September 01, 2014, 10:30:01 AM

Author Topic: 7D Firmware officially announced  (Read 22639 times)

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
Re: 7D Firmware officially announced
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 08:48:12 AM »
I just don't understand this "update"... I can already shoot 25/26/27 (it tend to vary) RAW images in high speed continuous mode...
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 08:48:12 AM »

mchubi

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
Hi at all,

well, what I am really missing is the possibility of a quick change between a single-shot and fast multi-shot. The need to use the quick-menue is quite awkward. If you could assign that feature to the "jpg-raw-switch-button" for example, it would be a real improvement.

So, why assigning a switch between single- and multi-shot? If I turn on fast multi-shot I often get two frames instead of the wanted single one. Perhaps I am too slow in releasing my finger or press it down too hard... but I bet I am not the only one. And If you bump into a situation where you need fast multi-shot it just would be -pressing that button
-selecting speed
-pushing "set"
and shoot. Instead of
-pressing "quickmenue"
-operating around to the right area via stick (what often is the most annoying part)
-spin the wheel
-pushing "set"
and shoot.

Personally, for me even the jpg-raw-switch functionality for the next picture could be abandoned. I never used it and don't feel any need to do so for saving some bytes. Converting a raw-file is not an expenditure...

:)

mitchell3417

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Bennnett Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 09:31:02 AM »
Hi at all,

well, what I am really missing is the possibility of a quick change between a single-shot and fast multi-shot. The need to use the quick-menue is quite awkward. If you could assign that feature to the "jpg-raw-switch-button" for example, it would be a real improvement.

So, why assigning a switch between single- and multi-shot? If I turn on fast multi-shot I often get two frames instead of the wanted single one. Perhaps I am too slow in releasing my finger or press it down too hard... but I bet I am not the only one. And If you bump into a situation where you need fast multi-shot it just would be -pressing that button
-selecting speed
-pushing "set"
and shoot. Instead of
-pressing "quickmenue"
-operating around to the right area via stick (what often is the most annoying part)
-spin the wheel
-pushing "set"
and shoot.

Personally, for me even the jpg-raw-switch functionality for the next picture could be abandoned. I never used it and don't feel any need to do so for saving some bytes. Converting a raw-file is not an expenditure...

:)
There's a button for that on the top of the camera. I really don't know what you mean here. All you have to do is hit one button and scroll to the correct option. And you can do it all with your right hand. Why would canon add functionality that's already there.
I enjoy taking pictures!!!
flickr  MB Photo

pixelk

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
I just don't understand this "update"... I can already shoot 25/26/27 (it tend to vary) RAW images in high speed continuous mode...

Try it with a slow CF. A fast CF enables you to write the first pictures stored in the internal buffer to the CF before the internal buffer is full.
They improved the internal buffer, meaning that you will even get more burst pictures with the same CF.

herbert

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:54 AM »
well, what I am really missing is the possibility of a quick change between a single-shot and fast multi-shot.

There is the AF.Drive button on the top of the camera:

- Press the AF.Drive button
- Spin the thumb wheel to select the mode
- Carry on shooting (the mode will be set when you press the shutter button to continue)

No need to go into the quick menu.

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »
And no video crop modes - on the 7D v2, on the 5DIII or on the T4i.

Canon,  you're supposed to be going forwards, not backwards.  I want flexible video crop modes in all resolutions, preferably with smooth transitions rather than steps accessed through the menus.

cszy67

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »
Additional news on the North American site now:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS7D_firmware
7D ~ 16-35mm f/2.8L II ~ 24-70mm f/2.8L ~ 70-200mm f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »

Birdshooter

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »

Same here, I have a 50D and am after a new 7D mkII or very similar. No way am I buying a 3 year old 7D

Over to you Canon.

You don't have to buy a 3 year old one, I am sure that you can find a new one in the stores.

Or do it like me. Pick up a year old 7D with only 2.500 clicks on it for half the price of a new one.

Trovador

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photography Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »
Additional news on the North American site now:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS7D_firmware

Nice! I for one am still very happy with my 7D and welcome this upgrade, thanks Canon!
Canon 6D+7D; 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS, 50 1.4, 100L 2.8 IS, Rokinon 8mm fisheye
www.ruddyflorentino.com

mrjimmy

• Power Shot G16
  • 5DMK3 7D 50D 70-200L 17-40L 85 1.8 50 1.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
Ok cool, I will take what I can get. its a free update. But really why wait so long for it. just post the update NOW

steves

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »
What about adding some kind of focus bracketing? Even with center-point spot focusing, I often find that it is a bit off. Being able to shoot a bracket of images at slightly different focus points would make it easier to nail the perfect point.

-Steve

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »
I Love my 7D. Now I'll love it even more. ;D

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
What about adding some kind of focus bracketing? Even with center-point spot focusing, I often find that it is a bit off. Being able to shoot a bracket of images at slightly different focus points would make it easier to nail the perfect point.

-Steve

it would be cool, but for fast moving targets you would risk to miss every shoot
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »
Interesting.

Good news: A very nice firmware upgrade. This should put to rest the rumors that Canon will abandon the 7D or merge with a 70D. The language and tone of the announcement are clearly meant to communicate the message that the 7D remains their flagship APS-C model. As someone has already pointed out, this is in sharp contrast to the minor firmware upgrade of the 60D. ("no microfocus adjustment for you.")

Bad news: Probably no 7DII for Photokina.

Will we see a repeat of the pattern we saw last year with the 5D? Deep discounts before Christmas to boost sales, followed by an announcement of the 7DII in the first quarter 2013.

Pure speculation on my part: I wonder if after seeing the recent sensor performance from Nikon/Sony they were taken aback a bit and decided to delay a new APS-C sensor until they could make some added improvements. "Let's upgrade the firmware and cut prices to buy ourselves six months of added R&D."

Wondering now what they do with the 70D. Does it get a new sensor? Do they give it the 7D's features but use the T4i sensor? Do they hold off on it as well? Do they care if a 70D cuts into sales of the three-year-old 7D for a few months? Perhaps they figure that the build quality of the 7D alone will be sufficient differentiation for a few months, especially if they lower the 7D price.

While I'm a little disappointed that Canon won't be taking my money for awhile longer (at least not for a 7DII, but then there are always lenses), I'm pleased that they are giving me a 7D 2.0 for free. While I'd rather have a II instead of the 2.0, I'm not going to complain and it does give me time to brace for the inevitable price hike.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:51:15 AM by unfocused »
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »
an update of the 7D can never be bad... :)
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »