I am not excited. It's a long list but most items don't really do much for me - or most other 7D users.
* Buffer size ... fine. Hardly ever take more than 5-10 shots in fast series anyway. I know, for sports shooters it is different. But I bet, 95%+ of all 7D users are not going to use 23 (25) RAW buffer more often than I do.
* Auto-ISO ... upper ISO limit. Good. But still miles away from fully functioning Auto-ISO (as seen in the Nikon D800, D4). This impementation is still a lot inferior to Nikon's D7000
* GPS-compatibility ... nice. But that fat, expensive, hot-shoe-hogging GPS-E2 unit is just ridiculuos. Actually, it won't even transmit data via the hotshoe, oh no - it needs an additional, external USB cable. Why not finally a small GPS-USB dongle, something like the GP-E1 but with a USB plug, instead of some proprietary Canon-connector working with the 1D X / C only?
* faster scrolling in zoomed playback ... fine. No big deal. Why not from the very start?
* in camera raw conversion ... gets the 7D to the level that most competitors reached about 7 years ago
* in-camera rating ... give me a break.
* everything else .. basically firmware junk, either useless or should have benn in that cam from the very start.
and where are the following firmware items:
* Exposure bracketing with 5/7/x shots .. user selectable?
* metering linked to active AF-field in Spot metering?
these features would be way more useful on a 7D than "time zones" or other bloated firmware gadgets.
And to top it all off: what is taking you so long Canon? August ... WOW, I am impressed.
I would definitely NOT pay for this FW update. And even as a freebie it is very little, very late. I got my 7D almost 3 years ago!