July 28, 2014, 03:42:10 PM

Author Topic: Climbing Mt Fuji in August  (Read 2281 times)

Meadowfresh

Climbing Mt Fuji in August
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »
Good evening everyone,

Sorry if this is not the correct section to post this. I am currently seeking some advice on what gear I should take with me on my Mt Fuji climb in August. I have never done an overnight hike before, let alone one to see the sunrise.

I currently have a 40D

70-200L F4 (UV & Cir Pol Filters)
17-40L F4 (UV Filter)
50 F1.8

I am thinking about bring both the 70-200 and the 17-40 with me. I sold my tripod when I moved to Japan but I am thinking about picking one up for the trip. Most likely a Manfrotto 190Xprob (with out a head).

Do you think it is worth while taking the tripod? And is there anything else you would recommend maybe a Cir Pol for the 17-40mm?

Thank you very much for the help.

canon rumors FORUM

Climbing Mt Fuji in August
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »

kiniro

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing Mt Fuji in August
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »
I'd say bring lots of extra batteries!  From what I've heard batteries die quickly in cold weather.

87vr6

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »
First, I'm jealous you're going to climb 富士山 to watch the sunrise.

Second, I would bring the camera and the 17-40 and that's it. No need for a telephoto. And the prime, well, maybe carry it, it's not too big or anything.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »
If weight is an Issue, I would take a G1X and a small tripod. You'll have more important stuff to take than just a camera. First Aid, A Good Knife, Food, Utensils, Flash-lights, sleeping bad and tent or hammock, Fire kit, ETC. You want to be as light as possible.

If Weight is not an issue, Take whatever you want. ;D

Meadowfresh

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »
Cheers for the replies.

I have a couple of batteries which I will take with me so should be ok...

Space/weight wont be to much of an issue. But I will probably just take the 17-40mm Lens with me.

I forgot to mention I have a 580ExII, I don't think I will take it with me unless someone has a good reason why I should?

Cheers.  :)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »
Cheers for the replies.

I have a couple of batteries which I will take with me so should be ok...

Space/weight wont be to much of an issue. But I will probably just take the 17-40mm Lens with me.

I forgot to mention I have a 580ExII, I don't think I will take it with me unless someone has a good reason why I should?

Cheers.  :)

Use it as your flash light and keep those mountain lions away  ;D
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »
next time I climb a mountain with a camera i'm only taking a gorillapod with me
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:54:24 PM »
If weight is an Issue, I would take a G1X and a small tripod. You'll have more important stuff to take than just a camera. First Aid, A Good Knife, Food, Utensils, Flash-lights, sleeping bad and tent or hammock, Fire kit, ETC. You want to be as light as possible.

If Weight is not an issue, Take whatever you want. ;D

When hiking Mt. Fuji, he won't need any of that stuff as there is a lodge near the top of the mountain which serves curry and has sleeping bags for everyone.  There is also numerous checkpoints and a boatload of people do the climb so it's pretty safe. 

The only thing here that might be good is a head lamp or a flashlight.  And if so, i'd go with a LED one as it is a long hike and the batteries will last and if you are slow you'll reach the lodge after nightfall.

Personally, I would just bring the wide-angle lens to cut down on weight.  Mt. Fuji is not an easy climb if you've never been hiking before.  Also, you might have trouble setting up a tripod at the top as it will be swamped with people.

One hint, if you have another camera ready, you can have one takign a shot of the sunrise, and another taking a shot of Mt. Fuji's shadow stressing out from teh base of the Mt..  It ends up being close to a perfect triangle and is pretty excellent looking.
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »
Everything I shot on the Mt Fuji summit was wide. At the time that was a 24 f/1.4 on FF. But I'd certainly take the 70-200 with you as well, particularly if you are a strong hiker. A lot of the walk is on a crumbly cinder track, some sections can be almost as tiring as walking through soft sand-dunes. But the summit is a treat. Good luck for a clear morning.

PW

l0pht

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 02:40:02 PM »
PowerShot honestly, I do quite a bit of mountaineering and you don't want any extra weight.  If you are doing some alpine or rock climbing it's a different story.  The lightest, most versatile equipment is your best friend.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 02:40:02 PM »