October 02, 2014, 02:24:53 AM

Author Topic: The 5D Mark III & SD Memory Cards  (Read 45858 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: The 5D Mark III & SD Memory Cards
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
Yes, AFMA is firmware only, would have been free for them to implement (in fact, they probably had to actively remove it from the 50D firmware as they modified it for the 60D).  Crippled, indeed.

Doh, I shouldn't think about this as a 60d owner :-p ... it would be interesting to know if Canon saved some $$$ for including a slower sd card slot or if it was the latest ingenuity from Canon marketing. Unfortunately, it's likely we'll never know.

My biggest beef with the 5D II was the lack of bracketing. Same on the 7D..  Canon did a major firmware update and did not improve something that the camera should have been released with. Three shot bracketing is an embarrassment on a $2500 or $1600 DSLR. Simply an embarrassment.  Easy fix.

Since Magic Lantern now works on the 5d2 (not the 7d), at least it's here now after four years - unlimited bracketing even with automatic selection of how many shots are needed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Ever since it was released, the 5D3 appears to have received more criticism than praise. Canon in this case did make many people feel betrayed by cutting corners on a number of things, the SD card being one of them. This is not the first time they did this (remembering the AF on 5D2) and they will continue doing this. So are many other companies. Unless someone does it differently, by including all the best features on a second of the line product, we will have to accept the reality. I just hope Canon would not quickly abandon the 5D3 within a couple of years or so.

You can't please everyone, there will always be critics.  I don't know if I'd call it betrayed, what were people expecting?  You only can put so many features on a 2nd tier camera, you have to draw the line somewhere.  That's why there's the 1 series and the 5 series.

Betrayed - by putting the twin cards of the top of the range 1D4 in the 5DIII :o :o :o

Some people's expections are so unrealistic

Wait, all the 1DX owners will be betrayed too by the 5DIII stealing the AF system.  :o

Just link metering to the active AF point in the 5D Mark III and now you have a betrayal!

Shhhhh, don't tell Brian.   ;)

I heard that  8) 8) 8)

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
Yes, AFMA is firmware only, would have been free for them to implement (in fact, they probably had to actively remove it from the 50D firmware as they modified it for the 60D).  Crippled, indeed.

Doh, I shouldn't think about this as a 60d owner :-p ... it would be interesting to know if Canon saved some $$$ for including a slower sd card slot or if it was the latest ingenuity from Canon marketing. Unfortunately, it's likely we'll never know.

My biggest beef with the 5D II was the lack of bracketing. Same on the 7D..  Canon did a major firmware update and did not improve something that the camera should have been released with. Three shot bracketing is an embarrassment on a $2500 or $1600 DSLR. Simply an embarrassment.  Easy fix.

Since Magic Lantern now works on the 5d2 (not the 7d), at least it's here now after four years - unlimited bracketing even with automatic selection of how many shots are needed.

OK...not that I need it any more...but what is magic lantern. I just sold my Mark II for cash this morning to a REALLY nice young man....was glad I knew where it was going.
I know nothing about what magic latern is.  My buddy badly wants more bracketin on his 7D...but there are no options for him, right?
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
+
I know nothing about what magic latern is.  My buddy badly wants more bracketin on his 7D...but there are no options for him, right?

Apart from Google being your friend for all Internet search related issues: ML is *the* killer firmware addon for digic4 Canon eos cameras (except for the dual-digic4 7d), including heaps of stellar to very convenient features. I am using Canon because of this, otherwise I'd probably have a Nikon d7000.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »
+

Apart from Google being your friend for all Internet search related issues: ML is *the* killer firmware addon for digic4 Canon eos cameras (except for the dual-digic4 7d), including heaps of stellar to very convenient features. I am using Canon because of this, otherwise I'd probably have a Nikon d7000.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Will also, eventually, be coming to the 5d3 and probably t4i. They've got a basic "Hello World!" prototype booted up on the 5d3, so it's a matter of time, priority, and frankly getting money to pay 1 or 2 people to develop full time with a 5d3 to test on.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Will also, eventually, be coming to the 5d3 and probably t4i.

The "eventually" doesn't only mean paying the dev (I think it's a single person - Alex), but it's quite a long way from "Hello, World" to a stable firmware that doesn't turn your $3500 camera into a brick. And since the 5d3/650d have a new processor, it is yet to be discovered if Canon changed something that makes some ml tricks impossible, though the dev seems to be hopeful it's the other way around and there might be potential for more features. Still, that's the reason why I'm currently writing "digic4 bodies" support ml.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2012, 11:21:29 PM »
What, you want the camera to give you an orgasm every time you release the shutter, too? Is that it?

I wouldn't mind that one bit, but I don't think my clients would appreciate it :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2012, 11:21:29 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
What, you want the camera to give you an orgasm every time you release the shutter, too? Is that it?

I wouldn't mind that one bit, but I don't think my clients would appreciate it :o

Hahaha
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »

Lol, you'd be using the umbrellas for more than just flash.  ;D
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

sjfischer

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2012, 02:39:20 AM »
I own a 5D III (bought it at an authorized dealer) and left similar feedback about the SD slot when rating the camera on Canons website. Overall I gave the 5D III a 2 star rating because I really felt it wasn’t much more of a camera than the 5D II. Canon would not post my review, i received an email saying my review was declined after review for it’s negative content. Negative maybe, but my reasons, such as the buffer being limited by the SD card slot, were not untrue.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2012, 06:29:14 AM »
Canon would not post my review, i received an email saying my review was declined after review for it’s negative content.

Very interesting. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2012, 07:57:29 AM »
Canon would not post my review, i received an email saying my review was declined after review for it’s negative content. Negative maybe, but my reasons, such as the buffer being limited by the SD card slot, were not untrue.
Very interesting indeed! You can react by adding a review to another site like Amazon, B&H mentioning also Canon's reaction.

FunkyCamera

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2012, 01:50:23 PM »
I own a 5D III (bought it at an authorized dealer) and left similar feedback about the SD slot when rating the camera on Canons website. Overall I gave the 5D III a 2 star rating because I really felt it wasn’t much more of a camera than the 5D II. Canon would not post my review, i received an email saying my review was declined after review for it’s negative content. Negative maybe, but my reasons, such as the buffer being limited by the SD card slot, were not untrue.
Nobody would give such a fantastic camera a 2 for such minor things. I wonder if you work for Nikon and they're getting desperate with the D800 and D4 not selling.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2012, 01:50:23 PM »