September 02, 2014, 06:25:33 AM

Author Topic: 7D Firmware officially announced  (Read 22658 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 7D Firmware officially announced
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
I thiink its fantastic, a updated body for free.  Canon seldom adds features to a older body, so they must be seeing sales sag, while they do not yet have a replacement ready.
I likely would not buy a MK II, so the update is very welcome.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »

BM

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »
Hi at all,

well, what I am really missing is the possibility of a quick change between a single-shot and fast multi-shot. The need to use the quick-menue is quite awkward. If you could assign that feature to the "jpg-raw-switch-button" for example, it would be a real improvement.

You can program "One shot <-> Ai servo" function to "Depth-of-Field Preview Button". Big problem is that this "Depth-of-Field Preview Button" is on very hard situation. And second big problem is: why I can't program this funtion to any another buttons? Why there is different funtions available for all programmable buttons? Why all the funtions do not have available for all the buttons? And for this same scene, Why I can't program buttons: "RAW-JPG", "Q" and "PictureStyle"? These functions are very useless for me.

I'm very happy that Canon release new firmware for old camera. Litle bit I waiting more features for shooting. I can't understand these post-process staf on camera.

CanonUser99

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
Well considering Canon don't usually enhance their products, only fix bugs, I am quite glad to hear about this.

Most welcome for me is the Auto ISO limit.

I would really like the movie crop mode and a twist out screen but I doubt they can help with the 2nd one.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »

Interesting fantasy, Big Brain. For me, I don't pour it out the dixie cup of water, I throw it in his face for teasing me. If you don't have enough water to save my life, go to hell! I could pee a dixie cup full of water and have that much to drink.

As several have suggested, this "upgrade" has little substance, and that suggests a more covert purpose. Unfortunately, like all companies and most individuals in this time of oligarchic banditry, Canon is squeezing its resources. It probably can't manage the resources to retool for a 7D2 at this point, especially after just doing it for the 5D3 and the 1DX.

One interesting observation is that the 5D2 body has been removed from the Canon refurb shop. It's still available as a kit with some lenses you don't want to buy, but the body alone is gone. That might suggest the rumored sub-5D3 full-frame is in the offing. On the other hand, it could simply suggest the 5D2 has pretty much tanked since the 5D3 became available.

Since Canon has suggested these "upgrades" are in response to request from users, I'd love to know how many asked for that wind-noise squelching feature. Those foamy microphone covers are such a drag!

* Auto-ISO ... upper ISO limit. Good. But still miles away from fully functioning Auto-ISO (as seen in the Nikon D800, D4). This impementation is still a lot inferior to Nikon's D7000

Right.  So, say you've been wandering in the desert for a few days, no water, dying of thirst.  Someone comes along and hands you a Dixie cup of water, do you pour it out because it's not the Big Gulp your mirage-addled mind was imagining?   :o
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

CanonUser99

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »
As several have suggested, this "upgrade" has little substance, and that suggests a more covert purpose.

Of course Canon are doing it for their sake rather than ours, would you expect anything else? This is no more than enhancing the 7D's feature matrix to make it more appealing than the 60D or to a lesser extent the 650D.

Canon are not going to add all the features you, me and everybody else wants to every camera, they want to keep selling cameras not have us get the perfect camera and only upgrade again in 10 years time.

Since I am getting it for free and at least one of the enhancements is of use to me I am not complaining (and I usually do).

However I will wait until people have loaded this new version just to make sure they don't remove some other feature...

mchubi

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
@Irishpanther:
The AF-Drive button absolutely does have influence on the shooting mode.  The top scroll controls the AF mode and the back scroll wheel will change your drive mode.
Okkkkkay. I have to admit: shame on me...  ;) You're right.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
So, if I want AF microadjustment I'd better sell my 60D? I loved it until I bought my 50 f/1.4.

No, you buy a lens copy that needs no afma - that might involve some returns and is a major hassle (Thanks, Canon) but is a possibility to make open aperture lenses work on the 60d.

Damn, can there be 3rd party firmwares?

Um, like Magic Lantern!?!? Works on the 60d/5d2/... execpt for the 7d.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »

tq0cr5i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 08:11:21 PM »
I would want a version 3 firmware for my EOS 5D Mark II if there was.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II;
CANON EF LENSES: 24mm F1.4L II, 24-105mm F4L, 40mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8 II, 50mm F2.5, 100mm F2.8L, 135mm F2L, 70-200mm F4L IS;
Canon SPEEDLITES: 430EX II, 90EX

briansquibb

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
Say the autoiso limit is set to 400 and the exposure would ideally require iso800.

How will it deal with that? Slow the shutter?Open the aperture or just flash the dot at the user?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:50:05 PM by briansquibb »

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 11:47:22 PM »
* metering linked to active AF-field in Spot metering?

Canon's iFCL color metering always factors in the active AF points. FOCUS, COLOR and LUMINANCE metering. Its weighted, and exactly what weighting it gets depends on your metering mode, but this has been around since the 7D was released (and is available in all other bodies that use iFCL metering, including the 5D III.)

Here are Canon's explanations:

iFCL Metering with 63 zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information for optimizing exposure and image quality

The EOS 7D features a 63 zone dual-layer sensor designed to complement the 19-point AF system. By taking into account the color and luminosity surrounding chosen AF points, this system delivers high levels of accuracy for better results even in difficult lighting situations. Since the metering sensor has a color measurement function, exposure errors and focus errors caused by different light sources are minimized; the EOS 7D gives stable exposure from shot to shot in situations where light changes, such as in a theater or concert hall. This makes the EOS 7D ideal for scenes with extreme difference in brightness such as brightly lit scenes or backlit scenes; the camera balances exposure of the main subject at the background, and exposures are not overly influenced by bright areas in the shot.

And:

Metering algorithm

To work with the iFCL metering sensor, the EOS 7D also features a specific metering algorithm. The EOS 7D always measures focus with all AF points regardless of the selected AF mode. During the exposure reading the EOS 7D looks to see which points, in addition to the selected point, have achieved or almost achieved focus. This information lets the camera know which part of the image is the subject. It then takes metering readings from the zones corresponding to the AF points that have achieved (or almost achieved) focus and combines them with readings from all the other zones. This allows for consistent shot-to-shot exposure, even in complex situations – for example, where there are reflections from a model’s glasses.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »
I am not excited. It's a long list but most items don't really do much for me - or most other 7D users.

Don't presume you are the supreme exemplar of all 7D users. Personally, as a 7D user, I find many of the new features to be very welcome. They are free, and they give new live to a my camera, rather than requiring that I buy a new 7D II THIS YEAR...something I don't have the funds to do. I believe the majority of 7D users are more like myself than you...welcoming FREE IMPROVEMENTS. The vocality here is a minority.

* Buffer size ... fine. Hardly ever take more than 5-10 shots in fast series anyway. I know, for sports shooters it is different. But I bet, 95%+ of all 7D users are not going to use 23 (25) RAW buffer more often than I do.

A deeper buffer is always a good thing. Its not about the number of continuous unbroken shots...its about how many full-framerate shots you can keep taking, even if they are in short bursts like 3-5 or 7-10 frames, before the camera has to start slowing down. Right now, with my bird photography, even though I usually only take 2-4 shot bursts for perching, wading, or standing birds and up to around 8-10 for BIF, its NOT infrequent that I find the opportunity to take multiple bursts one after the other, before the buffer is empty. A deeper buffer is VERY WELCOME...especially when paired with a higher speed CF card. I already get around 24-25 shots...this firmware update adds 7 more...which would mean I can get around 31-32 now. ABSOLUTELY NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT!!

* Auto-ISO ... upper ISO limit. Good. But still miles away from fully functioning Auto-ISO (as seen in the Nikon D800, D4). This impementation is still a lot inferior to Nikon's D7000

This is also a welcome feature. There are times when I would prefer to shoot at ISO 6400 and expose properly despite the noise, than shoot at ISO 3200 and have to boost in post. Noise is bad either way, however an extra stop is an extra stop, and from a shutter speed standpoint a single stop can be the difference between getting the shot and not. Again, most definitely welcome feature.

As for Nikon's functionality, the only thing the 7D is lacking vs. the D7000 is the minimum shutter speed option. The minimum shutter speed exists in Canon's direct competition to the D800 and D4, the 5D III and 1D X. There are some additional options on those cameras as they have corresponding camera HARDWARE to support them, such. This is just a firmware (software) update to an old camera, its not adding new hardware, so we can't expect additional Auto ISO features that require hardware counterparts. Competitively, Canon is pretty level here, and at least they are offering this enhancement to an existing and increasingly old camera body...FOR FREE.

* faster scrolling in zoomed playback ... fine. No big deal. Why not from the very start?

When your out in the field and you need to chimp quickly, better firmware performance is always a bonus. I like my birds eyes to be sharp, but good shots are always happening around you when birds are flitting about. Spending a lot of time zooming and panning to determine if a shot is a keeper or not is also a valuable thing. Better yet if performance is improved for those short video clips that are necessary to really capture what your subject is doing when a still doesn't do it justice.

Stop complaining. If you want what Nikon has to offer, ditch Canon and move to Nikon. Bitching and moaning about Canon when they DO GIVE YOU FREE S___ ain't going to make them your friend. It won't change the past either. Going forward Canon offers competitive features like in-camera retouching and better bracketing, as well as things like in-camera multiexposure or even things Nikon cameras can't always do...such as continuous shooting at a lower rate once the buffer is full (this is an area where Canon excels, but one where Nikon is hit and miss, miss more often than not). So if you stick with the brand, you won't be disappointed. But I don't think thats going to satisfy you...the only thing that will really satisfy you, based on your comments, is a Nikon camera. SO GO GET ONE ALREADY!
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

briansquibb

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 03:29:20 AM »

This is also a welcome feature. There are times when I would prefer to shoot at ISO 6400 and expose properly despite the noise, than shoot at ISO 3200 and have to boost in post. Noise is bad either way, however an extra stop is an extra stop, and from a shutter speed standpoint a single stop can be the difference between getting the shot and not. Again, most definitely welcome feature.

As for Nikon's functionality, the only thing the 7D is lacking vs. the D7000 is the minimum shutter speed option. The minimum shutter speed exists in Canon's direct competition to the D800 and D4, the 5D III and 1D X.

The AutoIso + max ISO will be very welcome. It certainly would make me think about keeping the 7D as a walkabout/shoot the family camera by maxing the ISO at 400. Still no details as to what will happen if the ISO wants to be higher than the max - will the shutter speed/aperture be altered or will the little dot flash at me?

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 04:35:36 AM »
The AutoIso + max ISO will be very welcome. It certainly would make me think about keeping the 7D as a walkabout/shoot the family camera by maxing the ISO at 400. Still no details as to what will happen if the ISO wants to be higher than the max - will the shutter speed/aperture be altered or will the little dot flash at me?

in Auto-ISO camera will adjust one or both of the two exposure parameters other than ISO if max. permissible ISO setting is reached.
Just tested it with lens cap on my 7D [current firmware - Auto-ISO max. = 3200].

Results are:
P ... will open aperture to max, raise ISO to max. [3200] and slow shutter time to camera max. [30"]; if this results in under-exposure, it will blink in the viewfinder [warning] but does NOT freeze shutter   

Av ... aperture setting will be maintained as long as possible, meaning it raises ISO to max [3200] and slows shutter time to max [30"]. If Safety Shift in C.Fn is enabled, it will override chosen aperture and open aperture all the way, otherwise it will stick to chosen aperture setting. If underexposure results, it will blink warning, but keep exposing.

Tv ... same as in Av ...  depending on Safety Shift on or off it will maintain chosen time value or slow all the way to 30" once ISO = 3200 and aperture = wide open.

M ... remains "M" ... meaning: you set time value and aperture, camera manages ISO up to max. [7D currently 3200] to achieve correct exposure. If this is not sufficient, it will expose and show you on the light balance at bottom of viewfinder, that exposure is to dark. As always in "M" ... at this point photog needs to slow time and/or open up aperture if still possible to achieve correct exposure ... if at all possible at ISO3200, open aperture and 30" shutter time ... which is a pretty low EV ;-)

With the new firmware, the only thing that will change, is that max. ISO limit can be user selected between ISO 400 and 6400.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 04:35:36 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 04:41:18 AM »
@AvTvM - Many thanks for confirming that

Now all we need is the min shutter speed and we get the faux M with ec through using AV

M with autoiso/ec would be good but I suspect min shutter speed would be easier

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 04:52:25 AM »
@AvTvM - Many thanks for confirming that
Now all we need is the min shutter speed and we get the faux M with ec through using AV
M with autoiso/ec would be good but I suspect min shutter speed would be easier

I cannot see any firmware/programming difficulty whatsover to enable EC in M mode as it is enabled in ALL  shooting modes [other than "M" and "B"]. I suspect all it would take is to change a "0 for No" to "1 for Yes" in one single byte of the EPROM for "M" mode.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 04:52:25 AM »