October 01, 2014, 04:47:55 AM

Author Topic: Faster cheapish prime for a wedding?  (Read 10985 times)

PhotoBadger

Faster cheapish prime for a wedding?
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »
Hi all,

Hope you can help me out a bit here - I've recklessly agreed to shoot a friend's wedding and wonder if I need something extra in the bag.

My main kit is 7D, 24-70L, 70-300L, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Sigma 10-20. And my little 400D for backup. Also got a couple of YN560 flashes

So with my fastest being f1.8 and anticipating dark reception etc, I'm wondering if it's worth looking at something faster?

I really can't justify any more posh glass yet (the 70-300 was my silly spend for this year) so if anything it's got to be at the cheaper end - under £500.

I've been considering the 50 f1.4 or, given the crop of the 7D, the Sigma 30 f1.4 - any views on these? I've seen very mixed comments about both.

Or if you think the kit is OK as is, that would be a great reassurance - I'm sure some of you remember First-Wedding Fear!

I also thought of a used 5D classic instead - it's at the outer end of sensible budget but I could always lie to the wife...

Any wisdom would be very gratefully received.

Pete

canon rumors FORUM

Faster cheapish prime for a wedding?
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Faster cheapish prime for a wedding?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
I think you are more than fine with your kit, the 50mm f/1.4 is barely gonna move your shutter speeds up at all vs the f/1.8's, and a creative use of flash will save far more shots than the 2/3 stop of light. If anything, you should be looking to grab the 430ex for candid shots, unless you have nailed the YN560's usage. Without the flash, I was stuck shooting 1/30th at my reception...with it on, I was shooting at 1/160th and 1/200th, which was more than sufficient. Unless the reception is outside, they are plenty of places to bounce the flash.

PhotoBadger

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »
Thanks for that - good call on the flash. I'm comfortable with the manual flashes (they're all I've got so I've had to learn!) but can still pull some shockers out . . .

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:40:31 PM »
Hi all,

Hope you can help me out a bit here - I've recklessly agreed to shoot a friend's wedding and wonder if I need something extra in the bag.

My main kit is 7D, 24-70L, 70-300L, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Sigma 10-20. And my little 400D for backup. Also got a couple of YN560 flashes

So with my fastest being f1.8 and anticipating dark reception etc, I'm wondering if it's worth looking at something faster?

I really can't justify any more posh glass yet (the 70-300 was my silly spend for this year) so if anything it's got to be at the cheaper end - under £500.

I've been considering the 50 f1.4 or, given the crop of the 7D, the Sigma 30 f1.4 - any views on these? I've seen very mixed comments about both.

Or if you think the kit is OK as is, that would be a great reassurance - I'm sure some of you remember First-Wedding Fear!

I also thought of a used 5D classic instead - it's at the outer end of sensible budget but I could always lie to the wife...

Pete

Thats alot of redundant gear to be using on crop system you have. Ditch the 70-300L, it will be too slow but keep it in an assitants bag or in the car. I doubt it will get much use.

A 135mm f/2 or a 70-200 2.8 will required, but the 85mm might be enough to get by with.

Get a 5D if you can. Great camera and does make your system more versatile.

You need a reflector W/ diffuser scrim for posed shots. It will make your photos amazing.

Get a reportage list!!! Scout ALL LOCATIONS AHEAD OF TIME!!! <-------This is far more important than any equipment.

Be cool and prepared for the worst. It will happen.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:47:31 PM »
Hi all,

Pete

I "uncle bobbed" a wedding with the 50 f/1.4 once and got some stunning shots -- the focal length (on APS-C) works really nicely. I was very restrained in my use of the flash because I didn't want to interfere with the "official" photographer. I haven't used the f/1.8 so can't compare them. The fraction of a stop is not in itself a compelling reason to upgrade. As others have pointed out, the flashes are essential. Even if you can get barely usable shutter speeds (e.g. around 1/30-1/60), image quality will suffer if the lighting is bad.

It really depends on your shooting style, but if I were shooting an event like this, the two focal lengths you have (50/85) would be my choices on APS-C  (135/85 on FF)

briansquibb

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »
Hi all,

Pete

Thats alot of redundant gear to be using on crop system you have. Ditch the 70-300L, it will be too slow but keep it in an assitants bag or in the car. I doubt it will get much use.

A 135mm f/2 or a 70-200 2.8 will required, but the 85mm might be enough to get by with.

Get a 5D if you can. Great camera and does make your system more versatile.

You need a reflector W/ diffuser scrim for posed shots. It will make your photos amazing.

Get a reportage list!!! Scout ALL LOCATIONS AHEAD OF TIME!!! <-------This is far more important than any equipment.

Be cool and prepared for the worst. It will happen.

The 70-300L makes a good portrait lens

IIIHobbs

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »
The 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8 can get you good results inside.

Your wide and telephoto zooms are a bit slow. Consider the 20 2.8 and the 135 2 if you feel you need more speed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »
on a crop the 50 is going to be like shooting 80 its very tight in a reception
perhaps the sigma 30f1.4 is a better choice
I usually go with a 50f1.4 and 16-35f2.8 on FF bodies for the reception
now i just wish sigma would make a 50 f1.4 like their 85
APS-H Fanboy

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »

"good" is relative to one's standards - but for for most of us, recommending a tele lens for portraits is not a sound advice I'm afraid to say.

To the op: Use your 50mm & 85mm lenses, on crop they'll result in standard portrait focal lengths, and the iq will be ok if people don't pixel-peep or expect large prints. And think about shooting that wedding if you're not feeling confident, you cannot repeat it if you screw up and wish you'd hired a pro.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »

"good" is relative to one's standards - but for for most of us, recommending a tele lens for portraits is not a sound advice I'm afraid to say.

To the op: Use your 50mm & 85mm lenses, on crop they'll result in standard portrait focal lengths, and the iq will be ok if people don't pixel-peep or expect large prints. And think about shooting that wedding if you're not feeling confident, you cannot repeat it if you screw up and wish you'd hired a pro.

hehe true I know PJ's that shoot in war zones and they say they will never shoot a wedding and that wedding togs are crazy!
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 03:24:18 AM »

Really? The 70-200 is a standard wedding lens and the IQ of the 70-300L is very,very close, especially at the short end

Perhaps you had forgotten that between 70mm and 200mm is 85mm - which is the 'standard' portrait length?

Also in weddings shallow DOF is NOT wanted for most of the shots as it is a sure way of getting shots with the further eye OOF
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:02:37 AM by briansquibb »

PhotoBadger

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 03:59:18 AM »
Thanks all - really helpful.

I should perhaps have said I've done a fair few non-wedding events so not completely out of my depth, and this is very low-key affair: the happy couple weren't planning on a 'tog at all - just rely on guests (of whom I'd be one anyway).

So the pressure is relatively low and I'm more giving a bit of structure - someone to do formals etc. But of course they're my friends and I want to do the best I can for them.

I have been on the receiving end of a useless "pro" wedding photographer (wife's arm cut off, flash directly into mirrors during ceremony, the ones of us & my mother completely lost . . .  don't get me started) so I know the perils and what it means.

So on one level I'm completely confident - no way are my friends going to go through that.

Thanks for the tips though - I'll certainly visit the locations in advance, and have booked a couple of evenings in the pub with the couple for planning key shots. The style will be quite informal / reportage - suits me and them.

Sounds like the primes should do the job, and I'll pack the reflector. I'm swinging between the sigma 30mm 1.4, and a 5Dc - though possibly that's just wishing for new toys.   

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:30:20 AM »
Really? The 70-200 is a standard wedding lens and the IQ of the 70-300L is very,very close, especially at the short end
Perhaps you had forgotten that between 70mm and 200mm is 85mm - which is the 'standard' portrait length?

Also in weddings shallow DOF is NOT wanted for most of the shots as it is a sure way of getting shots with the further eye OOF

Since I have the 70-300L I know about it's good iq. But sadly you have forgotten about two things: 1. He's using a crop camera, so the wider and is 112mm to begin with.

2. dlsrs autofocus with open aperture. You should learn about these things, just buying expensive gear is different from knowing it! There are many forum posts for the details, or use an internet search engine like Google. It doesn't matter that much with the 7d/5d2 as with a 5d3 af system, but all the same most capable photogs will tell you that af'ing at f4 rather than f2.8 in lower light results in less keepers, even if you *shoot* at smaller dof for safety.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:30:20 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 04:49:27 AM »

Since I have the 70-300L I know about it's good iq. But sadly you have forgotten about two things: 1. He's using a crop camera, so the wider and is 112mm to begin with.

2. dlsrs autofocus with open aperture. You should learn about these things, just buying expensive gear is different from knowing it! There are many forum posts for the details, or use an internet search engine like Google. It doesn't matter that much with the 7d/5d2 as with a 5d3 af system, but all the same most capable photogs will tell you that af'ing at f4 rather than f2.8 in lower light results in less keepers, even if you *shoot* at smaller dof for safety.

Well I guess I must have been doing weddings wrong for the last 40 years.

Most of the weddings I get to are in daylight so the 70-300 works very well. On film a 135 was the standard portrait lens, 50 and 35 for the group pictures.

As a flash fanatic most of the lowlight are very flash assisted so the I get better IQ at low iso , contrast and colour. Certainly most Bride and Groom pictures are flashed up as most pro wedding togs will do.

You haven't a clue what kit I have, what I know about it or the volume of pictures I take - so be careful about telling people to go google for something that they knew and were using over 30 years ago.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57:39 AM »
You haven't a clue what kit I have, what I know about it or the volume of pictures I take - so be careful about telling people to go google for something that they knew and were using over 30 years ago.

You should put the "You haven't a clue what kit I have" phrase into your tag line, it would save you some typing. But even as the standard sentence for anyone saying you got it wrong, it doesn't help in this case because the 70-300L on crop imho just isn't a wedding lens - and as I wrote, I have it, too.

Me advising you to expand on your current knowledge was due to this very unusual f4 af'ing advice. If you want to give sound advice to people you should at least mention potential problems or drawbacks - but simply stating "The 70-300L makes a good portrait lens" to someone who wants to do a wedding and doesn't have much knowledge is much too general and clearly falls short. But I know you mean well, and there are other people around - so no harm done.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57:39 AM »