Gear Talk > PowerShot

Scratches on front element of G11 - caused by lens cover?

(1/3) > >>

gmrza:
A while ago I noticed some scratches on the front element of my G11's lens, which seem to be getting progressively worse.  It would appear that the lens cover/shutter blades which close when the camera is switched off may be causing this.

I have seen a number of discussions on Flickr and other forums to the effect that the lens cover/shutter is causing this.

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, have you approached Canon about this, and what was their reaction?

mrmarks:
Could you post a photo of the scratches?

gmrza:

--- Quote from: mrmarks on June 28, 2012, 08:47:42 AM ---Could you post a photo of the scratches?

--- End quote ---

Here are some quick and dirty photos... The crops give a fairly good view of the scratches.  As you can see they run in the vertical direction - which is the same as the movement of the shutter/cover blades.

I am suspecting that Canon sailed a little too close to the breeze in designing the tolerances between the lens and the cover.  The camera in question is not heavily used (just under 11k shutter releases in just under 3 years).  My wife and I are very careful with our cameras, making sure never to touch lens elements.

Mt Spokane Photography:
That made me grab my wife's G11 and check it.  It is clean with no marks, but the cover is close.  I do not think that the plastics in the cover are hard enough to scratch glass. Its more likely that a grain of sand or two somehow got behind the cover and is grinding away.  Sand in point and shoot lenses mechanisms is a problem, it can blow in while you are using the camera and work its way into bad places.
I'd have it cleaned at a local camera shop.

gmrza:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on June 28, 2012, 06:33:53 PM ---That made me grab my wife's G11 and check it.  It is clean with no marks, but the cover is close.  I do not think that the plastics in the cover are hard enough to scratch glass. Its more likely that a grain of sand or two somehow got behind the cover and is grinding away.  Sand in point and shoot lenses mechanisms is a problem, it can blow in while you are using the camera and work its way into bad places.
I'd have it cleaned at a local camera shop.

--- End quote ---

Even though the shutter blades are much softer than the lens, the camera has been power cycled probably somewhere close to 2000 times at least - if you assume an average of 5 frames each time it is switched on.  I wouldn't be so sure that the cover/shutter blades wouldn't scratch the front element with that many passes over it.

I don't even know what a good life for a P&S camera is - this one has done close to 11k shutter releases, but I would think that at least 20k to 50k would be a reasonable expectation, given that it doesn't have a mirror box or focal plane shutter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version