July 28, 2014, 07:36:10 PM

Author Topic: Looking for a Camera Body upgrade  (Read 1344 times)

lpwphoto

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Looking for a Camera Body upgrade
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
I have decided the time has come to upgrade to a new camera body.  I believe my skill has finally surpassed the capability of the camera I'm currently using (An EOS 20D).

I want to make the best investment I can make, but I can't afford to just arbitrarily buy the latest and greatest.  I'm truly looking for the absolute best image quality I can get, but still try to maintain a reasonable price.

I have been looking at the 7D, the 5DmkII, the 5DmkIII and (blasphemy, I know) switching to Nikon and looking at the D800, though I would consider other options.

I shoot mainly landscapes and nature photography and I'm interested in getting the best possible IQ I can get.  I would like to make some rather large prints with my photos as well.  I'm not necessarily concerned about AF as I do manual focus quite a bit though a quick and accurate one would certainly be a nice to have. 

So far as my glass I own the 70-200 2.8L, the 12-24 Tokina (which is a great lens, but only an EF-S mount) and the 17-85 EF-S so no matter what I do, I need to also invest in a good landscape lens as well.

I'd be interested to hear opinions as to what a lot of other landscape photographers out there use and what some of you think would be the best route.  Thanks!
"There are no rules for good photograph's. There are only good photograph's." -Ansel Adams

20D | 17-40L | 70-200 2.8L | 17-85 3.5-5.6 | Tokina 12-24 f4 DX II | 580 EX |

canon rumors FORUM

Looking for a Camera Body upgrade
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »

Ayelike

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Camera Body upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »
I just got a 5D3 and I'll tell you why. I actually wanted to upgrade at about time time the 7D came out but I really wanted to go full frame. I couldn't quiet bring myself to get the 5D2 because I wanted the AF and frame rate of the 7D. I basically froze in my decision then soon heard about the 5D3 so I waited... over a year!

I got my 5D3 this week and am thrilled to bits with it. It's everything I wanted it to be. The best of the 5D2 and the best of the 7D in one camera plus a little bit more. That's not to say I didn't hesitate when I saw the price of the 5D3 however.

If your main interest is landscapes then I actually think you'll appreciate a full frame camera more than a crop. And if fast focus isn't so important then maybe a 5D2 will be perfect for you. I like to shoot some sports which is why the 5D3 AF is so important to me.

Saying that, if you also shoot wildlife then maybe the 7D will be best for you as you can get longer reach with your current lenses and fire a burst of shots off to try to capture 'the moment'.

You know, you could always get a 5D2 and a 7D for the price of a 5D3. Then you could have a landscape camera and a wildlife camera. You'd never need to swap a lens when you're out and about again!

Do you do much low light work? If so the 5D3 starts to be the more attractive option.

As for your Nikon option, if you have lots of Canon glass then it'll be a financial loss selling old and buying new and a headache I'd want to avoid. I'm sure I'd be just as happy with a D800 but I've invested too much in Canon and there isn't as much between those two cameras as people make out. And for what it's worth, I prefer the look, feel and usability of Canon cameras... maybe just because I'm used to them though.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
If your doing landscapes, a full frame camera is the best. It has more resolving power that smaller sensored camera with Equivalent MP count.

If you have the budget a MK3 is the best.

If you have less to spend a 5d2 is the best.

If your strapped for cash, A 5Dc is a excellent choice and still a stunning camera.

Pick your poison. ;D

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 04:12:34 PM »
If your doing landscapes, a full frame camera is the best. It has more resolving power that smaller sensored camera with Equivalent MP count.

If your strapped for cash, A 5Dc is a excellent choice and still a stunning camera.

Pick your poison. ;D

+1 on the 5D Mark II FF camera with a budget.  Especially if you don't need the lightning fast autofocus.  As an aside you're right on the 5D!  When I first began photography I had a 5D Mk II and I was practicing with a pro who had a 5D and he was destroying my photos!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

lpwphoto

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »
I just got a 5D3 and I'll tell you why. I actually wanted to upgrade at about time time the 7D came out but I really wanted to go full frame. I couldn't quiet bring myself to get the 5D2 because I wanted the AF and frame rate of the 7D. I basically froze in my decision then soon heard about the 5D3 so I waited... over a year!

While I'm doing all the research now, I am thinking that I'm going to end up waiting until we see what comes out at Photokina this year and then make the decision.  It's most likely going to take me that long to save up all the funds anyway, but I'd like to narrow down my decision and then go from there.

I got my 5D3 this week and am thrilled to bits with it. It's everything I wanted it to be. The best of the 5D2 and the best of the 7D in one camera plus a little bit more. That's not to say I didn't hesitate when I saw the price of the 5D3 however.

The price thing is my biggest detractor from the 5D3.  It just seems like a lot to spend and I tend to over analyze things and have seen a lot of people having issues with it...but their issues seem to be in things I don't tend to care much about, but it still gives me pause.

If your main interest is landscapes then I actually think you'll appreciate a full frame camera more than a crop. And if fast focus isn't so important then maybe a 5D2 will be perfect for you. I like to shoot some sports which is why the 5D3 AF is so important to me.

Saying that, if you also shoot wildlife then maybe the 7D will be best for you as you can get longer reach with your current lenses and fire a burst of shots off to try to capture 'the moment'.

You know, you could always get a 5D2 and a 7D for the price of a 5D3. Then you could have a landscape camera and a wildlife camera. You'd never need to swap a lens when you're out and about again!

Do you do much low light work? If so the 5D3 starts to be the more attractive option.

I definitely think I want to go FF, but I do enjoy doing wildlife at times.  Though you raise a good point with buying a 5D2 and a 7D for the price of a 5D3.  I honestly hadn't even thought about that....hmmmmm....

And any low light work I do is usually just shooting landscapes at sunset or sunrise.  Occasionally some star traces or something like that, so I'm not sure how much of a benefit the 5D3 would give me there either.  I've never really worked with any of the 5D models.

Thanks for all your input.  Gives me some more things to think about!
"There are no rules for good photograph's. There are only good photograph's." -Ansel Adams

lpwphoto

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »

Pick your poison. ;D

Another good thought that I had briefly considered but shoved aside in my mind.  My reasoning being that with the lower MP count on the 5Dc, wouldn't that affect how big I could go with enlargements?  I'd really like to be able to make at least 40x60 high quality enlargements with whatever I end up purchasing.  Thoughts or input on that? 

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 04:55:43 PM »

Pick your poison. ;D

Another good thought that I had briefly considered but shoved aside in my mind.  My reasoning being that with the lower MP count on the 5Dc, wouldn't that affect how big I could go with enlargements?  I'd really like to be able to make at least 40x60 high quality enlargements with whatever I end up purchasing.  Thoughts or input on that?

If you want to print something that's 5 feet wide and want ultra-tack sharpness at a super-close viewing distance, I dont believe any DSLR will provide that kind of detail.

The reason you print large is to move the viewing distance of the print father back to make your photo have Impact. This is called Scale. A good example of scale is printing a 6 foot photo of a tiny little mouse. Why would you print so large for such a small mouse?

If the viewing distance is moved back to a few feet, your eye will not be able to discern between 12mp or 20mp. Will 20mp make a difference? Sure, but wont be noticed at the proper viewing distance and would be a marginal improvement at a close viewing distance.

If you want ultra-sharpness for large prints and close viewing distances look into Medium or large format cameras. 35mm never will match larger formats for insane IQ.

All in all, More MP is better but 12mp could do it fine with Genuine Fractals software.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 04:55:43 PM »