October 31, 2014, 01:18:13 PM

Author Topic: PocketWizard MiniTT vs Phottix Odin for HSS  (Read 8087 times)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
PocketWizard MiniTT vs Phottix Odin for HSS
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »
The 200th sync speed on the 5D3 is a bit limiting, 300th on the 1D4 is less limiting.
Canon HSS is a godsend but uses battery power like a hungry monster.
I'm running 580EX & 580EXII off Quantum TurboT3 batteries.

So, PocketWizard MiniTT vs Phottix Odin for HSS.
Which one works best for my current 5D3 & 1D4 with 580's?

Thanks in advance.

PW

canon rumors FORUM

PocketWizard MiniTT vs Phottix Odin for HSS
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: PocketWizard MiniTT vs Phottix Odin for HSS
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:45:35 PM »
I personally use the Odins and they work great so I vote for them, I chose odins over pocket wizards as there
is a mix of opinions out there about pocket wizards being good or not, lots of lovers and haters, also the odins are cheaper, odins can fire studio strobes up to 1/8000 sec too, I'm not sure if pocket wizards can do that
APS-H Fanboy

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:01:24 AM »
My prime reason for looking at this hardware is for flash-on-camera HSS purposes. If the PW MiniTT works on 1D4 & 5D3 in this function with the hypersync type of power efficiencies then that is a big plus. Reading up indicates that Odins have a great rep for reliability but it's not clear to me if they enable similar power usage benefits as the PW MiniTT.

PW

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:14:25 AM »
you are talking about higher flash output power while retaining the higher shutter speeds rather than the reduced flash power using the built in HSS function?

if thats true then odins will let you fire the flash at full power with whatever sync speed you want up to 1/8000

i did have some sync issues at 1/250 specifically  not sure why

if you give me some specific idea of what you are chasing i can do some tests over the next few days and post em up
APS-H Fanboy

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 05:24:11 AM »
I got my 580's to sync at 1/400s (with proper SYNC, not Highspeed) with the Flex system from Pocket Wizard, which was frikkin awesome!! The problems was that they were useless in everywhich way when it comes to taking them out of the bag and trying to get them to trigger, plus, the 1/400s HSS was only at 1/1 output. But it worked great and the Odin's doesn't have an option like this at all, and if I go up to 1/400s on them, it's like on camera and every other trigger, you get zero power.

I use to 580's in 60x90 softbox with each it's own CP-E4 pack, and if I go past 1/200s sync, I get no power. I usually use my flashes at near full power, so I don't have anything to work with if I go over to HS.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:38:18 PM »
My Pocketwizard Mini tt & Flexes got returned a couple months ago. I event had them ship me brand new ones, same prob. Very inconsistant. I couldn't rely on them for critical portrait work. Doing over id do Odins until i could switch to the Canon Wireless. Right now i am using my old Pocket Wizard Plus II's and they never let me down. Yes, i use a light meter for shooting with those but they are very reliable.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:35:52 AM »
Personally, I'd go for Pixel King. They generally offer the same support but not at ridiculous prices. After all, none of them are built to take much of a beating...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:35:52 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
I got my 580's to sync at 1/400s (with proper SYNC, not Highspeed) with the Flex system from Pocket Wizard, which was frikkin awesome!! The problems was that they were useless in everywhich way when it comes to taking them out of the bag and trying to get them to trigger, plus, the 1/400s HSS was only at 1/1 output. But it worked great and the Odin's doesn't have an option like this at all, and if I go up to 1/400s on them, it's like on camera and every other trigger, you get zero power.

I use to 580's in 60x90 softbox with each it's own CP-E4 pack, and if I go past 1/200s sync, I get no power. I usually use my flashes at near full power, so I don't have anything to work with if I go over to HS.

I dont quite get what you are saying here, the odins will let you fire any flash at up to 1/8000 sec at full power including 580s
APS-H Fanboy

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 06:05:14 AM »
The Odins sound like awesome value for most HSS requirements, but what interests me is the Optimized HSS promised by Pocket Wizard http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/fp_sync_hss/

Quote from Pocket Wizard website:

"But HSS is a battery hog as it needs a lot of power to pulse the light.  Through extensive experimentation, we found a way to reduce the total power used while giving you more power, and thus more light, when you need it. This means more light (which equals greater working distance), faster recycling times and more flashes per battery set when shooting in Canon's HSS/FP Flash mode.
Because the new MiniTT1 Transmitter and FlexTT5 Transceiver communicate through-the-shoe with the camera system, they can control the HSS burst duration.  By precisely matching flash duration to the shutter speed, large gains in efficiency are found, as much as 70% in many cases, for both remote and on-camera flashes."

This is the function that really in interests me. Is anyone successfully using the MiniTT or FlexTT5 specifically for this function?

PW

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
I wouldnt do PW unless you are using Nikon my friend.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52:53 AM »
I wouldn't do PW unless you are using Nikon my friend.

Really? Can you elaborate? What are the issues?

PW

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
I wouldn't do PW unless you are using Nikon my friend.

Really? Can you elaborate? What are the issues?

PW
I can't remember too many specifics but i would get different results each time when shooting in manual and letting the flashes have plenty of recycle time. I was getting a few consistant shots on my 1dm3 then it went to crap in a short time. I tested the re-shipped brand new items PW sent me as a way to allow PW another chance. They failed me. I used the socks then i used the expensive plastic shield i purchased with similar issues. I got on the phone with tech support and they have me do their "Top down procedure". Put the wizard on the camera, put the flash on the wizard with the sock, turn the flash on then the wizard then the camera. I ran new tests and got random results using each of the 3 cameras i own. I said i am sorry but i can't call tech support when i am doing a wedding i want to return these, i gave you guys one more chance and it didn't work out.
I am using PW plusII's manually with no issues other than one of the 3 i own decided to stop working again for the second time i have sent it in. However, these in general are very reliable.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »
Pw have a history of killing 580ex ii flashes just google it that's what caused me to look else where
But I can't fault the odins at all to be honest they are really really solid performers
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 12:01:04 AM »
Pw have a history of killing 580ex ii flashes just google it that's what caused me to look else where
But I can't fault the odins at all to be honest they are really really solid performers

I have been using PW for HSS for sometime now. Contrary to other posters I have no issues, either in missed flashes or damage to 580EXII.

That said I tend to keep the flash within about 50-60ft.

HSS and the PW HSS work well.

If you have a  5DIII or 1DX then these are not yet supported by PW - worth checking the others

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 12:50:45 PM »
2 of my flashes have died since i used the PW TT system. Its expensive to have repaired. I have 5 flashes now, 7 if you count the 270ex's but i don't. I won't be caught without at least one working flash! I didn't use the TT system a ton over the 2yrs i had them but When i got them out i'd have extreme joy at 1/4000 sync speed and sometimes good results then other times I couldn't get consistency. I figured i had $1600 in the system i should find a way to like them...Besides who wants to fart around with RF socks and buying custom RF plastic shields just so they work? I did and they still sucked. I regret being their beta tester. In speaking with them over the phone they admitted they had a lot of problems with them for Canon. I really didn't expect that admission, still they never recalled them and offered a new improved trigger which makes them complete A** holes. Sorry, i just can't stand corporations that create crappy products and then handle it only if people complain, or just give you a work around for the problem. Seriously $1600 in flash triggers and i'm on the line with Tech support to get advice on work arounds...Its just wrong.
At least Odins work, the main on camera part however has been reported to be kinda chintzy and cheaply made. Seriously with todays plastics tech they couldn't do better? Still people don't seem to issue any other quality or function issues other than one draw back in function i just can't remember what it was.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 12:50:45 PM »