October 26, 2014, 04:05:17 AM

Author Topic: Suggestions for a first monopod for a 5D3...?  (Read 7379 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Suggestions for a first monopod for a 5D3...?
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »
Hi all,

I've got a tripod coming my way...but I'm thinking I'd like to get a good starter monopod too...both for stills, and maybe even for some video, I have a small concert venue I may be shooting this weekend...small and crowded, no flash...low light and was thinking a nice mono pod might be handy.

Looking for something that will be nice, but not break the bank.

My tripod coming in is a deal I got on a manfrotto:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V7H8R0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I think this comes with a quick release plate...does the monopod also work with quick release? If so..maybe getting one of the manfrotto ones might make for a good, interchangeable system for me?

But looking for any recommendations....regardless of brand, looking for reasonable noob cost.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

Suggestions for a first monopod for a 5D3...?
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a first monopod for a 5D3...?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »
APS-H Fanboy

gjoyce3

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
Get a good carbon fiber pod.  I used to use a Manfrotto aluminum unit and after upgrading to a Gitzo (GM2541), I realized how much difference a few ounces make on a long hike.  You may want to check out the Feisol brand - I have heard good things about them and they are less than half the price of the Gitzo. 

Most monopods do not come with a quick release plate, but it is fairly easy to add one.  Manfrotto makes a nice tilting monopod head with quick release plate that is actually very nice for the price.

Overall, I would say that having a quick release plate is a necessity, but the tilt feature while nice and adding a lot of convenience, may not be necessary depending on what you are shooting.

Good luck!

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »
Hello all,

Resurrecting this a bit....I just got my 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, and WOW...it is heavy.

I'm thinking a long day at a fest (and we have tons of them down here in New Orleans) I would think a good monopod would be good to have when lugging this lens and my 5D3 around all day.

Any other recommendations? I have a manfroto tripod and the quick release plate for that...would anyone recommend a good manfroto monopod model, that might work with the same plate system?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
Hello all,

Resurrecting this a bit....I just got my 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, and WOW...it is heavy.

I'm thinking a long day at a fest (and we have tons of them down here in New Orleans) I would think a good monopod would be good to have when lugging this lens and my 5D3 around all day.

Any other recommendations? I have a manfroto tripod and the quick release plate for that...would anyone recommend a good manfroto monopod model, that might work with the same plate system?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Yeah make sure you mount that 70-200 on the tripod and not the body, you dont want all that weight pulling on the mount.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
This is without a doubt the best video monopod I've ever used: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737980-REG/Manfrotto_561BHDV_1_Fluid_Video_Monopod_W_Head.html
Thank you for the quick reply.

I was trying to figure out the pro/con of a monopod that had 'feet' on them....I mean, I know you'd never leave your camera standing on the feet un-attended....

So, was wondering, are they actually a help for anything? Ever a hindreance?

Is it perm. attached, or something that comes on / off easily?

Thanks in advance!!

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »
Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Yeah make sure you mount that 70-200 on the tripod and not the body, you dont want all that weight pulling on the mount.

Yes, get a QR plate designed for the lens and keep it in place.

I'd get a monopod that had a simple ball head and the same QR plate as your tripod.
First, consider if you want to switch to the much more universal Arca Swiss style QR plates.  Your Manfroto head can be adapted to take them, mine is.  Then, in the future only buy heads that accept Arca Swiss compatible plates.  That opens you up to a much wider range of options rather than being tied to Manfroto.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »

I'd get a monopod that had a simple ball head and the same QR plate as your tripod.
First, consider if you want to switch to the much more universal Arca Swiss style QR plates.  Your Manfroto head can be adapted to take them, mine is.  Then, in the future only buy heads that accept Arca Swiss compatible plates.  That opens you up to a much wider range of options rather than being tied to Manfroto.

+1 - I started with the Manfrotto RC2 system, and it was a weak link.  There's a bit of play still when the plate is locked, which makes fine positioning on a tripod/ballhead a challenge sometimes. 

I had a Manfrotto 694CX monopod with a 234 tilt head.  The head is fine for lenses up to your 70-200/2.8 (I used it frequently with a gripped 7D 100-400).  The 234 head comes in two flavors, one with an RC2 clamp, the other with just a 1/4"+3/8" reversible stud.  I got the latter and put a Wimberley C-12 clamp on it for quick release with Arca-Swiss plates (a Wimberley P-20 on my 70-200/2.8, I now have a mix of Wimberley and RRS plates on all collared lenses). 

Also, consider a Blackrapid strap for when you're carrying the lens around all day - much better than a neck strap.  Attach the BR strap to the lens plate (if Manfrotto RC2, get the BR FastenR-T1 to replace the Manfrotto D-ring, if using an Arca plate, get a small clamp like the Kirk QRC-1" and connect the BR lug to that).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387806-REG/Manfrotto_685B_685B_NeoTec_Monopod_Deluxe.html

I have one of these because it will adjust up and down easily.  Keep in mind however that it's a bit heavy and it doesn't compress down as small as others.  I like it for it's intended purpose though.  In your case, I think I might prefer to just go lighter and use my Black Rapid strap.  Unless it's going to be super dark, (then you should just use a super fast prime), consider taking a lighter 70-200 f4 telephoto or maybe the 24-105.  Or there's the other carbon fiber monopod option!  Let us know what you end up doing.  Sounds like some fun shooting whatever you decide!

Rusty
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 07:11:02 PM »

+1 - I started with the Manfrotto RC2 system, and it was a weak link.  There's a bit of play still when the plate is locked, which makes fine positioning on a tripod/ballhead a challenge sometimes. 

I had a Manfrotto 694CX monopod with a 234 tilt head.  The head is fine for lenses up to your 70-200/2.8 (I used it frequently with a gripped 7D 100-400).  The 234 head comes in two flavors, one with an RC2 clamp, the other with just a 1/4"+3/8" reversible stud.  I got the latter and put a Wimberley C-12 clamp on it for quick release with Arca-Swiss plates (a Wimberley P-20 on my 70-200/2.8, I now have a mix of Wimberley and RRS plates on all collared lenses). 

Also, consider a Blackrapid strap for when you're carrying the lens around all day - much better than a neck strap.  Attach the BR strap to the lens plate (if Manfrotto RC2, get the BR FastenR-T1 to replace the Manfrotto D-ring, if using an Arca plate, get a small clamp like the Kirk QRC-1" and connect the BR lug to that).

Hm...well, I'm in a bit of confusion...will have to research more, etc.
Wish there was a really good camera store here locally, so I could see all these different options in person.

I was about to go for that manfrotto earlier in this thread..but with info in this AND my Quick Release plate thread....I need to sit and think where I wanna to.

The ArcaSwiss type seems the way to go, but I can't really do that with that manfrotto monopod which has a different plate system than even the manfrotto tripod I got.....grrrrrrr

So...trying to figure what to do with so many variables....but this is the time to figure it out, before I get in much deeper.

C

titokane

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »
This is without a doubt the best video monopod I've ever used: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737980-REG/Manfrotto_561BHDV_1_Fluid_Video_Monopod_W_Head.html

+1 I have this Monopod and it superb + it has the 501PL quick release plate, as I also have the Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 701HDV head, I can switch across between them. I'm probably going to get a 055MH05-Q5 Manfrotto ball head after xmas and that also uses the 501 quick-release plate (you can buy extra plates for around  21 euros or <$30, if you wanted to use them for lights, speedlites etc. or if you wish to keep one permanently o your new 70-200 and another on your DSLR)

I can also vouch for the 561BHDV-1. It's really a tremendous thing (though a bit pricey) and it works with the 501 QR system I use on my tripod -- a HUGE benefit. Quick release plates are much more useful when you can change between stabilizers quickly.

Which is why instead of the 561BHDV-1, I'd recommend the 560B-1. It uses the same QR system as your tripod. Only downside is that it doesn't have the video head, but my first monopod didn't either and it was still a fantastic tool for photo and video alike. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/434422-REG/Manfrotto_560B_1_560B_1_Fluid_Video_Monopod.html

I wasn't sure about the feet at first, but the first time you use a monopod with a fluid cartridge and feet your mind is completely blown. Also, I've used the RC2 based monopod with an XH-A1 on top boomed over a crowd and never had any fear about stability. Lock it down tight and you should be ok.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »
Not to knock anything so far and maybe I missed it but what light are you shooting in?  Night or day?  Because I rarely use a monopod anymore, esp if I'm walking around all the time, even at night.  (For stills that is.)  Are you shooting video per chance or just stills?  People on stage perhaps?  I can hand hold down to 1/15 - 1/25 if I'm lucky or can find a pole or something to lean against.  And even then the rest of the world has to cooperate and be still for me.  I'm just trying to imagine the situation where you are walking around an outdoor fair with friends and you're carrying a big camera, big lens and all of it attached to a monopod along with possibly a backpack.  Sounds a bit tiring if you ask me.  And how are you going to carry your beer and turkey leg???
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 01:53:04 AM »
Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I was in the same situation- I have the Manfrotto RC2 system and after I bought my 70-200 I also got the BlackRapid Tripod connector (or is it fastener?) exclusively for the lens- so I was also looking for a cheap compatible monopod.
I picked up a used 3216 ( I think it's called the 679B nowadays). I think it costs ~80 with the ballhead (or a tilt-head maybe). It feels sturdy enough, and I don't plan to tax that ballhead much since it's a monopod after all...
I agree with Neuro that the RC2 ballhead has play. The 49X series might be better as they have a friction control knob (first-hand experience, anyone?). Manfrotto is not a permanent solution but I guess it will have to do for now.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 03:49:40 AM »