November 26, 2014, 10:42:32 AM

Author Topic: Is it too early for the first "The Canon 1DX sucks" posting?  (Read 22986 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Is it too early for the first "The Canon 1DX sucks" posting?
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

I believe that sounds like an apt definition of one who, in the very same post in which he apologizes for calling a group of people idiots, proceeds to refer to the same group as dumb braggarts.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2012, 10:32:58 AM »
My original point about the firmware was on topic, if people then criticise I have a right to defend myself.  That really isn't trolling.   

Health to use your 1dx mate, i hope it's the exception to the indisputable recall and qc issues that are well documented as having affected a fair proportion of canons bodies.

The thread begins "Is it too early for the first "The Canon 1DX sucks" posting?", maybe the tongue in cheek poser invites a certain kind of response.  Sorry I touched a nerve.

None of that makes me a troll.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
I apologised for the particular form of words, and the offence caused, not for the sentiment which I went onto express in toned down terms.

It could be the 1dx, it could be a new flashgun, it could be a new varient of faster flash cards, my approach is the same... Don't early adopt.  I think those who do are basically unpaid beta testers, and I think they get ripped off, and it wouldn't be me...

I'm really glad that some folk have to be first, because it sorts the products out for folk who are prepared to wait a little while (and pay a bit less into the bargain)

Firmware v1.0.0 is usually bad news.  Even my 7d wasn't entirely reliable with udma cards until v1.2.3, so it's a lesson learned the hard way

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
It could be the 1dx, it could be a new flashgun, it could be a new varient of faster flash cards, my approach is the same... Don't early adopt.

No, no, no - please *do* early adopt all of you, will you? This ensures that Canon gets a premium profit and that I can get a debugged product after the first price drop :-) ... to give something back, I'll continue early adopting magic lantern releases which matches my budget (=free).

paul13walnut5

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »
+1

Succinctly put.

Don't suppose you are installing ML via a mac?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
My original point about the firmware was on topic, if people then criticise I have a right to defend myself.  That really isn't trolling.

The first part of the offensive post was about the firmware, was on topic, and no one criticized you for that.  It's the second part, "That said I'm glad rich idiots beta test new cameras by buying them 4 months before me," that garnered the criticism - and rightfully so, as it was a rude, unnecessary remark (as were your subsequent repetitions on the same theme). 

FWIW, if my livelihood depended on my photo gear, I wouldn't be an early adopter.  Likewise, the 'beta testing' of scientific instruments is done on duplicate instruments outside of the production environment.  It seems you're incapable of grasping the concept that maybe some of us are buying a 1D X from a desire for a very responsive FF body robust enough to be treated like the tool it is, and that we're going to actually go out and shoot pictures with it. 

I apologised for the particular form of words, and the offence caused, not for the sentiment which I went onto express in toned down terms.
Toned down?  Really?  Metacognition check.  The original:
rich idiots
...and the 'toned down' version:
have a) an excess of idle cash and b) are pretty dumb

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who sees that 'couched in fancier language' does not equate to 'toned down'.

Had you simply stated that being an early adopter carries risks which you, personally, find unacceptable, that's one thing.  Calling early 1D X adopters 'idiots who are buying it for bragging rights' crosses the line, no matter the particular form of words.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

briansquibb

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »

The first part of the offensive post was about the firmware, was on topic, and no one criticized you for that.  It's the second part, "That said I'm glad rich idiots beta test new cameras by buying them 4 months before me," that garnered the criticism - and rightfully so, as it was a rude, unnecessary remark (as were your subsequent repetitions on the same theme). 

FWIW, if my livelihood depended on my photo gear, I wouldn't be an early adopter.  Likewise, the 'beta testing' of scientific instruments is done on duplicate instruments outside of the production environment.  It seems you're incapable of grasping the concept that maybe some of us are buying a 1D X from a desire for a very responsive FF body robust enough to be treated like the tool it is, and that we're going to actually go out and shoot pictures with it. 

rich idiots

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who sees that 'couched in fancier language' does not equate to 'toned down'.

Had you simply stated that being an early adopter carries risks which you, personally, find unacceptable, that's one thing.  Calling early 1D X adopters 'idiots who are buying it for bragging rights' crosses the line, no matter the particular form of words.

... and the threatening post

@briansquibb
Call me a troll again and I'll come round to yours and hide under your bridge!

was not pleasant either ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2012, 12:38:36 PM »
Don't suppose you are installing ML via a mac?

Um, no - but what has a the computer type to do with installing ml? It's all done via the card: put the ml autoexec.bin + appropriate firmware on it (it only sets the boot flag in Canon's nvram), install this firmware once, done. From now on ml will be read ml from autoexec.bin unless you press half-shutter when turning the camera on to prevent it.

infilm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
my shots are underexposed with the lens cap on :o
LMFAO!!
Canon 7D gripped - 5D2 gripped - 16-35 f2.8l - 24-70 f2.8l - 70-200 f.2.8 IS l - 35 f1.4l - 50 f1.2l - 85 f1.2 l - 135 f2 l - 300 f4 l Tokina 10-17 Fisheye - 580EX II - And not much drive space left on my computer...

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »

rich idiots

paul13walnut5

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
My threat?  Oh come on!

paul13walnut5

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
@marsu42

Its a more convoluted process to create a root directory on a mac formatted sd card.  It's a bit of a pain, especially as i tend to overwite & format my cards each use.  When I ran it on the t2i i had to select & install firmware version each time, which seemed wrong, it seemed to just open and runfor most folk.  Was hoping to get to the bottom of it.  I'm probably doing something dumb.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2012, 02:11:27 AM »
Its a more convoluted process to create a root directory on a mac formatted sd card.  It's a bit of a pain, especially as i tend to overwite & format my cards each use. 

Macs never seize to amaze me :-p ... maybe that's ml build a feature into their latest releases to clear the card of everything other than the ml files.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2012, 02:11:27 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2012, 05:15:42 AM »
Possibly, will go onto their development page and read up, could be the way forward for me, cheers

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2012, 05:15:42 AM »