedding biz for several years I have a pretty good idea of what "too grainy" looks like. 5D2 max is ISO 4000 for me, 1D4 is 8000, 5D3 is around 12,000, and here's to hoping that I can get 25,000 out of the 1DX.

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 04:53:49 AM »
I tested one last week and got to keep the raw fils. It's 2 stops better than the 5D3.

No argument, no contest, 2 stops better. I had the 5D3 with me to compare and I took shots at ISO1600, 3200, 6400 and 12800 of a guy half standing in the shade.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2012, 05:00:54 AM »
I tested one last week and got to keep the raw fils. It's 2 stops better than the 5D3.

No argument, no contest, 2 stops better. I had the 5D3 with me to compare and I took shots at ISO1600, 3200, 6400 and 12800 of a guy half standing in the shade.
That's impressive!
Could you upload the files?
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

Redleecr7

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 07:13:58 AM »
Just a quick message, I am new to the forum and I posted a message earlier but don't know we're I posted it! Yesterday I recieved an email and a phone call from Calumet Manchester to tell me that my 1DX has been dispatched from there London depot to Manchester. I then Got an email from FedEx with a tracking number, I have been tracking it all morning and I am just waiting for it to arrive at the store, should be there for 2 o'clock today! I will post a picture as soon as I get it today. Hope this cheers everybody up with all the doom and gloom surrounding the delay with people even claiming this week that we would not be getting the camera untill September by the way I am not a professional or a cps member just a normal customer who ordered the camera  back in October just goes to show you can't believe everything you read!

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »
Just a quick message, I am new to the forum and I posted a message earlier but don't know we're I posted it! Yesterday I recieved an email and a phone call from Calumet Manchester to tell me that my 1DX has been dispatched from there London depot to Manchester. I then Got an email from FedEx with a tracking number, I have been tracking it all morning and I am just waiting for it to arrive at the store, should be there for 2 o'clock today! I will post a picture as soon as I get it today. Hope this cheers everybody up with all the doom and gloom surrounding the delay with people even claiming this week that we would not be getting the camera untill September by the way I am not a professional or a cps member just a normal customer who ordered the camera  back in October just goes to show you can't believe everything you read!

Great news! Saw your post in another thread too, so thanks for sharing the information.  It's good to know that the U.K. is starting to have cameras ship. I hope we'll see the same in the U.S. any day.  Look forward to an update from you later this weekend on how your pickup went and what you think about the new camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2012, 11:47:05 AM »
If the 1D X is so clean at such high ISO's, I wonder if more people will be able to shoot let's say, night football games with the 300 f/4L vs. the 300 f/2.8L.  Now I know the latter will focus faster in lower light, but it really makes you wonder now, if the more expensive lenses like in my example wouldn't necessarily be needed.  If you are submitting photos to the AP, the subtle differences in IQ would be irrelevent.  Just a thought I had, because I was shooting evening track and field with the 300 f/4L with a 1D4 and I was having no trouble focusing very quickly.  However, the ISO performance required a bit more cleanup than I like :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »

That's impressive!
Could you upload the files?

I'm not allowed to show images from a pre production camera. You'll have to take my word for it.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
If the 1D X is so clean at such high ISO's, I wonder if more people will be able to shoot let's say, night football games with the 300 f/4L vs. the 300 f/2.8L.  Now I know the latter will focus faster in lower light, but it really makes you wonder now, if the more expensive lenses like in my example wouldn't necessarily be needed.  If you are submitting photos to the AP, the subtle differences in IQ would be irrelevent.  Just a thought I had, because I was shooting evening track and field with the 300 f/4L with a 1D4 and I was having no trouble focusing very quickly.  However, the ISO performance required a bit more cleanup than I like :)

I shoot a lot of high school and college football at night, your still going to need that f/2.8 in most instances especially when they get close to the goal line. It is not only the speed of AF that you need to worry about, it is also going to come down to accuracy in low-light conditions. f/2.8 lenses get dual cross type AF sensors so you'll get a better hit ratio. You'll need all the light you can get with teams that have black jerseys, eek.

In my area, the best lit high school football stadiums are actually pretty close to the college stadium (Marshall University in WV) and that leaves me at around 1/640-1/1000 sec at ISO 5000-6400 depending on how close they are to the sideline. At some of the darker stadiums or as the players get down near the goal line the offensive players are often back lit and I've gotta go ISO 8000 just to get 1/400-1/500 sec at time. I prefer a little grain over motion blur most of the time.

This is just another reason why I skipped the 5D3 in favor of the 1DX, I need speed and the cleanest high-ISO images I can get. The 5D3 definitely wasn't two stops better and I would probably still be stuck between ISO 8000-12000 at most. I'd like to get my shutter to at least 1/1000 sec whenever possible.

Sharkproof_shooter

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »

The EOS-1D X is showing up in small numbers in Singapore. I have also heard it will appear in more stores in Asia this week. I have yet to hear anything about USA, Europe or Canada stock allocation.</p>

I had a long conversation with my guy at Adorama yesterday, and he said that they had already received a small lot that have already  been shipped.  He said that he got to see and play with the camera a little bit, but that was it.  He said that they expected more hopefully to come in in the next few days for the pre orders that they have, (me being one of those) and said that he thought there could be a good chance I'd get it before the begining of July, but that was just a guess.  None the less, he did say that they did get some in and as I ordered mine back in Feb that I was pretty early in the list but that what they did get and ship was very limited.  Anyway, Canon has sent them some and they are hitting some peoples hands... Wish it was mine.  I need it before July 1!    Note: every other time I called.. the answer was always the same... we don't know when they are coming... So... this is a good change. ; )
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:04:34 PM by Sharkproof_shooter »

robin

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »

The EOS-1D X is showing up in small numbers in Singapore. I have also heard it will appear in more stores in Asia this week. I have yet to hear anything about USA, Europe or Canada stock allocation.</p>

I had a long conversation with my guy at Adorama yesterday, and he said that they had already received a small lot that have already  been shipped.  He said that he got to see and play with the camera a little bit, but that was it.  He said that they expected more hopefully to come in in the next few days for the pre orders that they have, (me being one of those) and said that he thought there could be a good chance I'd get it before the begining of July, but that was just a guess.  None the less, he did say that they did get some in and as I ordered mine back in Feb that I was pretty early in the list but that what they did get and ship was very limited.  Anyway, Canon has sent them some and they are hitting some peoples hands... Wish it was mine.  I need it before July 1!    Note: every other time I called.. the answer was always the same... we don't know when they are coming... So... this is a good change. ; )

Please keep us posted!!!!!

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2012, 01:54:26 AM »
Exciting times...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2012, 01:54:26 AM »

pup73

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
I talked one of the shops with which I Pre-ordered. They said they expect to receive their first  shipments the first week of July, and there's a CHANCE I can receive mine after the 4th. they of course can't make any promises. But this is what they've been told by Canon. I tend to believe them. They were among the first to receive the 5diii's. I got mine from them way back in march. So we'll see. All I can surmise from all the info out there, is its likely some those who Pre-ordered may be getting theirs in the next couple of weeks

-c
1DX, 5DIII, 1DsII, 35L, 85L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8II, and some other stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »