Gear Talk > PowerShot

Canon G1x or Sony RX100 for vacation and light duty

(1/3) > >>

KKCFamilyman:
I have a Canon 5d Mk iii and am looking for a sidekick for quick outings and vacations. I have come to the Canon G1x but it's size is a little big or the Sony RX100 which looks promising. I want dslr like IQ and semi small package otherwise it's no better than a CSC. Anyone have any input would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning toward the Sony since it's actually pocketable and has a macro mode. I do like how the G1x has been said to have low end rebel quality and has a hot shoe. I am torn. Help.

neuroanatomist:
Torn over the hotshoe?  You want portable then you want to carry a Speedlite to mount on the camera?  Get the Sony.

KKCFamilyman:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on June 21, 2012, 09:47:04 PM ---Torn over the hotshoe?  You want portable then you want to carry a Speedlite to mount on the camera?  Get the Sony.

--- End quote ---

That makes sense. I guess if it's portable a speedlite does not help. Also it will actually fit in my pocket and aid for rides and candids. I just did not want to work with another system but hey thats what I have to do.

I have lowered my gear for my vacation.
At this point
5d3
24-105
50 or 40mm
270 exii
batteries and sd/CF cards
Considering Tamrac Evo 6 or lowepro Fastpack 350
While I want the 70-200. It is too much for a vacation I think. As it  is I don't even want to think about that heat and all that gear around my neck and back.

wilerty:
If you are going to carry all that stuff than get the RX100.

In my case I sold all "that stuff" and took a G1X, 320EX, and an S95 on my last trip.  Different strokes ...

In my old age (66) and with a terrible back, I haven't carried more than one body and one lens at the same time for several years.  I might travel with multiple lenses, but I only carry one at a time around my neck.   Even that got to be to heavy, so I switched to the G1X. 

DenEsteban:
I've had a G1 X for 4 months. In terms of image quality and optics it's superb (I'm a pro and shoot 5DII and 5D III). My main complaints are it focuses slow and the macro is very limited. But I'd still go for it over the RX100 - it has a much larger sensor and that's where you get image quality. The built-in flash work surprisingly well too.
But forget flash 99.9% of the time. You can get beautiful images from this camera at high ISO - natural light is better so take advantage of what the G1 X offers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version