November 24, 2014, 01:50:42 AM

Author Topic: 7D Firmware officially announced  (Read 24116 times)

DanielW

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 7D Firmware officially announced
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:53 PM »
@ unfocused
So, if I want AF microadjustment I'd better sell my 60D? I loved it until I bought my 50 f/1.4.
Damn, can there be 3rd party firmwares?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:53 PM »

Rob

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
I wonder if Canon has included the continuos video recording ability that the 5d3 & 1dx has, that lets you record video for just under 30mins splitting the video into 4gb files??. Im assuming they Havant, but thought I would mention it just in case.
Better to live in denial, that way you wont be disappointed!

Canon 5D3 | 5D2 | 5Dc | 24-70 f2.8L | 24-105L | 17-40L | 85f1.8 | 70-200 f2.8L IS | Sigma 12-24 | 580EXx2

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »
Hi all,

I have a canon 500D and have had it for 2/3 yrs.  I can't afford to change to a full frame, is it too late in the picture to update to a 7D? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
Hi all,

I have a canon 500D and have had it for 2/3 yrs.  I can't afford to change to a full frame, is it too late in the picture to update to a 7D? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Its never too expensive for FF. Just buy a 5Dc if you really want FF.

As for the 7D, You may want to hold off for a bit. Check out the t4i though.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »
This is exciting news. It seems like I am in the minority here as I have no complaints and already love shooting with my 7D! More features for free? Ok, I'll take it :)

Also, why do people feel the need to upgrade camera bodies so frequently? I plan on shooting with my 7D & 5DII till they die. Digital cameras are finally good, the upgrades are pretty incremental now.

I'll spend my cash on glass!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »

Sounds like you got the one I sent back!

While this sounds very swell, what does it do for a body that wont focus proper?

7d pain on this side. Sorry for the rantish post. But Cannon is f'ing with me right now...3 times back and no dice
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

ruuneos

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »
Waiting is over ! ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

odfotim

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »
I m surprised that somebody forgot such a thing as a AEB bracketing ... not only 3 shots, but 5,7,9 !!! What about HDR shooters?? So wellbuild camera without this important function?
Maybe time to sell 7D and buy 60D and use  magical "not officlal" firmware...
Marco

mchubi

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 01:06:47 PM »
@herbert
"There is the AF.Drive button on the top of the camera:"
I did not mean changing focus-mode. I meant switching between single and continuous shoot (max. 8 frames/sec).

@mitchell3417
"There's a button for that on the top of the camera. I really don't know what you mean here."
That M-Fn one? Nope, does not work. And the other four ones have no influence on changing single-shooting to high-speed or low-speed continuous.
-> [  ] -> [  ]]] -> [  ]]]H

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
And no video crop modes - on the 7D v2, on the 5DIII or on the T4i.

Canon,  you're supposed to be going forwards, not backwards.  I want flexible video crop modes in all resolutions, preferably with smooth transitions rather than steps accessed through the menus.

+1000 on video crop mode. It works really well on the T3i, and I expected that feature to become standard on all models. It's inexplicable why they withheld this!

Same with AF in video. The T4i can use the new STM for video focus, but the 5DIII cannot. Go figure  :o

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »
I am not excited. It's a long list but most items don't really do much for me - or most other 7D users.

* Buffer size ... fine. Hardly ever take more than 5-10 shots in fast series anyway. I know, for sports shooters it is different. But I bet, 95%+ of all 7D users are not going to use 23 (25) RAW buffer more often than I do.

* Auto-ISO ... upper ISO limit. Good. But still miles away from fully functioning Auto-ISO (as seen in the Nikon D800, D4). This impementation is still a lot inferior to Nikon's D7000

* GPS-compatibility ... nice. But that fat, expensive, hot-shoe-hogging GPS-E2 unit is just ridiculuos. Actually, it won't even transmit data via the hotshoe, oh no - it needs an additional, external USB cable.  Why not finally a small GPS-USB dongle, something like the GP-E1 but with a USB plug, instead of some proprietary Canon-connector working with the 1D X / C only?   

* faster scrolling in zoomed playback ... fine. No big deal. Why not from the very start?

* in camera raw conversion ... gets the 7D to the level that most competitors reached about 7 years ago

* in-camera rating ... give me a break.

* everything else .. basically firmware junk, either useless or should have benn in that cam from the very start.

and where are the following firmware items:
* Exposure bracketing with 5/7/x shots .. user selectable?
* metering linked to active AF-field in Spot metering?
these features would be way more useful on a 7D than "time zones" or other bloated firmware gadgets.

And to top it all off: what is taking you so long Canon? August ...  WOW, I am impressed.
NOT.

I would definitely NOT pay for this FW update. And even as a freebie it is very little, very late. I got my 7D almost 3 years ago!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »
* Auto-ISO ... upper ISO limit. Good. But still miles away from fully functioning Auto-ISO (as seen in the Nikon D800, D4). This impementation is still a lot inferior to Nikon's D7000

Right.  So, say you've been wandering in the desert for a few days, no water, dying of thirst.  Someone comes along and hands you a Dixie cup of water, do you pour it out because it's not the Big Gulp your mirage-addled mind was imagining?   :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Irishpanther

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »

That M-Fn one? Nope, does not work. And the other four ones have no influence on changing single-shooting to high-speed or low-speed continuous.
-> [  ] -> [  ]]] -> [  ]]]H

The AF-Drive button absolutely does have influence on the shooting mode.  The top scroll controls the AF mode and the back scroll wheel will change your drive mode.  Takes maybe a second and a half (being conservative, pretty sure I can flip this in under a second) and you don't even have to move the camera from your eye.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »

akiskev

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
How is this upgrade to buffer size possible?? Does this mean that all this time there was a software limitation which was put on purpose? If so, why? Or was it some kind of persistent bug?
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »
Right.  So, say you've been wandering in the desert for a few days, no water, dying of thirst.  Someone comes along and hands you a Dixie cup of water, do you pour it out because it's not the Big Gulp your mirage-addled mind was imagining?   :o

ah yes ... Canon the good samaritan saving ppor folks from starving.
Sorry, I have to wake you from your religious visions.
I found a much better analogy for how I feel being a paying Canon customer instead of a Nikon client: 
Cucumber Grape Monkey Experiment

I pretty much feel very CUCUMBERED by Canon, you know?! And I may just throw their FW update straight back at them.   >:(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »