July 30, 2014, 04:33:43 AM

Author Topic: 1D Mark IV and indoor basketball question  (Read 4729 times)

Hbap085

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: 1D Mark IV and indoor basketball question
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:28 AM »
That works well with weddings/landscapes etc - but not for fast moving sport

Hi, I am in the process currently of setting up my 7d with back focusing and all information I reference is quite the opposite. Applying AF to the AF-ON button and leaving the shutter button for only the shutter increases speed and is really aimed at sports photography.
I found the following article on Canons website which also references back focusing and being critcal for photographing F1 racing.
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/custom_functions_for_sports_pt1.do

Another article mentions that back focusing was first suggested to canon in the late 80's by sports photographers who wanted this feature.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

A few other sites I reviewed in the last week;
http://www.kevinmullinsphotography.co.uk/for-photographers/canon-1d-mk-iv-custom-settingssports.html
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2371
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos1d_markIV_custom_functions.do

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:28 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
That works well with weddings/landscapes etc - but not for fast moving sport

Hi, I am in the process currently of setting up my 7d with back focusing and all information I reference is quite the opposite. Applying AF to the AF-ON button and leaving the shutter button for only the shutter increases speed and is really aimed at sports photography.
I found the following article on Canons website which also references back focusing and being critcal for photographing F1 racing.
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/custom_functions_for_sports_pt1.do

Another article mentions that back focusing was first suggested to canon in the late 80's by sports photographers who wanted this feature.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

A few other sites I reviewed in the last week;
http://www.kevinmullinsphotography.co.uk/for-photographers/canon-1d-mk-iv-custom-settingssports.html
http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2371
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos1d_markIV_custom_functions.do

Not quite sure of the connection between multi point metering and back focussing - or have I misread something?

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 11:39:41 AM »
Just catching up on the great information guys.  Ok, I'm now familiar with the AE lock button used as focusing per the manual and I did it and can do it just fine.  However, I'm a little apprehensive about this, as is Brian, because I just feel as though I'd have a tougher time with speed using another button to focus as I would the shutter and metering.  My idea was to blanket meter all shots upfront with the anticipation that the gym lighting won't change throughout the game, meter to the right, and then focus and shoot away throughout the game.  However, that feature is really cool!

Brian do you recomment using faux M mode with an ISO range set?  Or should I just set the ISO period.  Thanks.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »
Just catching up on the great information guys.  Ok, I'm now familiar with the AE lock button used as focusing per the manual and I did it and can do it just fine.  However, I'm a little apprehensive about this, as is Brian, because I just feel as though I'd have a tougher time with speed using another button to focus as I would the shutter and metering.  My idea was to blanket meter all shots upfront with the anticipation that the gym lighting won't change throughout the game, meter to the right, and then focus and shoot away throughout the game.  However, that feature is really cool!

Brian do you recomment using faux M mode with an ISO range set?  Or should I just set the ISO period.  Thanks.

I personally set the AV and the minimum TV and leave the iso on auto. Basketball  - 1/500th? That way you will get the iso on the minimum possible for the correct exposure

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »

I personally set the AV and the minimum TV and leave the iso on auto. Basketball  - 1/500th? That way you will get the iso on the minimum possible for the correct exposure

Ah I got it now.  Shoot in Av mode, min shutter 1/500th, auto ISO, EC +1, for example, if conditions warrant that.  Since the metering on the 1D4 is done with the selected AF point.  Thanks!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »

Ah I got it now.  Shoot in Av mode, min shutter 1/500th, auto ISO, EC +1, for example, if conditions warrant that.  Since the metering on the 1D4 is done with the selected AF point.  Thanks!

;) ;) ;)

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »
Applying AF to the AF-ON button and leaving the shutter button for only the shutter increases speed and is really aimed at sports photography. I found the following article on Canons website which also references back focusing and being critcal for photographing F1 racing.

I photograph a lot of sports and motor racing and this is what I do (although I have to use the AE button as my camera lacks a dedicated AF-On button :( ).  I find I'm more likely to get the right exposure this way.  The only downside is that I'll sometimes pick up a camera, press the shutter button and wonder for a few seconds why its not focusing.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
Applying AF to the AF-ON button and leaving the shutter button for only the shutter increases speed and is really aimed at sports photography. I found the following article on Canons website which also references back focusing and being critcal for photographing F1 racing.

I photograph a lot of sports and motor racing and this is what I do (although I have to use the AE button as my camera lacks a dedicated AF-On button :( ).  I find I'm more likely to get the right exposure this way.  The only downside is that I'll sometimes pick up a camera, press the shutter button and wonder for a few seconds why its not focusing.

Everyone has their own preferences.  However this doesn't make sense with a 1D Mk IV b/c the camera here will meter through the active autofocus point, so you might as well focus, meter, and take the picture with one button vs. 2.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »

Everyone has their own preferences.  However this doesn't make sense with a 1D Mk IV b/c the camera here will meter through the active autofocus point, so you might as well focus, meter, and take the picture with one button vs. 2.

Use Servo mode and keep the button half pressed for constant metering and focus

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »

Use Servo mode and keep the button half pressed for constant metering and focus

Isn't that just fantastic? :)  Camera is far more powerful with min shutter speed/auto ISO and metering through active focus point than I imagined when I purchased it.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »

Isn't that just fantastic? :)  Camera is far more powerful with min shutter speed/auto ISO and metering through active focus point than I imagined when I purchased it.

It is a lot better than the 5DIII in many ways - particularly sports and wild life

The other great thing is moving the fous point around in the middle of the action - that took me some time to master but is well worth the effort

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 12:20:39 AM »
Set Safety Shift - Enable, ISO
Av = 6.3
ISO = Auto
Enable Shutter speed range,
Min 500
Max 8000

Worked fantastic.  Wish the 5D III had this feature.  Thanks for the great tip.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:04 AM »
Av = 6.3
ISO = Auto
Min 500
Max 8000

The 1D4 is a great camera that has many advanced features that are not obvious from the spec sheet. Until you start shooting with one the gap between a 1 series and the rest is not obvious that difference is very significant.

Other features worth exploring is the constant AF and setting the low speed continuous to 6fps (or whatever suits you). I find I get more keepers this way - but I am shooting slower, more predictable animals.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:21:16 AM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:04 AM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
Av = 6.3
ISO = Auto
Min 500
Max 8000

The 1D4 is a great camera that has many advanced features that are not obvious from the spec sheet. Until you start shooting with one the gap between a 1 series and the rest is not obvious that difference is very significant.

Other features worth exploring is the constant AF and setting the low speed continuous to 6fps (or whatever suits you). I find I get more keepers this way - but I am shooting slower, more predictable animals.

I have a ton of games I can practice this with, so yes, I plan on getting creative  :)  It's amazing how much detail and color saturation this camera has, even despite the bad press about the APS-H sensor it received (16mp too).  I don't see a difference.  I cropped quite a ways and with a bit of NR, looked just as smooth as the 5D Mk III.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
Av = 6.3
ISO = Auto
Min 500
Max 8000

I have a ton of games I can practice this with, so yes, I plan on getting creative  :)  It's amazing how much detail and color saturation this camera has, even despite the bad press about the APS-H sensor it received (16mp too).  I don't see a difference.  I cropped quite a ways and with a bit of NR, looked just as smooth as the 5D Mk III.

Strange that the APS-H shooter love it and the others just seem to dislike it

Still I have 2 1.6 crop, 2 ff and 1 APS-H bodies - but the 1D4 is the best general purpose of them all

Plus of course the 35mm film and a APS film cameras
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:05:42 PM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »