November 23, 2014, 12:33:38 PM

Author Topic: Faster cheapish prime for a wedding?  (Read 11313 times)

briansquibb

Re: Faster cheapish prime for a wedding?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 05:31:25 AM »
The OP has a 70-300 - hence the comment to encourage him to take it.

I am disappointed that you are not prepared to listen or learn from other peoples experience

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 05:31:25 AM »

Freshprince08

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Double Take Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 06:53:38 AM »
Hi all,

Hope you can help me out a bit here - I've recklessly agreed to shoot a friend's wedding and wonder if I need something extra in the bag.

My main kit is 7D, 24-70L, 70-300L, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Sigma 10-20. And my little 400D for backup. Also got a couple of YN560 flashes

So with my fastest being f1.8 and anticipating dark reception etc, I'm wondering if it's worth looking at something faster?

I really can't justify any more posh glass yet (the 70-300 was my silly spend for this year) so if anything it's got to be at the cheaper end - under £500.

I've been considering the 50 f1.4 or, given the crop of the 7D, the Sigma 30 f1.4 - any views on these? I've seen very mixed comments about both.

Or if you think the kit is OK as is, that would be a great reassurance - I'm sure some of you remember First-Wedding Fear!

I also thought of a used 5D classic instead - it's at the outer end of sensible budget but I could always lie to the wife...

Any wisdom would be very gratefully received.

Pete

Anyway, back to the OP.... :)

Congrats on taking the plunge on your first wedding! I was in the same position a couple of years ago. Scary as hell but it's a great feeling if when you pull it off.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the best thing you could do is to buy a 5Dc (or hire a 5Dii/iii). I think your lenses will have a new leash of life on FF - I started off with a 500D/7D too. If you didn't have the decent set of lenses you already have I would say invest in this area, but your 24-70, 70-300 and primes should be quite sufficient. I'm not sure if the Sigma 10-20 is FF compatible or not, however the 24-70 will suddenly feel a lot wider on a 5D so should be fine for group shots.

Aside from this, I think the 50mm 1.4 is a decent step up from the 1.8; the aperture helps a bit but more for the focus speed, build and bokeh. I have a lot of love for the 1.8, but not for it's bokeh!! The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is gorgeous too, if you can find a good copy. My fav lens for reception work is the 35L however that is out of your budget (to buy!)

All the usual advice (scout the venues, shot list, manage the couple's expectations, shoot in RAW, know your gear inside and out, blindfolded, take your backup body, spare cards and batteries etc) definitely applies. I strongly recommend renting gear too, especially if your aren't using it frequently.

Good luck! :)
www.double-take-photography.com | 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | EF 35mm f1.4L | EF 50mm f1.4 | EF 85mm f1.8 | EF 100mm f2.8 Macro | EF 135mm f2.0L | EF 17-40 f4L | EF 24-70 f2.8L | Sigma 50mm f1.4 | Sigma 85mm f1.4 | 3 x 580EXii | 430EXii | BlackRapid RS-7 | BlackRapid RS-5 | ThinkTank Airport Security

mitchell3417

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Bennnett Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 09:00:43 AM »
I think you can shoot a great wedding with the lenses and bodies you have.

I would work on a way to get those two flashes off camera for the reception and light the entire hall by bouncing them off a wall or ceiling. Get some cheap radio transmitters and point those flashes in the corner. You can light a reception site with 1/4 power. I do it, and it works great. It also means your lenses don't have to be super fast. And you can get those flashes off camera for $60 for the cheap stuff.
I enjoy taking pictures!!!
flickr  MB Photo

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
the 70-300L on crop imho just isn't a wedding lens - and as I wrote, I have it, too
I'll disagree, with the caveat being that the ceremony has to be outdoors. I just used my 70-200 f/4L IS to shoot a friends wedding, and I wouldn't have been able to shoot the ceremony well (the whole ceremony lasted maybe 15mins) without a zoom that allowed me decent reach. I had no problems with AF, as it was bright outside. Sure, indoors the 70-300 would struggle, but outdoors its perfectly fine. Better than using the 85mm, because it allows you to stay out of the way, and you don't have to crawl over people's chairs to get the shot you need.

And I agree with Mitchell, flash is gonna do you the most good. Wireless triggers would do it, and you can use it both for the preparation shots and for the reception.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 09:26:23 AM »
The OP has a 70-300 - hence the comment to encourage him to take it.

I am disappointed that you are not prepared to listen or learn from other peoples experience

I still think a 70-200 2.8 is a better option. Extra stop if you need it and if you don't, dont worry about it. He doesn't have to buy one, just rent it.

As for the 70-300L, it more weight and extra bulk to carry on you. Throw it in the assistants bag or leave it in the car.

24-70 on a 5D
70-200 on the 7D
50mm and 85mm primes for creative shots.

Done.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »
Hi all,

Hope you can help me out a bit here - I've recklessly agreed to shoot a friend's wedding and wonder if I need something extra in the bag.

My main kit is 7D, 24-70L, 70-300L, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Sigma 10-20. And my little 400D for backup. Also got a couple of YN560 flashes

So with my fastest being f1.8 and anticipating dark reception etc, I'm wondering if it's worth looking at something faster?

I really can't justify any more posh glass yet (the 70-300 was my silly spend for this year) so if anything it's got to be at the cheaper end - under £500.

I've been considering the 50 f1.4 or, given the crop of the 7D, the Sigma 30 f1.4 - any views on these? I've seen very mixed comments about both.

Or if you think the kit is OK as is, that would be a great reassurance - I'm sure some of you remember First-Wedding Fear!

I also thought of a used 5D classic instead - it's at the outer end of sensible budget but I could always lie to the wife...

Any wisdom would be very gratefully received.

Pete

Thats alot of redundant gear to be using on crop system you have. Ditch the 70-300L, it will be too slow but keep it in an assitants bag or in the car. I doubt it will get much use.

A 135mm f/2 or a 70-200 2.8 will required, but the 85mm might be enough to get by with.

Get a 5D if you can. Great camera and does make your system more versatile.

You need a reflector W/ diffuser scrim for posed shots. It will make your photos amazing.

Get a reportage list!!! Scout ALL LOCATIONS AHEAD OF TIME!!! <-------This is far more important than any equipment.

Be cool and prepared for the worst. It will happen.

The 70-300L makes a good portrait lens

Indeed. Also, depending on style, it can help tremendously with the just bride and groom from the back of the auditorium shot. I used a 70-200, but, if the room is bright enough, I am more than certain a 70-300 will do fine.
What is truth?

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »
I found a few recent photos taken outside with just using a Large 60" scrim. Its a quick setup and get good results for posed photos.

Its great for weddings too if there is harsh 12 o'clock light.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:03:07 AM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »

PhotoBadger

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
Again, lots of very useful stuff there - thank you all. Seriously looking at a 5D now, rather than a lens.

On the long lens argument (gosh, so sorry - I didn't mean to start a fight but really appreciate that you care  ;)), I take the point on the 70-200 and will consider renting though there aren't many options locally.

I think I'd probably only use the 70-300 for outdoor candids from an unobtrusive distance. And I'm very happy to let the wifesistant lug it around.

Interesting comments on the wireless flash for the reception. I do have wireless triggers but had originally discounted it as too much faffing around, potentially intrusive and at risk of kids booting the light stands over. But I'll take them with me when I go to check the venue, see how it looks.

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
Your kit is fine.

For telephoto shots, I'd use the 85/1.8 as much as possible.  I've used this lens at weddings and I found it perfect for reception speeches, candids, and telephoto shots at the ceremony.

Be careful with the 50/1.8.  I've used this lens at weddings and a substantial percentage was ruined because of misfocus.  The 85/1.8 is just so much better.  I'm not sure if 50/1.4 would be a worthwhile investment - it's pretty close to 85/1.8.  For 50 mm I'd use the 24-70.

I do own Sigma 30/1.4 and it's a nice lens.  It has its optical foibles (doesn't get sharp when stopped down) but bokeh is exceptionally smooth.  I can't wholeheartedly recommend this lens, but it's fun to shoot wide open.  A specialty lens.   

Now, going beyond 85 mm.  I think Brian's suggestion of 70-300 if it's outside daylight is a good one.  70-200/2.8 would be ideal though.  You could look into renting it, but I think you can shoot a wedding competently without and just use 85/1.8.  Maybe think about the couple and think about their expectations.  I've got a Tokina 50-135/2.8 for these type of photos but sadly they don't make this lens anymore....

BTW another option for a fast cheapish prime is 135/2.8 SF (just don't use the SF part, so 1980s...)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:53:02 AM by AJ »

crasher8

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »
I'd say get a 100 f/2 and ditch that 85. Too much CA (in the 85) and you have enough PP to deal with in an event that big. It's the forgotten lens iyam.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »
Again, lots of very useful stuff there - thank you all. Seriously looking at a 5D now, rather than a lens.

On the long lens argument (gosh, so sorry - I didn't mean to start a fight but really appreciate that you care  ;)), I take the point on the 70-200 and will consider renting though there aren't many options locally.

I think I'd probably only use the 70-300 for outdoor candids from an unobtrusive distance. And I'm very happy to let the wifesistant lug it around.

Interesting comments on the wireless flash for the reception. I do have wireless triggers but had originally discounted it as too much faffing around, potentially intrusive and at risk of kids booting the light stands over. But I'll take them with me when I go to check the venue, see how it looks.

I would recommend not buying an original 5D right now, especially if you need it for weddings.  2005 release date, no way, get a 5D Mark II.  Hands down it's worth the money for what you'll be doing and you need the reliability.  You'll have no idea on shutter count on a 5D.  You will notice the resolution difference, sorry.  Did you really mean an original 5D?

If you already have the 70-300L, use it.  Outside.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Ninjajack

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »
on a crop the 50 is going to be like shooting 80 its very tight in a reception
perhaps the sigma 30f1.4 is a better choice
I usually go with a 50f1.4 and 16-35f2.8 on FF bodies for the reception
now i just wish sigma would make a 50 f1.4 like their 85

I'll second the Sigma 30 f/1.4

It may help you get some slightly wider shots than the 50, I love mine on a crop camera.

bigmag13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »
when I shot my first wedding I had the Sigma 30/1.4 on my old 50D! saved a ton of cash and got GREAT results. it was sharp @ 1.4 and cut glass @ 2.0

first @2.8
second @5.0
third @5.6
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:27:07 PM by bigmag13 »
5D3,5D2,6D,70-200 2.8Lii, 135L, 24-70Lii, Sigma 15 fisheye, Sigma 35 1.4(A), Zeiss 2/50, 600rt x3 and a st-e3 RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
to the OP: honestly you are are going to be fine with your current set up.  If anything do as others have suggested and buy/rent a FF body. 

Obviously if you are doing this for friends you want to make sure their day is special, but since you aren't being paid don't go over board with a bunch of stuff you have to cart around with you all day.  After all I assume you want to enjoy the day celebrating your friends as much as you want to also capture it.  Set expecations low, then they will be pleasantly surprised when you deliver the goods! 

If it was me, I'd bring the 7D, 24-70, a flash, and be done with it. 

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »
to the OP: honestly you are are going to be fine with your current set up.  If anything do as others have suggested and buy/rent a FF body. 

Obviously if you are doing this for friends you want to make sure their day is special, but since you aren't being paid don't go over board with a bunch of stuff you have to cart around with you all day.  After all I assume you want to enjoy the day celebrating your friends as much as you want to also capture it.  Set expecations low, then they will be pleasantly surprised when you deliver the goods! 

If it was me, I'd bring the 7D, 24-70, a flash, and be done with it.

+1
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »