September 18, 2014, 04:10:57 PM

Author Topic: Suggestions for a first monopod for a 5D3...?  (Read 7169 times)

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a first monopod for a 5D3...?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »
lots of choices out there, but depending on your expected utilization consider jumping straight to the gitzo. the quick release system is just, well, what can I say.  Also don't forget to consider that actual monopod length needs  may be longer than you might think at first glance, and if you are tall that could narrow your choices.  it certainly did for me :D

1.   if you expect to point your camera upward (into trees for example), the monopod needs to be tall enough so that you can look up into the camera viewfinder with lens pointed where you want it. 

2.  you can acheive greater stablity by putting the monopod behind one foot. that means the monopod has to be about as tall as you are. 

heads -- personally I'm not a fan of ballheads on a monopod (too much freedom of movement when you can rotate the monopod itself)  but a great many others like it, so consider researching that further.    I just prefer the restriction of the two-axis head from RRS.  In fact I brought in a modified manfroto 234 head (name escapes me) and sent it right back and ordered the RRS -- which by the way I found to be expensive but wahoo does that piece ever perform on the gitzo. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 03:59:36 AM »
For cheap and durable I found the Velbon UP-400 hard to beat. It's not very beautifully designed, nor does it weigh very little, but it's sturdy and you can attach a suitable head to it is you so wish, I don't, I just screw it on to the bottom of the camera and pod-away. :)
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
After weeks of considering about 7 different models I ultimately chose the Gitzo GM3551 for several reasons:  it's lightweight (1.4 lbs) carbon fiber, goes above 6 feet - great for when you are amidst crowds or need to get above bushes etc. at 75" inches, lifetime warranty, supports up to 39.6 lbs., when collapsed it's roughly 21 inches (smaller than all others in its range)..I kept thinking lightweight, compact, height were 3 key ingredients when shopping for a monopod.  I also considered the Manfrotto 562B-1 and Feisol CM-1473 both of which have legs or feet.  I stopped and thought you can pivot a monopod in any direction so thought the feet added to the weight and others complained about the rubber stoppers coming off on the Manfrotto as well as dirt getting into the ball at its base.  The feet would also add to the circumference of the entire monopod so when folded upright and positioned in my backpack's external pocket it may not fit and / or may not be suitable for your carrying bag (its another limitation to consider)..thus the Gitzo was the least restricting in this area as well.  I've got the AcraTech Ballhead GP-s ballhead (flips as a Gimbal) which is small and compact and can easily support the 5DM3 along with the 400mm 5.6 L lens...so this was the final path I had chosen.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=569171&is=REG
Acratech GP-s Ballhead http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=acratech+gp-s&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta&Top+Nav-Search=
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

RickSpringfield

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 08:44:51 AM »
I haven't used it a ton because I just got it.  But I would definately check out the GITZO GM3551.  The max height is 75.6" (192cm) which gives you alot of reach.  As for build quality, ... I can definately say its top notch.  Feels like you could thwart attackers ... but yet its light.

I also should mention that you have to bring your own ball head to the table as this doesn't come with a head.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569171-REG/Gitzo_GM3551_GM3551_6X_Carbon_Fiber.html

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 11:00:22 AM »
I just prefer the restriction of the two-axis head from RRS.  In fact I brought in a modified manfroto 234 head (name escapes me) and sent it right back and ordered the RRS -- which by the way I found to be expensive but wahoo does that piece ever perform on the gitzo.

I've got a RRS MH-02 head on their MC-34 monopod - a truly excellent setup!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »
I haven't used it a ton because I just got it.  But I would definately check out the GITZO GM3551.  The max height is 75.6" (192cm) which gives you alot of reach.  As for build quality, ... I can definately say its top notch.  Feels like you could thwart attackers ... but yet its light.

I also should mention that you have to bring your own ball head to the table as this doesn't come with a head.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569171-REG/Gitzo_GM3551_GM3551_6X_Carbon_Fiber.html

+1.  3551 is what I own (see previous post)  and I find it wonderful.  Also my suggestion is to be careful or at least consider trying (if not researching thoroughly) the options for a monopod head.  the RRS MH-02 head is my personal favorite. Consider, for example, that a body plate and a lens plate are oriented differently, which may become important.  A ballhead has too many degrees of freedom

good info here

http://reallyrightstuff.com/websiteinfo.aspx?fc=75

As I mentioned in my previous post, the manfroto 239 (and variants -- I tried the kirk mpa-1 flavor and sent it back) is just not in the same league as the RRS.  Preferences abound, to be sure, but this is what I'm using, both in the field and in church, lol.  very solid feel, large knobs, etc. this thing just works:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-02-Pro

on edit:  Neuro is right;  I just hit the send button too soon :D

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:34:39 AM by dlleno »

curtisnull

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
Just skip to the best and get a Gitzo. I've owned several Bogen/Manfrotto monopods and tripods over the years. The Manfrotto's are good but tend to fall apart after a few years. The Gitzo keeps on going.
1Dx••5D3••300/2.8L IS II••135/2L••100/2.8L IS Macro••24/1.4L II••70-200/2.8L IS II••24-70/2.8L II••17-40/4 L••600EX-RT••lots more Canon stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
Just skip to the best and get a Gitzo. I've owned several Bogen/Manfrotto monopods and tripods over the years. The Manfrotto's are good but tend to fall apart after a few years. The Gitzo keeps on going.

I love the height of the 3551, so +1 on this.  the RRS will be top drawer as well if its length is sufficient.  the only reason I didn't go "all RRS" (monopod and head) is because of the 67.25"  height. 

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »

I love the height of the 3551, so +1 on this.  the RRS will be top drawer as well if its length is sufficient.  the only reason I didn't go "all RRS" (monopod and head) is because of the 67.25"  height.

I'm still in a quandry about this....so, trying to figure out what quick release system I'm going to go with, and base my monopod, and figure what to do about my existing tripod (manfrotto)...and heads and systems to hook on my rhino slider when it arrives...

So, this thread I'm still researching through....likely gonna be a couple months after I pay off xmas stuff (for me and others), and I'll revisit this one.

If I somehow get lucky enough to get selected by the folks for the amateur section of the New Orleans Jazz Fest photographer volunteers they allow in...I'll definitely be wanting a monopod to take in for that.

C

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »
This is without a doubt the best video monopod I've ever used: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737980-REG/Manfrotto_561BHDV_1_Fluid_Video_Monopod_W_Head.html

+1 I have this Monopod and it superb + it has the 501PL quick release plate, as I also have the Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 701HDV head, I can switch across between them. I'm probably going to get a 055MH05-Q5 Manfrotto ball head after xmas and that also uses the 501 quick-release plate (you can buy extra plates for around  21 euros or <$30, if you wanted to use them for lights, speedlites etc. or if you wish to keep one permanently o your new 70-200 and another on your DSLR)

Hi all,

Ok, I'm revisiting this because I think I've found a great deal....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?Top+Nav-Search=&Q=&A=endecaSearch&sts=ma&InitialSearch=yes&N=0&O=&Ntt=SPE13Q6GPT price looks right.

My question is...is this QR an Arca Swiss compatible QR plate system? I want to get to this type I believe from the posts I"ve had on this thread and another one (http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11360.0 ) on QR systems...

THere are some B&H deals going on with the current lessons going on there, and I think they end at midnight tomorrow, so I'm trying to decide what to do. This monopod above, I believe is the 561 BHDV.

There also appears to be a fluid head too...which I might want to get to replace my current manfrotto, that has what I think is called the RC QR...which I want to get away from.  Please look at this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?Top+Nav-Search=&Q=&A=endecaSearch&sts=ma&InitialSearch=yes&N=0&O=&Ntt=SPE13HLF8C

Does this use the same QR system as the monopod above?

Lastly, I have the manfrotto 055XDB...with the fluid head that came with it (128RC), that used the RC QR...I don't see how just by looking at it, to replace the head, but can this be done with the fluid head listed above?

Again, I'm wanting to get the same QR system I can use across multiple things...I have a rhino slider coming in soon, and I'll want to get a head and plate system for that...which I can use the same QR system for going rapidly between slider, monopod to tripod....

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
This is without a doubt the best video monopod I've ever used: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737980-REG/Manfrotto_561BHDV_1_Fluid_Video_Monopod_W_Head.html

+1 I have this Monopod and it superb + it has the 501PL quick release plate, as I also have the Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 701HDV head, I can switch across between them. I'm probably going to get a 055MH05-Q5 Manfrotto ball head after xmas and that also uses the 501 quick-release plate (you can buy extra plates for around  21 euros or <$30, if you wanted to use them for lights, speedlites etc. or if you wish to keep one permanently o your new 70-200 and another on your DSLR)

Hi all,

Ok, I'm revisiting this because I think I've found a great deal....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?Top+Nav-Search=&Q=&A=endecaSearch&sts=ma&InitialSearch=yes&N=0&O=&Ntt=SPE13Q6GPT price looks right.

My question is...is this QR an Arca Swiss compatible QR plate system? I want to get to this type I believe from the posts I"ve had on this thread and another one (http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11360.0 ) on QR systems...

THere are some B&H deals going on with the current lessons going on there, and I think they end at midnight tomorrow, so I'm trying to decide what to do. This monopod above, I believe is the 561 BHDV.

There also appears to be a fluid head too...which I might want to get to replace my current manfrotto, that has what I think is called the RC QR...which I want to get away from.  Please look at this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?Top+Nav-Search=&Q=&A=endecaSearch&sts=ma&InitialSearch=yes&N=0&O=&Ntt=SPE13HLF8C

Does this use the same QR system as the monopod above?

Lastly, I have the manfrotto 055XDB...with the fluid head that came with it (128RC), that used the RC QR...I don't see how just by looking at it, to replace the head, but can this be done with the fluid head listed above?

Again, I'm wanting to get the same QR system I can use across multiple things...I have a rhino slider coming in soon, and I'll want to get a head and plate system for that...which I can use the same QR system for going rapidly between slider, monopod to tripod....

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
 :)

This sale ends at midnight tonight...and I'd appreciate some help with the monopod/plates issue, I want to plan for new purchases that will allow me to use on QR system across all of them...and I've heard this is a GREAT monopod, but needing to buy one that will work with a common QR system going forward, and if this 501 plate system is arca swiss compatible, it sounds like it would be the way to go..?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 01:03:06 PM »
...if this 501 plate system is arca swiss compatible, it sounds like it would be the way to go..?

Sorry, but it's not.  The 501PL and 504PL plates used by the two B&H items you linked are interchangeable (the 504 is a longer version of the 501), but they're compatible only with certain Manfrotto heads.  If you want to convert Manfrotto 501-compatible heads to work with Arca-Swiss plates, you need the Kirk SQRC-501PL ($150).

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »
...if this 501 plate system is arca swiss compatible, it sounds like it would be the way to go..?

Sorry, but it's not.  The 501PL and 504PL plates used by the two B&H items you linked are interchangeable (the 504 is a longer version of the 501), but they're compatible only with certain Manfrotto heads.  If you want to convert Manfrotto 501-compatible heads to work with Arca-Swiss plates, you need the Kirk SQRC-501PL ($150).

*sigh*...ok.

Hey, THANK YOU for all the help and info.

I think I'm gonna go with this...and later, bite the dust, and do this conversion.

Again..thank you for the help!!

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 02:19:31 AM »
By the way, I know some people may have issues with the Manfrotto QR plates (the fact that the system wobbles even when locked in) but I think the bigger problem is the friction lock on the ballhead- so even if you switch out the QR plate for an Arca-Swiss style mount you don't resolve the main issue.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »
By the way, I know some people may have issues with the Manfrotto QR plates (the fact that the system wobbles even when locked in) but I think the bigger problem is the friction lock on the ballhead- so even if you switch out the QR plate for an Arca-Swiss style mount you don't resolve the main issue.

I had minor issues with both, actually.  I started with the 488RC2 ballhead, and that head 'settles' under load (you need to 'aim high' to compensate, by a varying amount depending on the lens), plus there's the issue with the RC2 plate being loose even when locked.  The Manfrotto 468MG hydrostatic head solves the issue of the settling ballhead - that thing locks tight, and with minimal effort.  Replacing the RC2 clamp with a Wimberley C-12 solved the plate issue, resulting in a very good ballhead. 

Still...a 468MG plus Wimberley C-12 combo is over $300 new, and that's pretty close to the Really Right Stull BH-40 at $375.  I bought the 468MG used for a great price, but IMO, if buying new the BH-40 would be the better way to go.

FWIW, I am actually selling my Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 and Arca-Swiss converted 468MG - the buyer is due to show up in less than an hour.  Nothing 'wrong' with the setup from a support standpoint, I'm selling it because I want something shorter as a travel tripod.  The 190CXPRO4 fits in my Storm im2500 carryon hard case, but barely and only with the head removed - I wanted something that would fit without removing the head, and not compromise stability.  Not coincidentally, a Really Right Stuff TQC-14 with BH-30 LR is on a UPS truck for delivery to me this morning.  :D  The RRS setup is much shorter (tripod + ballhead are shorter than the 190CXPRO4 legs alone), lighter, the same height with the center column down, and is substantially stronger.  How much stronger?  The legs are rated at 25 lbs, but to give you an idea of how conservative RRS' support ratings are, check out the video where RRS owner Joe Johnson puts a medium format camera on the 25-lb rated tripod...then swings himself from the legs).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »