September 23, 2014, 10:56:17 AM

Author Topic: 7D Firmware officially announced  (Read 23005 times)

briansquibb

Re: 7D Firmware officially announced
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 05:13:32 AM »
@AvTvM - Many thanks for confirming that
Now all we need is the min shutter speed and we get the faux M with ec through using AV
M with autoiso/ec would be good but I suspect min shutter speed would be easier

I cannot see any firmware/programming difficulty whatsover to enable EC in M mode as it is enabled in ALL  shooting modes [other than "M" and "B"]. I suspect all it would take is to change a "0 for No" to "1 for Yes" in one single byte of the EPROM for "M" mode.

They already do this coding in the 1 series - so the code would just have to be transfered across

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 05:13:32 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2012, 05:36:48 AM »
I cannot see any firmware/programming difficulty whatsover to enable EC in M mode as it is enabled in ALL  shooting modes

A company designing the 1dx surely is capable of implementing much more features in firmware than are currently available. The question just is: What does Canon want? The answer: Maximize profit. This means: 1) minimize costs (like recycling the 5d2 sensor for the 5d3 and have as little support/testing for seldom used firmware features as possible). And 2) maximize money flowing to them (sell as as much cameras as they can and as expensive models as they can).

To achieve the sales goal, first they have to competitive, so they of course provide the basic feature set (like 3x bracketing) and cover up for problems (like in-camera hdr & multi-shot nr). Furthermore, they have to differentiate their products. And between mid-range and top cameras this will concern features that are important if you are an advanced photog. Examples of this are afma (dropped on the 60d for the 7d) and Ec on m (no dice on 5d) - so unless you can come up with a commercial reason for Canon to implement it, forget it.

It is very unfortunate Magic Lantern is not able to fix most things outside live view - but well, never look a gift horse in the mouth.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2012, 06:37:44 AM »
* metering linked to active AF-field in Spot metering?

Canon's iFCL color metering always factors in the active AF points. FOCUS, COLOR and LUMINANCE metering. Its weighted, and exactly what weighting it gets depends on your metering mode, but this has been around since the 7D was released (and is available in all other bodies that use iFCL metering, including the 5D III.)

I think you're missing the point.  Those long statements from Canon about iFCL metering which you posted are referring to evaluative metering, and yes, that's been weighted toward the selected AF point for a long time.  What AvTvM is talking about is spot metering, where the metering is done exclusively (not 'weighted' to some unknown fraction) at a small spot (1.5-4% of the field, depending on model).  On 1-series bodies, that spot metering areas can be immediately surrounding any selected AF point, whereas on all other current bodies, spot metering is only in the center, regardles of the AF point seleted (meaning if you want an off-center subject and you want to focus and meter specifically on that subject, you must meter-AELock-recompose-focus-shoot, vs. just shoot).

Try it yourself on a non-1-series - put an off-center AF point on a static subject that's much darker or brighter than the rest of the scene, meter using evaluative metering, then try spot metering right on that subject - you'll usually get a different exposure value, sometimes very different depending on subject and background.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2012, 06:41:54 AM »
When I look at the list of new features in the v2.0 firmware, I think: "Gee, there are some nice improvements there, a couple of them are even useful to me." 

Then I get this email from Canon.  I mean, I kow that exaggeration is Marketing's job...but...reallly?!?   :o

Then again, I suppose the truth, "We're throwing you a bone with the inclusion of a few features we delivered on newer, lower-end models," was too long to fit inside the center of the sunburst-type graphic...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »
Then I get this email from Canon.  I mean, I kow that exaggeration is Marketing's job...but...reallly?!?   :o

Omh, this is hilarious - if this wasn't you posting the picture, I'd say it's pure sarcasm from a Nikon troll :-> ... imagine what Canon could achieve if they gave 1/10th of their marketing staff a programing tutorial and put them into development to figure out and implement really useful features...

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »
Two Words: EXPANDED BRACKETING
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »
Two Words: EXPANDED BRACKETING

To say something good about Canon for a change: Nikon cripples its camera bodies even more, and there's no Magic Lantern to provide unlimited, automatic bracketing there. For example, the d7000 only allows for 3x +-2ev bracketing which is a known Nikon nuisance and often isn't enough for very high contrast hdr scenes...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »

DB

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »
Canon 7D Firmware 2.0 Update

In the video it is mentioned:

2 Figure based on updated firmware, ISO 100, Standard Picture Style and with UDMA 7 CF memory cards
Note: UDMA 7 CF memory card read/write speeds are not fully supported with the EOS 7D Digital SLR camera

Pardon me, I am trying to understand that. You have a speed increasement based upon use of UDMA 7 CF memory cards. But the UDMA 7 CF Memory card is not fully supported? Can someone explain what they mean here?
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »

Omh, this is hilarious - if this wasn't you posting the picture, I'd say it's pure sarcasm from a Nikon troll :-> ...

It is amusing. But I keep asking myself, would Canon be offering this firmware and hyping it to this degree if they were about to kill off the 7D series? These are the actions of a company trying to buy some time between upgrades, not a company about to radically reposition or dump a model.

As Neuro knows, there is all kinds of crazy talk going on in other threads. Fantasies about a new APS-H body being delivered to the masses by bigfoot riding a unicorn notwithstanding, I see this firmware announcement as an affirmation of the 7D series.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »
O, and another thing. What is it with the UDMA 7 and speed?

Sandisk is offering a 600x (90MB/s) 64GB CF and they mention it as: UDMA 6
Transcend is offering a 600x (90MB/s) 64GB CF and they mention it as: UDMA 7

Both have the same specifications but are not the same UDMA?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:01:40 AM by candyman »
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

John Thomas

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
@AvTvM - Many thanks for confirming that
Now all we need is the min shutter speed and we get the faux M with ec through using AV
M with autoiso/ec would be good but I suspect min shutter speed would be easier

I cannot see any firmware/programming difficulty whatsover to enable EC in M mode as it is enabled in ALL  shooting modes [other than "M" and "B"]. I suspect all it would take is to change a "0 for No" to "1 for Yes" in one single byte of the EPROM for "M" mode.

Hmmm... It might be if they already have the code in 7D's firmware, otherwise I don't think so. There are other things to be updated like the GUI, for example. Don't forget that EC gauge in M mode shows other things.

However this isn't a showstopper at all and they must do it, imho. Just pointing out that sometimes the things aren't so easy as it sounds.

CanonCollector

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »
The unexpected firmware that only makes this very good camera even better by adding new features beyond those you purchased it with is not good enough for you people? OMG

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »

jasonkrasnov

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »
The Canon 7D's firmware will be released in early August.

There will not be a Canon 7D Mark ii anytime soon and I would gladly buy a 3 year old Canon 7d for shooting photo and video. 

The new firmware has a lot of great updates with manual recording levels for sound.  This is a huge help for filmmakers and photographers transitioning into video.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
O, and another thing. What is it with the UDMA 7 and speed?

Sandisk is offering a 600x (90MB/s) 64GB CF and they mention it as: UDMA 6
Transcend is offering a 600x (90MB/s) 64GB CF and they mention it as: UDMA 7

Both have the same specifications but are not the same UDMA?

UDMA is the way in which the card can talk to the camera.

The speed is how fast the card can read/write internally.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »