October 24, 2014, 04:06:02 AM

Author Topic: Is it too early for the first "The Canon 1DX sucks" posting?  (Read 22639 times)

CanonCollector

I was just wondering who would be the first...why not me? Here is a warm up for the inner masochist in you...

It is really too late in coming out so I am going to Nikon again.
I have dust in my sensor. Should I return it or cry now?
It is too expensive and I won't stand for it. (Expected response A: It is cheaper than the last one when converted to Yen in 1995 when adjusted for inflation and the price of rice in Taiwan)
HELP! I don't like the wedding pictures I just took with it. Any ideas? Am I in the right career?
There is banding in ISO over 25,600 and my shoes are too tight when I shoot with it.
I don't understand and don't like the auto focus system whatever it is.
Why is it less available than the new friggin' Rebel? Does that make it more expensive on purpose?
There a color cast when I look at images from the sofa just over the TV in the evening. The D800 doesn't do that.
I 'm not a pixel peeper but...
Maybe if they made a APS-H sensor version it would be perfect and I could afford one.
I think Canon screwed us again, but what L lens is best for shooting my spawn when they are running in the dark?
Will the auto focus be better than the 7D or at least my 40D? Should I sell my Mark II?
I haven't seen one but I am sure Canon screwed us.
What is the best lens you don't own?
Which is best queue to complain about? Adorama, B&H or Amazon?
I have ten thousand dollars I don't know what to do with. Do you?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:31:53 AM by CanonCollector »

canon rumors FORUM

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Is it too early for the first "The Canon 1DX sucks" posting?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
I was just wondering who would be the first...why not me? Here is a warm up for the inner masochist in you...

It is too expensive and I won't stand for it. (Expected response A: It is cheaper than the last one converted Yen in 1995 when adjusted for inflation and the price of rice in Taiwan)
HELP! I don't like the wedding pictures I just took with it. Any ideas? Am I in the right career?
There is banding in ISO over 25,600 and my shoes are too tight when I shoot with it.
Why is it less available than the new friggin' Rebel? Does that make it more expensive on purpose?
There a color cast when I look at images from the sofa just over the TV in the evening. The D800 doesn't do that.
Maybe if they made a APS-H sensor version it would be perfect and I could afford one.
I think Canon screwed us again, but what L lens is best for shooting my spawn when they are running in the dark?
Will the auto focus be better than the 7D or at least my 40D? Should I sell my Mark II?

The 1Dx is the most advanced and complex camera canon has made to date but...

No EG-S focusing screens >:(

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:37:38 AM »

It is too expensive and I won't stand for it. (Expected response A: It is cheaper than the last one converted Yen in 1995 when adjusted for inflation and the price of rice in Taiwan)

Are you sure the standard 1DX focus screen isn't equivelent to an EG-S screen?
Tom

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »

Yes, its laser etched.

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »

Yes, its laser etched.

How is the S - super precision matte made? Isn't it also a laser etched matte?

My point it the standard EC-CV is a new focus screen with this camera. You're already complaining that the software doesn't support EC-S focus screens, maybe that is because the NEW EC-CV screen makes them unnecessary.

Doesn't matter if that's true or not, the Nikon fan bois will grab onto this for years, 'the Canon 1DX doesn't support the EC-S focus screen', 'but, the EC-CV made the EC-S obsolete', 'doesn't matter Canon messed up again, they should have added support for the EC-S screen, my Nikon camera supports every focus screen made since 1937'
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:07:23 PM by TTMartin »
Tom

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
No ironies here?  :)

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »
There's a light leak issue.  Only 18MP (must suck).  Shadow IQ is worse than 1Ds III.  Images are "soft."  Only takes 2 flash cards.  Isn't mirrorless.  D800's better.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »

It is too expensive and I won't stand for it. (Expected response A: It is cheaper than the last one when converted to Yen in 1995 when adjusted for inflation and the price of rice in Taiwan)

Comparing the jpgs the D800 is far better and at half the price

Why not by a Hasselblad for a few dollars more

The new Nokia phone gets a better score from DxO

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »

Yes, its laser etched.

My point it the standard EC-CV is a new focus screen with this camera. You're already complaining that the software doesn't support EC-S focus screens, maybe that is because the NEW EC-CV screen makes them unnecessary.

Doesn't matter if that's true or not, the Nikon fan bois will grab onto this for years, 'the Canon 1DX doesn't support the EC-S focus screen', 'but, the EC-CV made the EC-S obsolete', 'doesn't matter Canon messed up again, they should have added support for the EC-S screen, my Nikon camera supports every focus screen made since 1937'

EG-S screens are fine Ground glass I believe and yes, it makes a whopping difference for Fast Primes.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:54:56 PM by RLPhoto »

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »
No ironies here?  :)

Yes, I did take him seriously, because unfortunately that isn't the first post I'd seen complaining about that.

But, guess I do have to laugh at myself if he was being facetious.

EG-S screens are fine Ground glass I believe and yes, it makes a whopping difference for Fast Primes.

Guess he wasn't being facetious.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:02:14 PM by TTMartin »
Tom

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »
The new Nokia phone gets a better score from DxO

^ LMFAO
Tom

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »

Sorry, no.  The EC-CV screen is 'new' because unlike previous 1-series stock focus screens, this one has no AF points, surrounding oval, and spot circle etched onto the screen, since the transmissive LCD makes them unnecessary.  It's still microetched and does not show the true DoF of lenses faster than ~f/2.8.

Note that the Ec-S screen can be used, it just messes up the metering.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »
Wow, bashing a camera that you don't even own. Have you even used one? This camera is built for professional photojournalists and wedding photographers in mind. The majority of us don't need or want 36 megapixels because that is not great for working out in the field. When you submit photos to most wire services you only need about 2000 x 2000 pixels at most. The samples I have seen at ISO 6400 are super clean and the ones I saw at ISO 40k had no banding (maybe if you push it a stop or two).

Go ahead and switch to Nikon if you want, then after you find out how hard it is to get Nikon bodies and lenses you'll want to come back to Canon.

For 10k? I'd buy a lot of 600EX-RTs with a 1DX.

Edit: haha I should have read the first line. But yes all of those are likely.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:16:39 PM by MarkWebbPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »

Sorry, no.  The EC-CV screen is 'new' because unlike previous 1-series stock focus screens, this one has no AF points, surrounding oval, and spot circle etched onto the screen, since the transmissive LCD makes them unnecessary.  It's still microetched and does not show the true DoF of lenses faster than ~f/2.8.

Note that the Ec-S screen can be used, it just messes up the metering.

Wonder where you read this?
A quick google search found a post stating that about the 5D MkIII, all other posts stating that about the 1DX were from you.
Tom

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
Wow, bashing a camera that you don't even own. Have you even used one? This camera is built for professional photojournalists and wedding photographers in mind. The majority of us don't need or want 36 megapixels because that is not great for working out in the field. When you submit photos to most wire services you only need about 2000 x 2000 pixels at most. The samples I have seen at ISO 6400 are super clean and the ones I saw at ISO 40k had no banding (maybe if you push it a stop or two).

Go ahead and switch to Nikon if you want, then after you find out how hard it is to get Nikon bodies and lenses you'll want to come back to Canon.

For 10k? I'd buy a lot of 600EX-RTs with a 1DX.

No worries Mark.  It's a joke thread; or at least that's the way I took it.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »