November 24, 2014, 04:55:06 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Successors [CR1]  (Read 23876 times)

maxxevv

Re: Canon EOS 7D Successors [CR1]
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »
No it probably will not.

The 8-16 and 12-24 have almost identical FOV's. I can use the full range of my 12-24 on my 5DmkII, I don't see why you can't for the 8-16.

AND as I pointed out earlier, you just have to use the X-pro filters and compatible kits as only those are wide enough for the 12-24mm.   Anything smaller won't cut it. It needs at least a 127mm diameter filter. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2012, 08:46:11 AM »
Here you are then

First shows 8-15 and the height of the dome and how close the top ot the hood is in height . The filter would be about the same height

Second shows the image at 8mm, clearly show a lot of the inside of the hood - that is where the light would come from. Put a mount there and the visual image would be blinkered

I am guessing a 200mm square filter would be needed - perhaps off a MF

I have no need of a filter so haven't persued it any further

Eimajm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2012, 08:47:32 AM »
More megapixels for the 70D.... why do you need more megapixels on a prosumer camera? Its unlikely  enthusiasts are going about printing bigger than A3. Stop with the megapixels and put the R&D into better noise and DR not trying to cram more photosites on when its not needed.

ICE

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
Stone writes  APS-H is far better than APS-C . . .
That maybe, but the FF is far better than the APS-H.

And said before but . . .
Why should Canon produce a APS-H sensor?
The R&D department needs af larger budget and will there be sold enough APS-H cameras?
And the APS-H camera will canibalize from 1DX, which is not that expensive any more.
And the APS-H camera in the "old days" was made for getting more fps than the FF camera could achieve. Now you have 14 fps, the finest of ISO etc. So why bother about the APS-H.
And the IQ and DR of the FF and the APS-C talks for not making a APS-H sensor.
So sorry guys.

ICE

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2012, 08:54:33 AM »
More megapixels for the 70D.... why do you need more megapixels on a prosumer camera? Its unlikely  enthusiasts are going about printing bigger than A3. Stop with the megapixels and put the R&D into better noise and DR not trying to cram more photosites on when its not needed.

Ever so right.  :) 18MP is enoug for prosumers. Better ISO, IQ and DR is far more important.  8

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2012, 09:30:38 AM »

Ever so right.  :) 18MP is enoug for prosumers. Better ISO, IQ and DR is far more important.  8

Except that Sony and Nikon already offer more megapixels for the prosumer in equivalent bodies.

Heck, the Nikon D3200 has 24MP and is on a par with the 5D Mark II in terms of IQ.

So there's Canon's challenge: deliver a crop camera with IQ equal to that of the 5D Mark II.

briansquibb

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »

Except that Sony and Nikon already offer more megapixels for the prosumer in equivalent bodies.

Heck, the Nikon D3200 has 24MP and is on a par with the 5D Mark II in terms of IQ.

So there's Canon's challenge: deliver a crop camera with IQ equal to that of the 5D Mark II.
Any reviews of the D3200 yet?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »
More megapixels for the 70D.... why do you need more megapixels on a prosumer camera?

Useful for cropping when I'm focal-length or magnification limited.

If more pixels weren't useful for this, teleconverters would also be useless, and they are not.  Even our old optics can do well with a 2x TC on an 18MP 1.6-crop sensor, thus indicating that sensor could go to 72MP and still provide benefit even to an old zoom lens (100-400L).

100-400L + 2x on T2i:
http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/T2i__3574%20edited.jpg

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:58 AM »
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/canon-eos-7d-successors-cr1/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/canon-eos-7d-successors-cr1/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/canon-eos-7d-successors-cr1/"></a></div>
<strong>The prosumer market up next?<br />

</strong>Now that Canon has addressed the “professional” space with the 5D Mark III, 1D X & 1D C (Yes, I know some want the big megapixel camera), it could be time to turn our attention to the “prosumer” space. We keep hearing bits of information about what’s planned for the segment in the coming months.</p>
<p><strong>The 70D</strong><br />

The latest I have heard, and spoken about before, is that we’ll see the 70D move up the line. It’ll be specced close to the current 7D, however with a new higher megapixel APS-C sensor.</p>
<p><strong>The 7D X</strong><br />

The rumor that won’t go away is that the APS-H sensor will return to the Canon lineup and fit between the 70D and 5D Mark III. Is it really possible? Maybe. I don’t think Canon needs more APS-C cameras beyond the Rebel, a 70D and possibly a mirrorless entry.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I may have to smite you for that line about the APS-C 7D... Oh, wait, we can't smite each other! Now, I must attempt to resort to logic, or at least emotion and rhetoric.  ;D :'( :o 8)

On a serious note, I REALLY want the 7D mk II to be APS-C. If it bloats to APS-H, I will be enraged, though my wrath would be mitigated if they bumped the MP up to around 24ish, to stave off the effects of the lost distance...

The R&D department needs af larger budget and will there be sold enough APS-H cameras?
And the APS-H camera will canibalize from 1DX, which is not that expensive any more.
And the APS-H camera in the "old days" was made for getting more fps than the FF camera could achieve. Now you have 14 fps, the finest of ISO etc. So why bother about the APS-H.
So sorry guys.

Exactamundo. Now, let us be rid once and for all of the mad thoughts of bloating the 7D sensor.
What is truth?

briansquibb

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2012, 09:54:46 AM »

The 1D4 is better than the 5DII so perhaps far better is an overstatement?

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »
APS-H Sensor for 7D X???....wow this must be a dream  ;D
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »
First shows 8-15 and the height of the dome and how close the top ot the hood is in height . The filter would be about the same height

Second shows the image at 8mm, clearly show a lot of the inside of the hood - that is where the light would come from. Put a mount there and the visual image would be blinkered

I am guessing a 200mm square filter would be needed

The answer was already provided...

...needed a custom solution for the light leakage...

So, a barrel-mounted or Plamp type holder for a custom fabricated convex glass filter.  Should only set you back a few thousand $/£/€...  Oh, and while your at it, have someone grind down that hood on the 8-15mm fisheye...

::) :P :-X
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

briansquibb

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »

So sorry guys.

We are looking at lifting the internals of the 1D4 and putting them in 5DIII body

16 mps, 10fps, good high iso, good IQ, 1.3 reach, good AF, f/8 AF, metering on AF point etc. This would make a good upgrade for the 7D - I know, I did the 7D to 1D4 upgrade. We know the APS-H is proven at higher mps so upgrades there can be anticipated

APS-C does not match APS-H in anyway and will probably end up in Csc, EVILs etc at the lower end. This trend has already been started by other manufacturers eg NX20. That means that APS-H will become the new entry level sensor.

Look forward to it - APS-H as entry level is mind blowing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »

So sorry guys.

We are looking at lifting the internals of the 1D4 and putting them in 5DIII body

16 mps, 10fps, good high iso, good IQ, 1.3 reach, good AF, f/8 AF, metering on AF point etc. This would make a good upgrade for the 7D - I know, I did the 7D to 1D4 upgrade. We know the APS-H is proven at higher mps so upgrades there can be anticipated

APS-C does not match APS-H in anyway and will probably end up in Csc, EVILs etc at the lower end. This trend has already been started by other manufacturers eg NX20. That means that APS-H will become the new entry level sensor.

Look forward to it - APS-H as entry level is mind blowing.

FF>>>APS-H>>>APS-C  8)

maxxevv

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
Here you are then

I am guessing a 200mm square filter would be needed - perhaps off a MF

I have no need of a filter so haven't persued it any further

Good grief ... in the context of APS-C and APS-H ...  I really thought you were talking about the Sigma 8-16mm  !  :o

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/8-16mm-f45-56-dc-hsm-sigma

Which really is the basis of what I was talking about on 'equivalent FOV' .... 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »