September 01, 2014, 10:18:46 PM

Author Topic: 1DX new all-time low-light king?  (Read 18553 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: 1DX new all-time low-light king?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:58 PM »
1 stop better ISO than 5d3
2 stops better ISO than 5d2
4 stops better ISO than 7D.

Canon, after all the previous disappointments, the 1DX is the best of the best again.

Canon has some newer tech that will trickle down in the next Gen from 1Dx.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:58 PM »

ddashti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »
If that is indeed the case of the high ISO performance level, the 1D X will definitely be somewhat of the sole pride of Canon. There is much unannounced stuff, though. Let's see how that will fair against the 1D X.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
Then again for 2x the price, i would HOPE the 1dx would have a better sensor/high ISO than the 5d3... but but but, any quesses on DR LetTheRightLensIn? 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »
Then again for 2x the price, i would HOPE the 1dx would have a better sensor/high ISO than the 5d3... but but but, any quesses on DR LetTheRightLensIn?

I'd be surprised if it can match D800 DR. I doubt that is possible.

Other than that it's hard to say but the fact that it appears, assuming that guys test with the flower shots didn't have any hidden gotchas, that the high iso is so amazing that they must be using something totally new for the 1DX sensor so I think it's now certainly quite possible that it could be say a solid 1.5 stops better DR than the 5D2 and somewhere around D4 level DR, i.e. no match for any Exmor, but a nice step up from anything Canon has done before and match for the best non-Exmor DR. But who knows. Anyway I'd be slightly surprised if it it is not within the range of 0.5 to 2 stops better DR than the 5D2, at this point.

People have posted raw frames, but all anyone posts is supr high iso raws so I have nothing but guesses to go on.

briansquibb

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »

Other than that it's hard to say but the fact that it appears, assuming that guys test with the flower shots didn't have any hidden gotchas, that the high iso is so amazing that they must be using something totally new for the 1DX sensor so I think it's now certainly quite possible that it could be say a solid 1.5 stops better DR than the 5D2 and somewhere around D4 level DR, i.e. no match for any Exmor, but a nice step up from anything Canon has done before and match for the best non-Exmor DR. But who knows. Anyway I'd be slightly surprised if it it is not within the range of 0.5 to 2 stops better DR than the 5D2, at this point.

People have posted raw frames, but all anyone posts is supr high iso raws so I have nothing but guesses to go on.

You are right - the D800 will always beat the 5DIII DR figure fromDxO because of the way they calculate it, where mps plays a significant part

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »

You are right - the D800 will always beat the 5DIII DR figure fromDxO because of the way they calculate it, where mps plays a significant part

It's only fair to compare them on a normalized basis. Funny how nobody in Canon-land cried about normalization when the Canon cameras had way more MP....

Anyway, 1DX dynamic range results are in. As a 5D3 owner I am relieved  ;D. As a Canon DSLR system user I am worried  :'(

After the stunning high iso performance levels I'd started to think they really had some new magic through and through, but only in terms of light collection and not read noise as it turns out.

They appear to have improved banding so it's not as nasty as the 5D2/7D/50D/1D4 or even 5D3 in the low ISO shadows, that is good, it's more on order of the 1Ds3/1D3/40D. So it was looking good.

But then I measured the read noise and it's absolutely nothing special at all. It's better per photosite than for the 5D3 and even, just barely, after normalization but it appears to be set to peg in only around 11.8 on DxO's normalized to 8MP chart. So it's a little disappointing they didn't get it to D4-levels of 13.1 (D4 does not use Exmor patents) or even many older Nikons at 12.2 level. Exmor levels were, of course, not expected.

Anyway it rules at high ISO but, for high DR scenes, it's very old news in terms of ISO100-200 shooting, oh well.

I am a little worried now about whether Canon will ever be able to get close to Nikon for lower ISO shooting. I really, really hope they can pull it off, at least to D4-like levels by the next round of 5D4s and all. I really don't want to switch to Nikon, but if Nikon is going to be like 3-4 stops better by then at low ISO or something....

But since this thread is about low light king, yeah the 1DX just utterly kicks ass there, I'm astounded how well it appears to do.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »
Anyway, 1DX dynamic range results are in.

Who's results are in?  Anyone's but yours?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 01:03:27 AM »
Anyway, 1DX dynamic range results are in.

Who's results are in?  Anyone's but yours?

Nobody else's but mine at this point but no I am not going into ten pages to defend and explain, you can just wait and see and believe it for now or not.

If you do recall though, despite all the nonsense and heaps of abuse tossed my way about how my 5D3 results (and others as well in that case) were so ridiculous, lo and behold but when DxO put out their results and someone else on here also carried it out, my results were like DxO's (and there's) to the tenth! just sayin'. But that is all I will say this time. I'm staying out of the argument. If you want to on for 30 pages about or not, whatever.

Anyway this is basically a PJ cam and it brings the AF and speed in spades along with, what seems likely to be, world-class high iso performance.

briansquibb

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 03:32:41 AM »
It's only fair to compare them on a normalized basis. Funny how nobody in Canon-land cried about normalization when the Canon cameras had way more MP....

Like comparing the 5DII against the D3X??  :o :o

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 04:31:15 AM »

Like comparing the 5DII against the D3X??  :o :o

5D2 vs D700 etc.   ::)

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »
After the stunning high iso performance levels I'd started to think they really had some new magic through and through, but only in terms of light collection and not read noise as it turns out.

Just curious, what's about the read-noise? Is it on the same level as 5D Mark III has?
Did you have a completely black RAW picture to perform your test?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 06:55:11 AM »
The 1Dx is ever so slightly less than two stops better than the 5D3, as soon as mine arrives I'll be proving it.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

briansquibb

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »
The 1Dx is ever so slightly less than two stops better than the 5D3, as soon as mine arrives I'll be proving it.

As this is stated as the replacement for the 1DS3 would you test the low iso against the 1DS3 for me? Thanks in anticipation

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Sure thing Brian. TBH, I'm thinking of pulling someone in from Model Mayhem and doing comparison shots between the 5d2, 5d3, 1ds3 and h3dII-39.

If it's one thing that annoys me it's the lack of shots with people in. It's what these cameras are geared up to shoot in the mainstream. I intend to do some nice big ass portrait shots like on my site www.booheads.co.uk
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
Sure thing Brian. TBH, I'm thinking of pulling someone in from Model Mayhem and doing comparison shots between the 5d2, 5d3, 1ds3 and h3dII-39.

If it's one thing that annoys me it's the lack of shots with people in. It's what these cameras are geared up to shoot in the mainstream. I intend to do some nice big ass portrait shots like on my site www.booheads.co.uk

Many thanks

Looks like we have similar styles for portraits :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »