October 20, 2014, 07:52:34 PM

Author Topic: Is SLR dead?  (Read 19044 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: Is SLR dead?
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2012, 03:36:53 AM »
@orangutan
A mirrorless pro-level camera with a 3chip design would allow closer to 100% of incident light to be used, and without the other problems introduced by the Bayer pattern (sharpness).  I.e., would you rather have a 36MP camera with a Bayer pattern, or a 24MP camera with 3 individual color sensors, and three times the light absorption?  (Yes, of course I pulled those MP numbers out of the air, but it's got to be cheaper to build three lower-density sensors, without Bayer or AA filter, than a single higher-density sensor with Bayer and AA.)

Being from a video background I've often considered this very point.  The Bayer grid has crap chroma resolution (but underpins it with full luma resolution, to be fair) I've looked at the foveon and fuji superCCD's etc and wondered could these, combined with a canon digic be any better?

The arguement against 3ccd cameras is the sheer bulk of the dichroic prism.  It would vastly increase the depth of a camera body, once the prism, extra sensors (mounted perpendicular to lens mount) and flange depth were accomidated.

This is managable with 1/3rd, 1/2, 2/3rd sensors in large ENG bodies.  Forget it with m43 or APS-C let alone full frame sensors.

If you need an example of this google the minolta RD-175.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2012, 03:36:53 AM »

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »
The arguement against 3ccd cameras is the sheer bulk of the dichroic prism.  It would vastly increase the depth of a camera body, once the prism, extra sensors (mounted perpendicular to lens mount) and flange depth were accomidated.

If you need an example of this google the minolta RD-175.

Interesting.  It appears that a lot of the bulk came from the mirror assembly and relay optics needed to make the whole thing work.  A mirrorless version likely could be smaller. 

Fun speculation; we shall see...

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2012, 10:11:07 AM »
The DSLR market as it is today really doesnt depend on the average Joe if you ask me, the average Joe was happy with his compact and is now probabley happy with his camera phone so never bothered with a DSLR in the first place.
Go to any major vacation destination and it will blow your mind how wrong you are. There are usually as many, if not more, users with a DSLR than there are with a compact camera. And its only going to be more true as people aren't gonna supplement their iPhone with a P+S camera, they'll supplement it with a m4/3 camera or a DSLR. Now, many of them are wasting the potential of a DSLR, by putting a super-zoom on the front, never learning settings, and using it like a P+S; but without those users, DSLR's would cost 2-3x what they do.

Canon would never had considered things like a touch-screen if they didn't care what the average joe was used to.

It depends what you consider the "average joe" I spose, for me even someone using auto modes and a superzoom is likely to have alot more interest in the quality of there photos than the average man on the street.

These people probabley owned a compact camera for years before DSLR's prices dropped and quality increased. They've already made there choice as to how much they value quality and I think DSLR's have more to worry about from smaller options that can produced the same quality than they do compacts or camera phones.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:59:06 AM by moreorless »

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
Phone cam vs P&S:

The camera built into the HTC Amaze far exceeds the P&S cameras I own: Olympus 850 SW and Canon Power Shot G2.

Unfortunately, the bluetooth feature of the HTC Amaze really sucks for my uses, so it has been replaced by a HTC Sensation, and that camera is still quite good (but it lacks the Sweep Shot function found in the Amaze that works rather well).

In my experience, the phone cams or P&S models do not come close to the functionality of a DSLR.

It took a long time for me to go back to the (D)SLR format after getting my first digital P&S camera which basically replaced all of my film shooting, but never quite matched the 35mm film camera experience. The expense of the digital part held me back along with the evolving technology. I paid something like $800 for my G2 when it was new... not exactly chump change at the time. I still do not "like" this disposable digital camera technology where one can spend over a thousand dollars on something that becomes obsolete unlike a 35mm film camera.

I know a couple of people that have those Sony digital mirrorless cameras with the OVF, and I am not impressed at this time, but that tech will catch up. 
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2012, 10:50:40 AM »
the phones camera doesnt excedes anything…except for the nokia one with a big sensor size
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2012, 01:26:47 PM »

The expense of the digital part held me back along with the evolving technology. I paid something like $800 for my G2 when it was new... not exactly chump change at the time. I still do not "like" this disposable digital camera technology where one can spend over a thousand dollars on something that becomes obsolete unlike a 35mm film camera.

I know a couple of people that have those Sony digital mirrorless cameras with the OVF, and I am not impressed at this time, but that tech will catch up.
Unfortunately, you bought the G2 at the "Infancy" of digital camera. I bought the G1. I spent more than $800.  You can spend less than $800 to get a Rebel with a semi-decent lens now. I do not think it is fair to call the digital camera a " disposable technology". Whether you want to obsolete your digital camera is a frame of mind. I know people that are using 4 or 6 years old DSLR and P & S.  They are perfectly happy. I also know people that will change camera every year because they want to be up front with the newest ( may not be better than what they have already owned). Also The amount of pictures being taken per digital camera per year is a lot more than film camera. Just imagine if you take 5000 picture a year, what will it cost you. Most people will take 5000 digital picture per year without thinking about it. Even in the film days, most camera maker will come up with new model every other years. So it is the situation for the people that will chase the newest model.

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »
A few thoughts :

I have an Olympus OM2-SP (Spot/Program) SLR dating from the mid-1980s. It is black, and I was very lucky to find such a mint example on eBay in perfect working order. It is a Beautiful Thing (TM). I caress it and admire it. Owning it, and the 50mm f/1.2 lens and the 55mm f/1.2 lens, makes me Happy. It's about 27 years old and mint, as is the 50/1.2.

I am also lucky enough to own a 5D3 and a 7D. The 5D3 especially is also a Beautiful Thing. It actually makes the 7D feel plasticky! And the 7D is NOT plasticky!

But in 27 years' time, apart from the fact that I'll be dead, will the 5D3 be usable? Unfortunately, I fear not. I doubt that USB will be around in any compatible form, or indeed compatible card-readers.

On the other hand, although 35mm film, and will by then be a rare commodity indeed, and processing services more so, I expect that film SLRs will still be usable, for those who really want to use them.

The film SLR could in a sense be seen as an "heirloom". Maybe not so much for an Olympus camera, but consider a Leica M-series rangefinder film camera. They are heirlooms. The M9? No, it can't be; it won't have the necessary longevity, I fear.

I find this all rather depressing. The 5D3 and the M9 and so on are wonderful, high-quality pieces of engineering, but they seem doomed to be ephemeral.

I don't REQUIRE my 5D3 to last many years; if I'm still around and into photography and still cashed up in 4 years' time, no doubt I'll buy a successor, but that's not the point I'm making. It seems a shame that such wonderful things won't last 20, 30, 50 years and still be usable by most people.

(I'm just old and sad!)
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »
Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 are backwards compatable, and these will be the ports used for the next 10 years, beyond that will folk deem USB 2.0 devices worthy of use (By that time canon might be making a lightfield 3D DLR and 2D is seen as old hat, who knows...)?

For example, a 10D will not work with windows 7.  So folks who own and still use them (and why not?  Perfectly servicable camera that can deliver good A4 prints) have to use a card reader.

Will JPEGS still be around in 20 30 years time?  Will CRW files be readable?

I do know that I am finding it harder and harder to track down anything other than basic colour 200 or 400 print 35mm film these days.  In the UK Jessops carry less and less, Jacobs have shut down, and a trip to the calumet store isn't always that easy (when I do make it they seem to have more reduced out of date film in a sale bin than fresh film in the fridge)

High street film developing is starting to disappear with Boots the chemists reducing their capacity by around a third.

In 20 30 years time?  Again hard to tell, will film reach a level of consolidated user base where a few labs are viable (such as with super8?)

And whilst your OM2 is servicable today, what will happen if it breaks in 20 or 30 years time?  Will anybody have the skills to repair the old shutter?  Will there be enough parts or bodies to salvage for parts?

My 7D takes great pics, my AF works and I process my RAWs with proven NR settings.  It will still take great pics in 10 years time, unless I drop it, or something burns out, but when the Rebel T7 / 1500D is in the shops and has better AF, better low noise, and 40MP and costs £300 will I be as loyal?

Maybe the answer is modular cameras ala medium format...  buy a new back, buy a new AF prism etc.

briansquibb

« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »
Who can tell what will happen

Here is a picture taken on my 2001 D30 + 50 f/1.8 last week - D30 cost £35 - about $55. 3mp. 3 AF points, iso OK to 400 :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:52:26 PM by briansquibb »

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »

Here is a picture taken on my 2001 D30 + 50 f/1.8 last week - D30 cost £35 - about $55. 3mp. 3 AF points, iso OK to 400 :D

subject does not look happy. Probably he resented being photographed with such outdated and cheapo gear.  :P  ;D

A static, brightly-lit subject like this could equally well be taken with any mirrorless system camera on the market today.  That's no challenge. Try small kids or playing dogs with your D30 ... that's when it gets interesting and where you need a tracking-capable Servo-AF rather than a sorry old 3-point system.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:23:38 PM by AvTvM »

briansquibb

« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2012, 05:49:19 PM »

subject does not look happy. Probably he resented being photographed with such outdated and cheapo gear.  :P  ;D

A static, brightly-lit subject like this could equally well be taken with any mirrorless system camera on the market today.  That's no challenge. Try small kids or playing dogs with your D30 ... that's when it gets interesting and where you need a tracking-capable Servo-AF rather than a sorry old 3-point system.

You missed the point - we are talking about using old cameras - this is already 11 years old

Well lit? Indoors under tungsten, 1/40, f/2.8, iso200. Sorry but the old 3 point AF still is accuate without AFMA. Who cares if it is mirrorless - totally irrelevant. It has servo mode although I can't vouch for its speed.

However the 2007 1DS3 tracks at least as well as any crop + 5D/5D2.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »

it better. The thing cost an arm and a leg more than any mirrorless system on the market.

Except the Leica M9, which is mirrorless but still does not count here, as it is nothing more than a anachronistic 1960's technology rangefinder with a digital sensor instead of film. :-)

But again ... for static subjects and sufficient light, almost any camera will do. 

briansquibb

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »

it better. The thing cost an arm and a leg more than any mirrorless system on the market.

Except the Leica M9, which is mirrorless but still does not count here, as it is nothing more than a anachronistic 1960's technology rangefinder with a digital sensor instead of film. :-)

But again ... for static subjects and sufficient light, almost any camera will do.

@AvTvM

You feekin OK m8 - thats two posts where Canon didn't get a jab. You could have said that in 2001 Canon were struggling to keep up with Nikon. Although in 2001 I suppose Nikon had nothing to match the D30 - the grandaddy to the Rebels.

Keep on trolling m8 - makes me larf

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
I'm suprised you didnt get an old school 1Dmk1 with the 4MP kodak sensor
I sold mine for $500 a little while ago
they still take decent pics and while have tones of pattern noise still have pretty decent
iso performance up to 800
also for such an old duck still has a bad ass 45 point AF
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
I'm suprised you didnt get an old school 1Dmk1 with the 4MP kodak sensor
I sold mine for $500 a little while ago
they still take decent pics and while have tones of pattern noise still have pretty decent
iso performance up to 800
also for such an old duck still has a bad ass 45 point AF

$500 - I could have had one of those and a D800 for the price of the 5DIII

Mind you I would not have used the d800 because of the missed pictures due to the low fps :D  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »