September 21, 2014, 02:40:18 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Successors [CR1]  (Read 22406 times)

jpk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Successors [CR1] APS-H
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »
APS-H is a dead end to me. Only FF or APS-C are valid formats as far as I'm concerned. Why would I upgrade from my 7D to an APS-H body when the FF bodies, used, are a very viable upgrade path. There are many for sale with low mileage and a very nice price. APS-H is a tween format that will suffer from those that want to go FF, can't afford new but maybe can buy used. I think Canon should reserve the APS-C format for all their consumer grade bodies with perhaps a semi pro body at the high end of the line while having a low end prosumer FF body at the base of their pro line. Just my thoughts.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon EOS 7D Successors [CR1] APS-H
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Successors [CR1]
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
APSH 7DII sounds good to me

Snowcones and popsicles in hell sound good, too, and just about as likely...  :P

I think hell has just as much chance of existing as this camera :P

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 11:06:22 PM »
The level of crazy here may be reaching an all-time high.

Let's take it a step further. Instead of a some stripped-down crappy full-frame "entry level" camera, why not an APS-H entry-level camera instead? Sensor would be cheaper than full frame so Canon could undercut Nikon. Could be about the size of the 60D with similar build quality. Less processing power needed than full frame. Better frame rate, etc.

And, since we're going crazy here: designed to use APS-C lenses. (Why should physics get in our way?)

Now, even I could be interested in a body that turns my 15-85 EFS lens into a 20-110mm equivalent.  Of course, I would still want a 7DII, but I'd consider something that makes my lenses wider at the short end worth considering. Since I've already got the Tokina 11-16, it would be sweet to use it as a 14 mm with no vignetting.

Maybe it's really full frame that needs to go the way of the dinosaurs.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
What kills APS-H for me is that there are no wide angle lenses for it that aren't curved surface front elements. (Wide angle would require either the 8-15 fish eye or something like the rumored 14-24.)

The 16-35 becomes a 21-45 (for example).

For APS-C, there are lenses like the 10-20.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 11:16:32 PM »
I'm genuinely interested to find out how many APS-H critics actually owned or have regularly used a 1D body that has the sensor  ::)

ultra wide angle problem?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=997698

13*1.3 = 16.9

takes 77mm filters and works on current existing APS-H bodies

by all accounts its a pretty kick arse lens too
APS-H Fanboy

jpk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »
APS-H. Why? I really see no point in it anymore. It served a purpose when FF was wildly expensive and APS-C wasn't up to the IQ. It had an added advantage of faster frame rates and a higher useable ISO, great for low light level sports shooting. Now, with improvements in IQ in other sensor formats, the reason no longer exists for the format to hang around. It really is a no mans land for formats.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 11:41:29 PM »
I'd say if you do like it, get a used 1D Mark IV, either on amazon or ebay, because I'm thinking a lot of people will sell when their 1D X's arrive.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 11:41:29 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »
APS-H. Why? I really see no point in it anymore. It served a purpose when FF was wildly expensive and APS-C wasn't up to the IQ. It had an added advantage of faster frame rates and a higher useable ISO, great for low light level sports shooting. Now, with improvements in IQ in other sensor formats, the reason no longer exists for the format to hang around. It really is a no mans land for formats.

From Canon's point of view it could mean that their lens R&D only has to worry about EF lens if APS-C development is not at the high end - and we get more high quality, budget lens like the shorty forty instead

maxxevv

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 01:03:24 AM »

From Canon's point of view it could mean that their lens R&D only has to worry about EF lens if APS-C development is not at the high end - and we get more high quality, budget lens like the shorty forty instead

Just to add, it would serve as a bridge between EF and EF-S lenses and as Brian suggests, allow them to concentrate their efforts on EF lenses without alienating existing EF-S lens owners. A high quality camera that allows the full utilization of both formats ( that is provided it has EF-S crop compatibility mode). 

It would also be attractive to EF glass owners who want a higher-speed camera without paying mortgage for one. Something that has say ~8-9fps, minimum current 7D typish AF module (the 1dMkIV AF would be really awesome though..) ... Under US$2500/-.  And in a 7D or 5DMkII body format.

It would be a really attractive camera to a lot of people. And as Canon has always like to do, explore hidden niches of the market with a high potential which no competitor can touch for sometime.

But as with almost all ideas here, nobody knows for sure what are Canon's considerations in the overall scheme of things.  ???

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 01:19:14 AM »

I have to respectfully disagree with you.  From my experience, APS-H IQ is far better than APS-C the latitude available in the raw files was night and day when I shot both the 1DIV and 7D.  APS-C is getting better every generation, but APS-H is still the closest you can get to FF IQ without going FF.  If you can live without the extra reach and aren't strictly posting your shots to the web, the older tech of APS-H still beats APS-C and comes very close to FF IQ.  IMO, Canon would be crazy to shelve such good tech, but stranger things have happened in the past....
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 01:35:51 AM »
loool

I said before looong before his rumor..... a APS-H 7D2 will be something unique on the market without any direct rival from the competition ( Nikon, Sony, Pentax). The perfect combination between High ISO/extra reach.

A perfect backup body for professionals wildlife and sports photographers (1DX users) , and a perfect tool for semipro wildlife/sports photographers.

The downside of this move will be no entry level FF camera from Canon.

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 01:55:13 AM »
What kills APS-H for me is that there are no wide angle lenses for it that aren't curved surface front elements. (Wide angle would require either the 8-15 fish eye or something like the rumored 14-24.)

The 16-35 becomes a 21-45 (for example).

For APS-C, there are lenses like the 10-20.

The APS-H sensor/cameras are designed especially for wildlife/sports. A very small number of wildlife/sports photographers want/need a ultra wide lens on APS-H.

Who knows maybe we will see a ultra wide EF affordable lens with the 7D2 announcement.

To be honest how many of us will need a wider lens than 16-35/17-40 on a sports/wildlife designed camera???

If the rumor is true 7D2 will be a market killer and no need for a entry lvl FF body.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:01:32 AM by nicku »

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:16 AM »
I keep saying APS-H is just too good to shelve.  It doesn't give up very much to the 5DIII sensor as it is.  I wouldn't hesitate to add a 1.3 7D to my stable.  :)

Could this be the 120mps monster they showed a couple of years ago - that would wipe the smirk of the D800 fanboys  8) 8) 8)

Are there any lenses for the EF mount that are sharp enough to resolve 120MP?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:16 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 03:53:33 AM »
APS-H is a dead end to me. Only FF or APS-C are valid formats as far as I'm concerned.

I'd ask both of you if you have ever owned an APS-H body? Dead End or No Man's Land? Try working with them.

I've had four starting with the original 1D. And over 1 million APS-H frames. Probably my favourite cameras ever are the 1D MkIIn & the 1D MkIV. Alongside these I've always had FF & APS-C as well. The extra reach with minimal IQ compromise is brilliant. I'll shoot a glossy DPS, full page or billboards with the 1DMkIV with total confidence. If I need full wide there is always the FF body. Photographers who use and value APS-H will miss it badly. Some are buying extra 1D MkIV bodies.

PW

briansquibb

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 04:09:36 AM »
APS-H is a dead end to me. Only FF or APS-C are valid formats as far as I'm concerned.

I'd ask both of you if you have ever owned an APS-H body? Dead End or No Man's Land? Try working with them.

I've had four starting with the original 1D. And over 1 million APS-H frames. Probably my favourite cameras ever are the 1D MkIIn & the 1D MkIV. Alongside these I've always had FF & APS-C as well. The extra reach with minimal IQ compromise is brilliant. I'll shoot a glossy DPS, full page or billboards with the 1DMkIV with total confidence. If I need full wide there is always the FF body. Photographers who use and value APS-H will miss it badly. Some are buying extra 1D MkIV bodies.

PW

+1

I bought the 1D4 as a replacement for a 7D. A couple of weeks use and I wouldn't go back to the 7D now. The 1D4 and 1DS3 account for about 90% of my shots

My 1DS2 and 7D split the rest (they are second used as second bodies so I have the right lens mounted)

Whilst I really like the 1D4 images, they are stunning in comparison to the 7D, I just wish they had that little extra the 1DS3 brings at low ISO.

The 5DIII I wouldn't consider a contender for a 7D upgrade

Perhaps the 1DX will do that, IQ plus fps - the ultimate 7D upgrade?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 04:09:36 AM »