September 22, 2014, 12:31:22 PM

Author Topic: My photos look so dull  (Read 38812 times)

LOALTD

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: My photos look so dull
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Here's my effort. 100% Photoshop.

THIS.

This thread is frustrating.  Most posts are putting WAAAAY too much emphasis on things that would make a marginal difference:
Post processing
Lens choice

And almost no mentions of the most important thing of all, THE QUALITY OF THE LIGHT. You need to position your subject in a place with great light and stop thinking about post processing!  Some common places that usually have great light: right next to a window, under a tree, in a snow cave*, etc.  Or just anywhere with some nice even shade, these photos don’t have that.  Seek the good light, then make a composition, don’t get obsessed with composition and end up shooting in horrible light!

I do agree, though, that it’s usually handy (since we all shoot Canon) to overexpose a little, you can always back off of it a little bit and maintain image quality.  People usually look best with brighter exposures.

*the photo I’ve attached was shot with a 50mm f/1.8, no flashes, no lights, no reflectors, etc.  I just knew the light in here would be soft and diffused!  There was some minimal processing, I don’t remember exactly what but probably like 3-4 slider adjustments in Lightrooom that took a whopping 20-30 seconds.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »
Dear Mr. Cnardo.
Thousand Thanks for your Goods words, Yes, Sir. I will Post for you to see again, That my hand writing/ Notes, just from The  intermediate  Photography class that I took in my local Technical College, just for learn the new tricks of Photography= The Hobby that I love since 1965, when I in the University. Yes, My First Canon Camera = Canon FT - QL, Which I still use from time to time.
This Attached Chart, That all students in that class , to use and report back to the teacher, and The Teacher teach us to adjust the Setting as we love and see fit to our eyes, after see final prints that our homework for that class.
Yes, That 4-5 years ago, and I still use with my 4 Canon bodies, When I want just Point and Shoot, with out Thinking , When I travel Around the World, YES, SIR,  I will get 85-90% of my good Photos from this setting ( in JPG. Files), With Minimum Post Processing by my Photoshop 6.
Thank You again , SIR, Dear Mr. Cnardo
Surapon

PS. My Dear Teacher teach me that= The Best Photographers are the Person, who can think from their Brain and Their Heart, Setting  up every thing, Include the camera,  before Press the Shutter, and Will get the Best Photos from the Camera---Not By Heavy Post Processing and that to much waste of times to enjoy our lifes.----Exception, IF YOU ARE THE PRO, and must earn the money from your BEST PRODUCTS.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:42:47 PM by surapon »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »
Dear Mr. Cnardo
Here are more Photos that I use this Setting.
Thank you, Sir
Surapon

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »
More Photos from use this Chart for Dear Mr. Cnardo.
Thanks you, Sir.
Surapon

PhotoCat

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »
Picasa does a nice job on the jpg too.   :P

Added a bit of fill light and high light. Also tinted the pic to get a pleasing skin tone.

cnardo

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
Surapon...

Thanks so much for re-posting your tables. I shoot a lot of jegs and these tables can help me get the best photos possible. And thanks for sharing your pictures. They were excellent !
5D3, SL1, M1 and more lenses than I know what to do with! Been shooting w/Canon since 1985.

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »
Surapon...

Thanks so much for re-posting your tables. I shoot a lot of jegs and these tables can help me get the best photos possible. And thanks for sharing your pictures. They were excellent !

Dear Cnardo.
Thank you SIR, for your great Words---You make my days. I am the Fan of this great Website for many years, but Just start to post last week, as the Newbee. But I have learn from every one in this Post, Difference Brain, Difference Heart, Difference Ability = Difference IDEAS. But My Main Goal in my Life are try to improve my love Hobby/ Photography, Plus share the New trick that I have learn to all of my friends. If you have Facebook acc., Please be my Friend on FB.----THANKS.
PS. I use that chart and setting in my 4 Canon DSLR cameras since 4-5 years, and It's work for me , when I just want POINT AND SHOOT as fast as possible= with out worry, when I just want the RECORDED PHOTOS in all of my Trips.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »