September 02, 2014, 08:42:02 AM

Author Topic: PHOTTIX Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 Trigger Set for Canon  (Read 7584 times)

mbworldz

PHOTTIX Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 Trigger Set for Canon
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:40:04 PM »
Yesterday I received the PHOTTIX Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 Trigger Set for Canon but for some reason I can't get the TTL to work.   I put the transmitter on my camera's hot shoe and the receiver on the flash.   Is there a special setting I need to enable on the 5dM3 camera?   There are different modes on the 600ex-rt, not sure which one I should use.   When I use ETTL, and I fired a test shot, exposure was too high and bright.    I thought when I change the information on my camera through ETTL, it will also change the flash?    Can someone give me a hint on how this things work properly.   Never try using a remote flash before.  The manufacturer manual from Phottix don't have any information on it. 

http://www.amazon.com/Strato-Wireless-Trigger-Set-Canon/dp/B0056MPVZ6

canon rumors FORUM

PHOTTIX Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 Trigger Set for Canon
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:40:04 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: PHOTTIX Strato II Wireless 5 in 1 Trigger Set for Canon
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »
I recently bought this as well, and it doesn't do TTL RF. What it does do is let you put the transmitter in your hotshoe, and then do TTL to a flash mounted on top of the transmitter. If you want RF TTL you'll have to go with something like the Phottix Odin's.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

mbworldz

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  So that has no different between using those pocketwizard plus iii right, same thing you need to do manual flash?     

But like my current setting,  do you know what mode  function do I use on the 600ex-rt  It has something like ETTL, Manual, Group, Multiple, ExtA, ExtM.

I recently bought this as well, and it doesn't do TTL RF. What it does do is let you put the transmitter in your hotshoe, and then do TTL to a flash mounted on top of the transmitter. If you want RF TTL you'll have to go with something like the Phottix Odin's.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:59:17 PM by mbworldz »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  So that has no different between using those pocketwizard plus iii right, same thing you need to do manual flash?     

But like my current setting,  what function do I use on the 600ex-rt ? do you know,  It has something like EXT A, M , ETTA (A),.....etc.     

I believe the PocketWizards do support RF TTL, so you can use the usual Flash menu(s) via your camera to change the power level & exposure compensation, etc.

For the flash with the Strato II you'll need to use M (manual) mode and set the power levels you want yourself. You should probably look into an intro to studio lighting class/workshop which would help you to understand a lot about working with off-camera flashes. If you buy a 2nd 600EX-RT (or RF transmitter whenever it comes out) you can then use your TTL modes & remotely control the power which can be very handy.

Instead I have to setup the light, take a shot, check it, see if I need to adjust the flash power compared to ambient or just adjust my aperture. Take another shot, rinse and repeat until done. Instead with RF TTL, you can just go into the camera menus and either change the flash power, or use the camera's TTL metering and simply adjust it's exposure compensation up or down somewhat. Much handier, but much more expensive.

Instead, I can buy 9-10(!!) Yongnuo YN-560 speedlites which have pretty good power that don't do TTL at all and just set them manually for the price of just 1 Canon EX600-RT. I'd still need to buy the RF trigger or sync cords, but a Strato II Wireless Receiver is slightly less the price of 1 YN-560, so I could probably buy 5 RF triggers + 5 YN-560's which will definitely have a lot more power (in total) than 1 EX600-RT. Or I just lower the power on all of them to 1/5 max, and then I have much faster recycle time.

So, I guess I just sorta went on a rant, but a lot of it depends on your needs and wants. If you want cheap RF trigger to simply tell the speedlite to fire, the Phottix Strato II is probably one of the best cheap ones which can be paired with decent powered, inexpensive speedlites that don't do TTL. If you want full TTL RF support, you either buy PocketWizards/Phottix Odin's (or others) along with the more expensive TTL speedlites (Yongnuo YN-565 is about $165 I think, 580EX II or EX600-RT is much more expensive) which will cost a lot more, but generally be more versatile, possibly easier to work with, and probably faster to setup & use in most cases.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

mbworldz

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:31:54 PM »
If I don't use the Strato II wireless.   And I get one of those ST-E3-RT, it will do TTL directly to my 600ex-rt right ?
So basically these ST-E3 RT and 600ex-rt can both communicate.   And whatever I adjust from the ST-E3, it will also change the remote 600ex-rt ?   

I believe the PocketWizards do support RF TTL, so you can use the usual Flash menu(s) via your camera to change the power level & exposure compensation, etc.

For the flash with the Strato II you'll need to use M (manual) mode and set the power levels you want yourself. You should probably look into an intro to studio lighting class/workshop which would help you to understand a lot about working with off-camera flashes. If you buy a 2nd 600EX-RT (or RF transmitter whenever it comes out) you can then use your TTL modes & remotely control the power which can be very handy.

Instead I have to setup the light, take a shot, check it, see if I need to adjust the flash power compared to ambient or just adjust my aperture. Take another shot, rinse and repeat until done. Instead with RF TTL, you can just go into the camera menus and either change the flash power, or use the camera's TTL metering and simply adjust it's exposure compensation up or down somewhat. Much handier, but much more expensive.

Instead, I can buy 9-10(!!) Yongnuo YN-560 speedlites which have pretty good power that don't do TTL at all and just set them manually for the price of just 1 Canon EX600-RT. I'd still need to buy the RF trigger or sync cords, but a Strato II Wireless Receiver is slightly less the price of 1 YN-560, so I could probably buy 5 RF triggers + 5 YN-560's which will definitely have a lot more power (in total) than 1 EX600-RT. Or I just lower the power on all of them to 1/5 max, and then I have much faster recycle time.

So, I guess I just sorta went on a rant, but a lot of it depends on your needs and wants. If you want cheap RF trigger to simply tell the speedlite to fire, the Phottix Strato II is probably one of the best cheap ones which can be paired with decent powered, inexpensive speedlites that don't do TTL. If you want full TTL RF support, you either buy PocketWizards/Phottix Odin's (or others) along with the more expensive TTL speedlites (Yongnuo YN-565 is about $165 I think, 580EX II or EX600-RT is much more expensive) which will cost a lot more, but generally be more versatile, possibly easier to work with, and probably faster to setup & use in most cases.
[/quote]

briansquibb

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:12:05 PM »
If I don't use the Strato II wireless.   And I get one of those ST-E3-RT, it will do TTL directly to my 600ex-rt right ?
So basically these ST-E3 RT and 600ex-rt can both communicate.   And whatever I adjust from the ST-E3, it will also change the remote 600ex-rt ?   

[/quote]

It is my understanding that PW dont work fully with the 5DIII. Hopefully someone else will chime in who has tried it.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 06:12:12 PM »

Not having used remote TTL at all, I believe that is correct. If you get a ST-E3-RT it'll let you use TTL 1 or more 600EX-RT's as if they were physically in the hotshoe. Plus put them into flash groups and the like I believe.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 06:12:12 PM »

mbworldz

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
got it thanks!

Not having used remote TTL at all, I believe that is correct. If you get a ST-E3-RT it'll let you use TTL 1 or more 600EX-RT's as if they were physically in the hotshoe. Plus put them into flash groups and the like I believe.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
got it thanks!

Good luck with it! It'll get mighty expensive really quick which is why I decided to mostly go the Phottix Strattor route with non-TTL cheaper speedlites :)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
you can use 1 reciever to fire 2 flashes in manual with a simple $2 3.5mm stereo splitter cable too then plug the phottix pc sync to 3.5mm connectors into it and into the pc sync ports of the flashes

works on my 580s anyway great for backlights which i set to manual anyway and means 1 less $200 odin reciever needed

anyone tested the stratto II recievers to see if they fire off a signal from an odin? they are supposed to
APS-H Fanboy

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 07:30:21 PM »
you can use 1 reciever to fire 2 flashes in manual with a simple $2 3.5mm stereo splitter cable too then plug the phottix pc sync to 3.5mm connectors into it and into the pc sync ports of the flashes

works on my 580s anyway great for backlights which i set to manual anyway and means 1 less $200 odin reciever needed

anyone tested the stratto II recievers to see if they fire off a signal from an odin? they are supposed to

Yea, but then you don't have RF TTL for that 2nd flash. But if you're setting that to manual anyway, then $200 saved is definitely nice.

Haven't tested it (I don't have the Odin's). Why don't you test it and let us know? It's only ~$55 for the receiver ;)

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »

Yea, but then you don't have RF TTL for that 2nd flash. But if you're setting that to manual anyway, then $200 saved is definitely nice.

Haven't tested it (I don't have the Odin's). Why don't you test it and let us know? It's only ~$55 for the receiver ;)

yeah i was going to just wanted to float it to see if anyone had both
actually I havent tested to see if it will fire 3 flashes one in the shoe and 2 hanging off the pc cords. I thought it had to be one or the other
APS-H Fanboy

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »

yeah i was going to just wanted to float it to see if anyone had both
actually I havent tested to see if it will fire 3 flashes one in the shoe and 2 hanging off the pc cords. I thought it had to be one or the other

I'm pretty sure 1 in the shoe & N hanging off of the pc-sync cord will work fine. I believe that's what I read in about the Strato receiver, that it'll trigger both the pc-sync and the shoe simultaneously.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »
hmmm cool, if I get the stratto reciever and it doesnt work with the odin do you wanna buy it off me? :P
I can see the strattos being handy for hanging off studio strobes, but then i wonder if i will still get 1/8000 out of the studio strobes. hmmm lots of experementing to try
APS-H Fanboy

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
hmmm cool, if I get the stratto reciever and it doesnt work with the odin do you wanna buy it off me? :P
I can see the strattos being handy for hanging off studio strobes, but then i wonder if i will still get 1/8000 out of the studio strobes. hmmm lots of experementing to try

Yes, please experiment! Seeing as I don't have another mount or a 3rd speedlite yet (I already got the single extra receiver) I'm afraid I might have to pass on buying it off you if it doesn't work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »