August 30, 2014, 12:41:14 AM

Poll

What image sensor format with the EOS 7D Mark II have?

35mm "full frame"
12 (10.9%)
APS-C
85 (77.3%)
APS-H
13 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: July 24, 2012, 06:56:48 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II  (Read 10697 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:40 AM »
people often view the APS-H sensor as a compromise designed to overcome limitations to full frame based on older slower processing tech, that may have been a large part of its origin

however rather than being a compromise it actually creates a few unique advantages especially when coupled with particular canon lenses

1) The image quality is alot closer to full frame than to crop, its cleaner, sharper basically better all round
the 18MP APS-C sensors have a "fuzziness" about them that the larger sensors dont. they are not bad necessarily however for my personal choice I dont feel they are in the same league as the bigger sensors
And dare I say it they are not as good as the 1.5 Crop sensors from nikon either :P
2) You still get the lens sweet spot effect, soft corners are gone, lens vignetting gone yep crop has this too and to an even greater degree but the 1.3 crop has a wonderfull balance of IQ and lens benefits
3) a 1.3 teleconverter with no loss of aperture light or image quality
4) the 1.3 crop coupled with the 16-35 f2.8L II make the best walkaround lens on a 1.6 crop the 16-35 is a bit tight for my taste however it gives effectively 21mm to 46mm corner to corner sharp wide open, internally zooming weather sealed with filter not too long not too heavy if the body wasnt to massive on the 1D series it would be the most killer street combo. If you want to see what I mean I suggest hiring a 1D4 and this lens for a day and go shooting. its better than the 24-70 mk1 on full frame however with the MTF on the mk 2 this advantage may be largely a thing of the past. its all down to taste but i really like 20 to 21mm on the wide end and with it hitting up to 46mm its still very usable for portraits

the only 2 advantages APS-C have over APS-H is a bit more reach however APS-H equipped cameras have f8 Autofocus and the APS-C cameras are cheaper / smaller (although i see smaller a disadvantage i find rebels too tiny the 5D size is ideal IMO)

while theres some decent EF-S glass its not better than the corresponding L glass and since it sells for high prices on the used market i dont really see the drama with EF-S compatability when superior L glass on an APS-H camera will out perform the best EF-S on any 1.6 crop just sell and go L :P

there you go thats all probably worth a good few smites :P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:09:24 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:40 AM »

jueming23

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:21 AM »
If 7D II is not FF, how to update´╝č

61 point AF, greatly improved high ISO performance, 10 FPS, Digic 5+  & UFO detector for starters.
Video users will add to this list.

PW

then how much is it? the same as 7D?i hope it be cheaper than 7D.there are so many cheap ff DSLR rumors,i don't think the price of a aps-c DSLR should be higher than 1500.i like 7D,it's awesome,but i think there is no necessary to update it.let's welcome FF generation.

papa-razzi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 12:57:55 AM »
With new firmware coming out for the 7D in August that adds a number of features and performance enhancements, it is unlikely that a 7DII is coming any time soon. 

Canon wouldn't release a significant firmware update for a camera it was replacing in the very near future.

7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

lonebear

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 09:59:11 AM »
Personally, I am a fanboy of APS-H too. One rumor indicated 7D will have no successor, which might imply some big changes in 7D series. No format changes in the same series? 1Ds & 1D were precedent. Of course, it's just my personal reading of the rumors. By September, probably everything will become clear, and I won't be surprised if 7D Yeti comes into existence.

cszy67

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 10:16:12 AM »
As I understand it, the introduction of the APS-H was largely a business decision used to maximize profit and had nothing to do with addressing the needs of the consumer. It was a solution looking for a problem.

Let's be honest, no one else offers anything in that particular size. Canon made a business decision, attempted to be "first to market", the market responded with a "meh," and now there is the odd-ball APS-H sensor that really has no place.

I imagine the owners of APS-H rigs feel quite differently but the truth is the truth.
7D ~ 16-35mm f/2.8L II ~ 24-70mm f/2.8L ~ 70-200mm f/2.8L

MYB

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 10:55:08 AM »
Hi to CR Forum with my first comment,
I think Canon needs a compact APS-H ( 5D body ) whatever it calls 7DII or something else. Bigger sensor gives better IQ and still have a bit reach for outdoor and if Canon keeps the f/8 AF advantage for using teleconverter, it satisfies a lot people.
Yes we can't use EF-S lenses on APS-H ( and comes out an ultra wide angle problem ) but it's Canons problem not mine. I can buy a Sigma DC or Tamron Di II. These lenses are causes only a bit vignette at the corners. But it's not bad at all. And if you don't want it you can crop the photo ( to 1.5, 1.6 ) when you will use it.
For example, if Canon makes a 22 MP APS-H and i have a Sigma 10-20mm DC. When i crop it to 1.5 still i have a 15mm 16MP photo. I think 16MP is enough for most of people. Maybe Canon makes a crop mode.
Of course i'm not a professional and these are my opinions.

(I am not good at English. If i said something wrong, apologies).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:00:52 AM by MYB »

briansquibb

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »
As I understand it, the introduction of the APS-H was largely a business decision used to maximize profit and had nothing to do with addressing the needs of the consumer. It was a solution looking for a problem.

Let's be honest, no one else offers anything in that particular size. Canon made a business decision, attempted to be "first to market", the market responded with a "meh," and now there is the odd-ball APS-H sensor that really has no place.

I imagine the owners of APS-H rigs feel quite differently but the truth is the truth.

I am curious why you think that is the truth?

1. The APS-H was a very efficient size from a production point of view
2. No other manufactuer produces a 1.6 crop APS-C
3. Leica produce a APS-H - the M8
4. Like all businesses, they are all always looking to maximise profit, as are Nikon, Sony, Panasonic et all
5. APS-H was never intended as a consumer product, always for the pro shooters, and right from day 1
6. Kodak first introduced the APS-H, not Canon

The truth is the truth, Jim, but not quite as you see it  8) 8) 8)

I see no reason at all why Canon should not produce something different. Elsewhere it would be called inovation, on this forum it seems to meet with disapproval.

As far as I am concerned the APS-H has a very good pedigree - far better than the APS-C. Why not replace APS-C with something better and let APS-C be in the P&S and mirorless? - that way Canon only have 2 sensor sizes, both capable of producing first class IQ

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 07:26:17 PM »

Damn I dont think all the sports shooters and associated press photographers got that memo, you better go let them know they should be shooting rebels instead  ::)
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 07:26:17 PM »