July 23, 2014, 10:58:54 AM

Author Topic: Is SLR dead?  (Read 18094 times)

Astro

Re: Is SLR dead?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »
it´s not dead.

but the useless discussions about DSLR´s dead should die....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »

5dmarkii

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
I think that SLRs, like everything else, will eventually die, being replaced by the next thing...  when and how this will happen, only time will tell!  :)  I think mirrorless is the first step, and the fact that a lot of the P&S cameras are getting better and better!

Yes, but even if P&S reach SLR in terms of IQ, noise and ISO performance, we will not have the same DOF using small sensors....

You can safely assume majority of camera owners don't even know what is DOF.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
I think that SLRs, like everything else, will eventually die, being replaced by the next thing...  when and how this will happen, only time will tell!  :)  I think mirrorless is the first step, and the fact that a lot of the P&S cameras are getting better and better!

Yes, but even if P&S reach SLR in terms of IQ, noise and ISO performance, we will not have the same DOF using small sensors....

You can safely assume majority of camera owners don't even know what is DOF.

Let alone the Circle of Confusion around it. Pun Intended. ;D

Brymills

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
I've gone the other way.  After a succession of point and shoots I bought an Olympus Pen when they were first launched.  It was ok, but (un)fortunately it got nicked and gave the opportunity to buy a 7D.  I wish I'd bought the 7D instead of the Pen, but I'm glad I didn't have it when my luggage was stolen.  I'm off to buy a Panasonic GH2 tomorrow as although I love my 7D I want a second camera that's a bit smaller and lighter, and people keep nagging me about doing videos, so I can use the continuous autofocus for lazy video clips.  I think the market for entry level DSLRs will shrink, but not the high end / Pro market, or at least not for a while.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
One way to determine this, is to look at sales.  DSLR sales are rising, Mirrorless sales are rising, but P&S sales  are dropping.
Are P&S Cameras dying?  Camera phones, Ipads, and mirrorless are eating into their sales, they only made just short of a billion sales of P&S last year.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »
Following are couple of shots with my Samsung Nexus Phone camera, which work OK when lighting is good.  It is utter cr**^ in anything less than optimal light, though.
Those are pretty impressive for a camera phone though, the resolution seems great

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 02:08:27 PM »
If I could get a Mirrorless than can take my 70-200mk.ii with full functionality and ISO perf of my 5diii, I would not miss the Mirror reflex one bit.

We Americans are Dogmatic when it comes to adoption of new technology in General (even if we are at the forefront of innovating sometimes). We are just set in our ways. One day when Canon announces the discontinuation of mirror boxed bodies, how many will jump ship? and what if Nikon followed suit? What then.

The DSLR is dead soon... but not all the functionality it provides.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 02:08:27 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 02:09:27 PM »
Following are couple of shots with my Samsung Nexus Phone camera, which work OK when lighting is good.  It is utter cr**^ in anything less than optimal light, though.
Those are pretty impressive for a camera phone though, the resolution seems great

Agreed, Amazing perf!  you could have said it came from a D800E and we would not have given it a second look.  ;D
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
If I could get a Mirrorless than can take my 70-200mk.ii with full functionality and ISO perf of my 5diii, I would not miss the Mirror reflex one bit.
We Americans are Dogmatic when it comes to adoption of new technology in General (even if we are at the forefront of innovating sometimes). We are just set in our ways. One day when Canon announces the discontinuation of mirror boxed bodies, how many will jump ship? and what if Nikon followed suit? What then.

The DSLR is dead soon... but not all the functionality it provides.
+1...plus AF is good as 5D III
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
By the time P&S reach SLR standards, SLR will be that much farther ahead.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »

I wholly disagree with this.

The discussion is not about the demise of the SLR, but the future of imaging. That's well worth discussing.

it´s not dead.

but the useless discussions about DSLR´s dead should die....
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
in the long run… yes

In the long run, we are all dead.

Not until you can hold the camera up to your eye and actually see what you are shooting as clearly as you can with today's SLRs.

I don't know man. I am not sure it will be THAT long. Just read a post which reports in Japan the mirrorless market share is already over 40%, In taiwan it's over 50%. Even worldwide, the percentage grew from 10% in 2010 to 22% in 2011. People still favor SLR in this country, maybe because we vacation more on cars rather than feet(even in mountains!), so the weight benefit is less significant.

I actually like the LCD screen more than eye level. Sure eye level is clearer, but the LCD screen gives you more realistic view how the photo would eventually turn out, sort of like the old fashioned TLRs. And LCD gives you so much more information than just apeture/shutter.

Anyway, I have used SLR/DSLR for 20 years plus a few TLRs, never owned any P/S or rangefinder until the J1, but the Mark II is probably going to be my last SLR ever.

I do agree some day phone camera may replace mirrorless as well, the smaller the better!

This makes the assumption that the growth in mirrorless is at the expense of DSLR sales though when I believe the latter are infact increasing. Long term I can see mirrorless replacing some or all of the lower end of the market and moving into the "rangefinder" slot at the higher end but right now I think its mostly replacing P&S sales.

At the top of the market though I think the sizes of lens your dealing with will help keep SLR's alive, why go with a smaller mirrorless when you want to balance out a 1 kg 2.8 zoom on the other end?

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
With Google gearing up for a pair of wearable glasses, and the Television market embracing {O}LED screens at more affordable prices, it will be inevitable.
Wearable glasses? Where can I preorder a pair of these?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 04:08:27 PM »
yes. SLR is dead. My current one may very well be the last one I ever purchased. Especially if somebody finally comes along with a killer FF mirrorless cam at a reasonable non-Leica-esque price tag. :-)

KitsVancouver

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »
Look at two other consumer trends:
Music Quality
Video Quality

There was a time when people sat down and listened to music.  Today, people just download compressed music.  there are always going to be audiophiles, but they are the minority.  I'm one of them, but I know it's not the norm. 

Then there is Blu-ray.  Where can you rent those today?  How big is the Blu-ray section in your local electronics retailer?  Again, I've got a movie set-up at home, but I'm the minority.  I didn't think people would ever watch movies and video on small screens, but it's happening.

On one side, we have quality...image quality, video quality, sound quality.  On the other side, we have convenience, weight, on-demand, cost, etc.  I don't know if SLRs will diminish in sales numbers, but for all those that don't think it's even a remote possibility, those people aren't looking outside of their own world. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »