Gear Talk > Technical Support

Tripod for moving subjects

(1/3) > >>

brianleighty:
So I have a ball head tripod. It's not super great but not bad either. It definitely works very well for still subjects where I can set it up, do the mirror lock up and timer start. But if I'm trying to shoot say a wedding where I have let's say a 70 200 f4 lens non stabilized on a crop body, then the tripod really doesn't work since the subject is a lot of times at least slightly moving so I'm having to follow with them as I take pictures. For this reason I end up using a monopod instead which while good for taking the weight off, doesn't stabilize the picture a ton. Does anybody have any recommendations for tripods you use for moving subjects? I've thought of just using a video tripod instead of a ball head but wasn't sure if that was the route to go or not. Thanks.

neuroanatomist:
They're usually used for longer lenses, but a gimball head is the right design to freely track a moving subject.

brianleighty:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on June 26, 2012, 01:55:25 PM ---They're usually used for longer lenses, but a gimball head is the right design to freely track a moving subject.

--- End quote ---
I'm assuming it would work as affectively as image stabilization does or better?

wickidwombat:
I use this head for most stuff

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/ball-heads/magicball/

its kind of a mixture much smoother than a normal ball head, I have a pano plate between the tripod and magic ball and a Qmount arca style adapter on top

If i'm shooting with the 600 then i change it out for a gimbal

brianleighty:
Roger had that mount in a recent blog post. I was wondering if that one might work well. So you basically give a little of resistance to help hold it but have it loose enough to move with you?

--- Quote from: wickidwombat on June 27, 2012, 02:08:35 AM ---I use this head for most stuff

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/ball-heads/magicball/

its kind of a mixture much smoother than a normal ball head, I have a pano plate between the tripod and magic ball and a Qmount arca style adapter on top

If i'm shooting with the 600 then i change it out for a gimbal

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version