September 02, 2014, 09:28:26 PM

Author Topic: The 5D Mark III & SD Memory Cards  (Read 44881 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: The 5D Mark III & SD Memory Cards
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 06:58:17 PM »
Why do people think that Canon cripple a model rather than not give it all the bells and whistles?

Two words: auto focus.  Or is that just one word?  Call it product line differentiation, reduction of R&D/manufacturing costs to maximize profit, whatever...crippling, by any other name...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 06:58:17 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »
Bryan, one of the smarter guys on internet explains this better:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2595

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »
Sorry - this is *not* new information.  In Canon's defense this is all explicitly stated on page 117 of the owner's manual.  If you are concerned about burst mode then leave camera on Standard or Auto Switch Card.  The manual states:  "When Rec. separately is set, the maximum burst will decrease greatly. (See pg 121)".  Pg 121 further explains on the matrix the burst rates and also states: "The Maximum burst rate applies to High Speed Continuous Shooting", it then extrapolates that it is referring to UDM7.  It may seem obvious then since the SD cads (if engaged in the two other record modes modes) would have to be the lowest common denominator.  On page 32 the manual also states the camera does not comply with UHS standards although these cards can be used.

Now a good work around to this if in the field and you need the backup feature but also the fastest burst mode on a UDMA7 CF card is set the camera to record only on the CF card (Standard Mode). Be sure the CF is the card chosen to record (under Record/Play menu) as well.  Now you can copy your images to the SD card by pressing Menu.  Choose Menu section 3, sub menu 1 and select "Image Copy".  Here you can define your Source (the CF card) and the freespace on Card 2 (SD card)  there you can copy all your CF images to an SD card without losing burst mode speed and still have your backup.

revup67, excellent post! Thanks.

To the disgruntled, all you have to do is buy the 1D X instead. "Problem" solved--for just a few thousand dollars.
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

briansquibb

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
Why do people think that Canon cripple a model rather than not give it all the bells and whistles?

Two words: auto focus.  Or is that just one word?  Call it product line differentiation, reduction of R&D/manufacturing costs to maximize profit, whatever...crippling, by any other name...

I consider cripping when they take a working feature and take it away, In this case it is the perfectly adequate arrangement filtered down as is from the 1D4. So this is not a case of crippling

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 07:27:44 PM »
I consider cripping when they take a working feature and take it away

Ahhh...so you mean, for example, the fact that AFMA was a feature of the 50D, but not of the 60D.  Or is AFMA neither a bell nor a whistle?

briansquibb

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »

Ahhh...so you mean, for example, the fact that AFMA was a feature of the 50D, but not of the 60D.  Or is AFMA neither a bell nor a whistle?

Yep you are right in this case about the function being removed - does that mean it could be restored by firmware? if so then it is crippled

In this case we are talking about the SD card which is being touted as being crippled - are you saying it is?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »

Yep you are right in this case about the function being removed - does that mean it could be restored by firmware? if so then it is crippled

In this case we are talking about the SD card which is being touted as being crippled - are you saying it is?

Yes, AFMA is firmware only, would have been free for them to implement (in fact, they probably had to actively remove it from the 50D firmware as they modified it for the 60D).  Crippled, indeed.

Not necessarily the case for the SD slot, that souds more like a case of re-using the already developed part(s) from the 1-series, without bothering to update the Sd slot for the already-available UHS standard.  I think it would have been relatively low-cost for them to do so, but they chose not to.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
Unfortunately my own theory about why the SD is crippled is more annoying. Because SD can be cheaper and nearly as fast as CF, which would move the 5D3 closer to the 1dx than canon marketing wants.

No proof, but certainly reaonable based on other behavior.

Wait, wait...  You seem to be suggesting that Canon would intentionally cripple a camera model?!?   ::)

The 5DIII and the 1D4 share the same unit. Personally I only have the SD for overflow should the CF fill up. I soon realise that I have switched. On the 1DS3 at 5fps it is not such a problem as the SD speed doesn't slow it down so much

Why do people think that Canon cripple a model rather than not give it all the bells and whistles? I suspect in this case they have filtered down the unit from the 1D4. If it was good enough for the 1D4 users it should be good enough for 5DIII users. More a case of looking for minor improvements that could have been incorporated and turning them into a major issue

Just remember the 5DIII arrangement is better than the D800 ;)

You know...that actually makes sense they would take the card unit from the 1D4. Tried, tested, already have the tooling for it. Makes sense I suppose. Unfortunate that they didn't update it to UHS-I.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
HUH?????? What is this guy Cable saying?
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 08:48:36 PM »
Hi...
I just did a test with my 5D Mark III.   I find Mr. Cable's claim that putting an SD card in the card slot slows down the CF card.  Groundless.
I am using a 32GB Lexar Professional 600x card and a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card.  If I am reading correctly he states that if there is no card in the SD card slot the CF card will clear the buffer more quickly. That is not the case on my camera. I loaded up on High Speed 17 shots and each time the buffer clears the exact same time of about 5-7 sec., whether I have an SD card in the slot or not.   I am using the second hand from my watch and this is very unscientific....but there is NO CHANGE in the buffer clear of my CF Cards.
Yes. With my SD card ..the buffer clears more slowly than my CF card.  Quite a bit in fact. (take about 20 sec.) But my Extreme pro SD card clears MUCH more quickly (LIKE 2x AS FAST ) AS MY 15MB/s SD card. So there is an notable increase in SD card performance as you install faster cards.
I just loaded in the new firmware...so I do not know if that made a difference....but I am VERY happy with this camera. VERY happy.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding his point...but I think that I got it correct.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:56:57 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 03:28:31 AM »
I just did a test with my 5D Mark III.   I find Mr. Cable's claim that putting an SD card in the card slot slows down the CF card.  Groundless.

Infared - his claim is not groundless it states so in the manual as I posted earlier today.  You don't state which Record mode your are on.   "Standard" and 'Auto Switch Card" have no effect with SD card in place however "Rec. Separately" and "Rec. to Multiple" will have a slow down effect see page 116 in the manual and or more detail on my earlier post.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

briansquibb

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 03:34:54 AM »

Infared - his claim is not groundless it states so in the manual as I posted earlier today.  You don't state which Record mode your are on.   "Standard" and 'Auto Switch Card" have no effect with SD card in place however "Rec. Separately" and "Rec. to Multiple" will have a slow down effect see page 116 in the manual and or more detail on my earlier post.

This is the same as the 1D4

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 04:25:24 AM »
The Mark III takes SDXC cards which are rated at 100MB/sec - 300MB/sec.  So really SDXC cards should not be a major bottleneck. I completely understand that if you are writing to two cards that speed will suffer.  I'd like to see some real numbers with top-end CF and SDXC being written to at the same time.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 06:15:05 AM »
The Mark III takes SDXC cards which are rated at 100MB/sec - 300MB/sec.  So really SDXC cards should not be a major bottleneck. I completely understand that if you are writing to two cards that speed will suffer.  I'd like to see some real numbers with top-end CF and SDXC being written to at the same time.

SD card speed is not the bottleneck in this case - the camera doesn't support the higher speed UHS-I class.  It's like plugging a USB3 HDD into a USB2 port, you're limited to the slower speed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 06:15:05 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 06:33:02 AM »
Sorry - this is *not* new information.  In Canon's defense this is all explicitly stated on page 117 of the owner's manual.  If you are concerned about burst mode then leave camera on Standard or Auto Switch Card.  The manual states:  "When Rec. separately is set, the maximum burst will decrease greatly. (See pg 121)".  Pg 121 further explains on the matrix the burst rates and also states: "The Maximum burst rate applies to High Speed Continuous Shooting", it then extrapolates that it is referring to UDM7.  It may seem obvious then since the SD cads (if engaged in the two other record modes modes) would have to be the lowest common denominator.  On page 32 the manual also states the camera does not comply with UHS standards although these cards can be used.

Now a good work around to this if in the field and you need the backup feature but also the fastest burst mode on a UDMA7 CF card is set the camera to record only on the CF card (Standard Mode). Be sure the CF is the card chosen to record (under Record/Play menu) as well.  Now you can copy your images to the SD card by pressing Menu.  Choose Menu section 3, sub menu 1 and select "Image Copy".  Here you can define your Source (the CF card) and the freespace on Card 2 (SD card)  there you can copy all your CF images to an SD card without losing burst mode speed and still have your backup.

Well, if someone has to copy the CF content to SD card afterwards in order to not lose speed  >:( , there is always the bypass that works on all models:  Remove the CF card, put it in a portable device like hyperdrive, copy the contents, reinsert the CF card  ;)

briansquibb

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »