Canon Rumors General > Japan

Hello from Okinawa Japan

(1/6) > >>

blaydese:
Hello from Okinawa Japan! 
To keep this short, I'll just list things:

1.  I live and work on Okinawa Japan, work for
DOD and love living here.  My wife is Japanese
and our kids were born here, now age 12 & 14.
2.  I'm 42.
3.  I've been taking pictures since I was about
12 years old. (Not pro, just as a hobby, I've got
about 300GB worth of pictures now)
4.  I've been looking for a DSLR forums for about
a month now, and Canon Rumors seems about right.
5.  dpreview is just way too much and thus needed a
forum that is mostly about Canon products.
4.  Yup, you guessed it, I bought my first DSLR last
week.  After months and months of searching and
reading I landed on the 60D:

a) Water and Dust resistant
b) Affordable
c) Popular and most folks seem to think
it's a good starting camera.
d) Lots of accessories, third party parts that fit it.
e) Warranty and the AAFES extended warranty;
if I throw it against a wall, w/lens they'll replace
it for free for two years.
f) Sensor / 18MP
g) Video quality (Kids events etc.)
h) Astronomy Photography
(Yeah could have gone with 60Da,
but got no $$ for that one) 
i)  I want a heavy, bulky camera, (Yeah crazy huh?)

(There will be a whole another post on
the camera, questions, etc. coming up,
so I'll stop there.)

5.  Owned many point and shoot, hybrid
and SLR Film camera in the past.  Time to
get with the big boys and girls.  And learn
a DSLR, Canon has some great video's on YT.
6.  I've had a few pictures published in
military magazines over the years.
7.  I'm a HDR landscape and nature preference
kind of guy.  But I want to get into studio/
portrait, live action, and more.
8.  I'll be asking the same old dumb new
guy questions so please "bear" with me. 
I will do a search each time, but I'm only
finding answers to my questions already
about 40% of the time.

I sign off each post with the word "Peace!"
I'm not a hippie, I'm not anti-war, I just
think we should all learn to chill.

Oh and I'm Retired Army. 80% disabled veteran.
Go Army!  Beat Navy!
Peace!  8)

Mt Spokane Photography:
Welcome to CR.  The Canon 60D is a very nice camera, I expect a replacement model with more features to be announced soon, perhaps a touch screen, autofocus while taking video, optimized for the new STM lenses, etc.  It might be worth waiting.
My main arguement against the 60D is that you can not use AFMA to fine tune the autofocus to match any AF error in your lenses.  It doesn't matter too much with the kit lenses and their smaller apertures / depth of field, but when a user decides to go for a wide aperture f/1.8 or f/1.4 lens, for example, they will always benefit from fine tuning, the alternative is to send the lens and camera body to be adjusted, and then the next new lens will be off.

blaydese:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on June 29, 2012, 08:27:35 PM ---I expect a replacement model with more features to be announced soon, perhaps a touch screen, autofocus while taking video, optimized for the new STM lenses, etc.  It might be worth waiting.
--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on June 29, 2012, 08:27:35 PM ---
--- End quote ---

I know, it's the Canon 4Ti (650D)
Too late, already got the 60D.
The 4Ti did not have some things I wanted.

What is STM lenses, that I did not know about?

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on June 29, 2012, 08:27:35 PM ---My main arguement against the 60D is that you can not use AFMA to fine tune the autofocus to match any AF error in your lenses.
--- End quote ---

Okay, wosh!  Right over my head, I have no idea what you're talking about.   :-[

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on June 29, 2012, 08:27:35 PM ---It doesn't matter too much with the kit lenses and their smaller apertures / depth of field, but when a user decides to go for a wide aperture f/1.8 or f/1.4 lens, for example, they will always benefit from fine tuning, the alternative is to send the lens and camera body to be adjusted, and then the next new lens will be off.
--- End quote ---

Again, whaaaattt? 

I want to get a 50mm lens soon, the cheap one, like 100 bucks, will that look like crap now?

Okay, some quick questions.

1.  How many external speed lights can you control with the 60D?  2, 4, 8, 20 ?  I can't find that anywhere and I want to do some BIG outdoor urban night shooting and want to place some about 26 meters away (Max distance, I did find that out).  I'm thinking I'll need speed light triggers right? 

2.  My Canon SX20 can zoom to 80x, my 60D is only as good as the lens that is on it, what lens will equal the 80x zoom of the SX20?  (Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget.)

3.  Where is a good place to buy on-line a second or third battery?  I KNOW there has to be a thread on this, but when I search, too many results come up and I get no answer after reading about 20-30 threads.  Just more questions.

4.  Other than ebay, where can a guy find used camera equipment, astro phto equipment, etc. I'm looking for a used one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/87j3bdj

Thanks,
Peace!
--- End quote ---

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: blaydese on June 29, 2012, 08:06:06 PM ---4.  I've been looking for a DSLR forums for about
a month now, and Canon Rumors seems about right.
5.  dpreview is just way too much and thus needed a
forum that is mostly about Canon products.

--- End quote ---

:-) Welcome to the forum, just be sure not to get cornered by "Canon doubles the price" and d800 vs. 5d3 infighting that has lead to high tension over the last months...

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on June 29, 2012, 08:27:35 PM ---but when a user decides to go for a wide aperture f/1.8 or f/1.4 lens, for example, they will always benefit from fine tuning

--- End quote ---

You can get around afma by buying a new lens that fits the body, we all know that but it's extremely tiresome anyway (Thanks, Canon!).

But you're saying afma is *always* required? Is this based on your experience, or is it really that unlikely to get a Canon f1.4 lens that doesn't need afma? And for a little afma, you have to do detailed testing with professional chart-gear as far as I understand it?

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on June 29, 2012, 08:27:35 PM ---the alternative is to send the lens and camera body to be adjusted, and then the next new lens will be off.

--- End quote ---

True and very annoying, but only the case if you have multiple small aperture lenses. With f2.8 the dof seems to be so large that afma isn't required, so if you only add one fast prime to it you still should be fine with one trip to Canon service.

blaydese:
* Correction, 30GB not 300GB worth of pictures. LOL!

Peace! 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version