September 30, 2014, 06:56:21 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Successors [CR1]  (Read 22697 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Successors [CR1]
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2012, 02:19:36 AM »
APS-H is D.E.A.D.

You forget one very important aspect of the whole picture: The marketing perspective

The marketing perspective is that  APS-H cannot command the same price as FF.
For example, which of these two cameras would you rather buy:
  • 5DIII: $3500
  • 5DIII-SP (SP=sports), with 16mp 1.3x sensor and 8fps: again, $3500

So, would you pay $3500 for the 5DIII-SP?

If you feel that the 1.3x version should cost less, you know the answer why Canon will never make it  8).
Yes, if it had the 1Dmk4 AF including f8 capability, it would flat out wipe the floor with any APS-C in IQ terms
i'm assuming you are basing the 8FPS on an extrapolation of the DIGIC 5+ processing power to deliver 6FPS for the 22MP FF 5Dmk3. while the new AF system is nice and all this camera would benefit significantly more by keeping the robust AF of the 1D4 and giving people the f8 functionality back.

however I like my idea better of a 22MP APS-H sensor with 14MP crop mode delivering 6FPS and 10FPS respectively
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2012, 02:19:36 AM »

MYB

« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2012, 04:16:40 AM »
Hi,
I think Canon needs a compact APS-H ( 5D body ) whatever it calls 7DII or something else. Bigger sensor gives better IQ and still have a bit reach for outdoor and if Canon keeps the f/8 AF advantage for using teleconverter, it satisfies a lot people.
Yes we can't use EF-S lenses on APS-H ( and comes out an ultra wide angle problem ) but it's Canons problem not mine. I can buy a Sigma DC or Tamron Di II. These lenses are causes only a bit vignette at the corners. But it's not bad at all. And if you don't want it you can crop the photo ( to 1.5, 1.6 ) when you will use it.
For example, if Canon makes a 22 MP APS-H and i have a Sigma 10-20mm DC. When i crop it to 1.5 still i have a 15mm 16MP photo ( x1.6 ~ 14MP ). I think 16MP is enough for most of people. Maybe Canon makes a crop mode.
Of course i'm not a professional and these are my opinions.

(I am not good at English. If i said something wrong, apologies).

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2012, 05:19:59 AM »
There's no way the 7D replacement will not accept APS-C lenses. So no sensor bloat - that's just silly.

APS-H is D.E.A.D. It was only there for faster frame rates compared to FF. It was a compromise. Canon solved this with the 1DX. The whole point of a crop-sensor lens in a semi-pro body like 7D is just that - the crop factor! Otherwise you'd just get the 5DIII. My left nut to say that APS-H will never ever see the light of day ever again in a new body - it makes absolutely zero sense.

You forget one very important aspect of the whole picture: The marketing perspective

The APS-H sensor have no direct competitor

Do you ever recall seeing the 1D cameras advertising mentioning that it was APS-H or that it was a 1.3 crop and not a 1.6 or 1.0 crop?

briansquibb

« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2012, 07:30:50 AM »
There's no way the 7D replacement will not accept APS-C lenses. So no sensor bloat - that's just silly.

APS-H is D.E.A.D. It was only there for faster frame rates compared to FF. It was a compromise. Canon solved this with the 1DX. The whole point of a crop-sensor lens in a semi-pro body like 7D is just that - the crop factor! Otherwise you'd just get the 5DIII. My left nut to say that APS-H will never ever see the light of day ever again in a new body - it makes absolutely zero sense.

The APS-H sensor have no direct competitor

Do you ever recall seeing the 1D cameras advertising mentioning that it was APS-H or that it was a 1.3 crop and not a 1.6 or 1.0 crop?

Yes  it has been in most of the brochures

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2012, 07:59:28 PM »
there are a couple of amusing outcomes

1.  If there is no APS-H body announced, I observe that the 1.3x fans will be a mite disappointed but largely accepting of the decision, while they figure out Canon's strategy re:  reach versus IQ and how it applies to them.  Meanwhile,  the "APS-H is dead" crowd will do the snoopy dance and say I told you so

2.  If there is an APS-H body announced, the 1.3x fans will do the snoopy dance and say I told you so, but the "APS-H is dead" crowd will have to seek therapy

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
there are a couple of amusing outcomes

1.  If there is no APS-H body announced, I observe that the 1.3x fans will be a mite disappointed but largely accepting of the decision, while they figure out Canon's strategy re:  reach versus IQ and how it applies to them.  Meanwhile,  the "APS-H is dead" crowd will do the snoopy dance and say I told you so

2.  If there is an APS-H body announced, the 1.3x fans will do the snoopy dance and say I told you so, but the "APS-H is dead" crowd will have to seek therapy

ROFL Nice summary, for me personally I would also just get a 1Dmk4 and live with the bulky body :P
unfortunately they are to cumbersome to do the snoopy dance with though
APS-H Fanboy

Eimajm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »
More megapixels for the 70D.... why do you need more megapixels on a prosumer camera?

Useful for cropping when I'm focal-length or magnification limited.

If more pixels weren't useful for this, teleconverters would also be useless, and they are not.  Even our old optics can do well with a 2x TC on an 18MP 1.6-crop sensor, thus indicating that sensor could go to 72MP and still provide benefit even to an old zoom lens (100-400L).

100-400L + 2x on T2i:
http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/T2i__3574%20edited.jpg

That's like saying I'm shooting birds with a wide angle and need the extra pixels for cropping. Not really the right tools for the job.

I routinely need a zoom lens for shooting at long focal lengths because I'm shooting aircraft and they move quickly.  They move so quickly that handholding is required.  How many handholdable fast autofocus zoom lenses does Canon make longer than 400mm?  It's common for me to crop to 800-1200mm equivalent focal length, and those extra pixels are a big help.

Now, if Canon wants to make a nice, affordable, handholdable 100-1200 f/4-f/5.6, I'm all for it but I don't think that will happen any time in the foreseeable future as we don't even have materials that could meet those specs.

Well you are shooting at the same field of  view of pros I follow who shoot FF with 600s they crop minor for composition. Perhaps you need to improve your technique rather than 'need' more pixels. Shooting planes miles in the sky and cropping to way over 50% of the image is never going to give quality no matter how many pixels you have.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »