October 20, 2014, 06:21:02 AM

Author Topic: Any reliable & cheap parallel product to the Canon Tc-80n3?  (Read 5769 times)

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
I'm looking for an intervalometer for the 5Dmk2, and the Tc-80n3 is insanely priced.

The basic function I'm looking for is 'shoot a photo every X secs/min till I stop it, the battery runs out, or the 2nd coming, whichever comes first'.

canon rumors FORUM

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Any reliable & cheap parallel product to the Canon Tc-80n3?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
This: Vello ShutterBoss Timer Remote

Used to be the Pearstone ShutterBoss, which is the one I got, but this one should be identical.

Edit: Actually, I wanted to control a Rebel as well, so I got the Rebel version (sub-mini jack) and sacrificed a cheap N3 remote and made a sub-mini-to-N3 adapter. They might sell such an adapter nowadays, though.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:26:56 PM by JerryKnight »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 05:29:08 PM »
Just type 'tc-80n3' into ebay, you'll get a few hundred results.
Apparently the Link Delight ones aren't so bad for $20, google that and you'll get a lot of happy people. One major difference though is that the Link Delight ones don't have a locking plug, so it may fall out occasionally.
Still, cheaper than the genuine version (that said, I got my genuine tc-80n3 off ebay, 2nd hand for about $50).
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:48:23 PM »
I just use these ones
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Timer-Remote-Shutter-Canon-5D-II-50D-40D-7D-TC-80N3-/170513314850?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item27b362b422
only pain in the ass is there is no on / off switch so you just have to take the batteries out when finished
not a big deal really

I also have theis app on my iphone
http://www.dslrbot.com/
and a little IR transmitter as they show
APS-H Fanboy

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »
only pain in the ass is there is no on / off switch so you just have to take the batteries out when finished
not a big deal really

To be fair, you can't turn off the genuine Canon TC-80N3 either.
I keep my battery in there, but reversed, it's perfectly usable as a remote switch without power. If I want timer functions, then I just take the battery out, reverse it, and use it as intended.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:10:03 AM »
not a big deal really

I keep my battery in there, but reversed, it's perfectly usable as a remote switch without power. If I want timer functions, then I just take the battery out, reverse it, and use it as intended.

I didnt know that, never used the genuine one :P
APS-H Fanboy

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »
Just type 'tc-80n3' into ebay, you'll get a few hundred results.

Damn - there are a few that at least look like original Tc-80n3 by top sellers and cost <$50.

Where I live, it costs $200+ w/ all taxes included.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Thanks to all!

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »

Used to be the Pearstone ShutterBoss, which is the one I got, but this one should be identical.

Edit: Actually, I wanted to control a Rebel as well, so I got the Rebel version (sub-mini jack) and sacrificed a cheap N3 remote and made a sub-mini-to-N3 adapter. They might sell such an adapter nowadays, though.

for some rebels there was/is a hacked firmware with a solid intervalometer included

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 01:41:59 PM »

I had a Canon Wired Remote from my Rebel/Elan 7 days and converted it to use on the 5D2.  I bought the following adapter with an "N3" plug on the end (see link below).  Then I picked up a 2.5mm (F) to 3.5mm (M) stereo converter from Radio Shack for buck or two.  I connected one into the other and it worked without a problem!  :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615567-REG/RPS_Lighting_RS_RTC_C3_RTS_Adapter_for_RS_RT06.html

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

JerryKnight

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 04:20:22 PM »
It seems to me, after seeing the ones listed here, that many of these timer remotes are all clones of each other, including the "official" TC-80N3..

I had a Canon Wired Remote from my Rebel/Elan 7 days and converted it to use on the 5D2.  I bought the following adapter with an "N3" plug on the end (see link below).  Then I picked up a 2.5mm (F) to 3.5mm (M) stereo converter from Radio Shack for buck or two.  I connected one into the other and it worked without a problem!  :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615567-REG/RPS_Lighting_RS_RTC_C3_RTS_Adapter_for_RS_RT06.html

That looks awfully familiar.. I may have done exactly that. I know I've hacked at least one N3 cable, but it might have been for an Arduino intervalometer project..

for some rebels there was/is a hacked firmware with a solid intervalometer included

If you're referring to CHDK, it doesn't support the 450D (XSi). Would be nice, but none of my cameras are supported, even my point & shoot (SD960IS).

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
Heh, I don't know if you can have reliable and cheap at the same time, but as others have stated eBay has tons of them and for the 30 bucks they are asking, that's probably as reliable and cheap as you're going to get.   ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

AdamJ

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
not a big deal really

The absence of an off switch is mentioned as a downside quite often and I don't really understand why. The power consumption is minuscule, probably equivalent to a digital watch, yet nobody fears leaving the battery in a digital watch.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »
If you've got an Iphone, Trigger-trap APP and hardware works pretty well for me.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:01:38 PM »
not a big deal really

The absence of an off switch is mentioned as a downside quite often and I don't really understand why. The power consumption is minuscule, probably equivalent to a digital watch, yet nobody fears leaving the battery in a digital watch.
i dont really sonsider it a downside as such more of a mild annoyance i just keeps some AAA eneloops in the bag with it and put them in as needed
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:01:38 PM »