Hello from Okinawa Japan!
To keep this short, I'll just list things:
1. I live and work on Okinawa Japan, work for
DOD and love living here. My wife is Japanese
and our kids were born here, now age 12 & 14.
2. I'm 42.
3. I've been taking pictures since I was about
12 years old. (Not pro, just as a hobby, I've got
about 300GB worth of pictures now)
4. I've been looking for a DSLR forums for about
a month now, and Canon Rumors seems about right.
5. dpreview is just way too much and thus needed a
forum that is mostly about Canon products.
4. Yup, you guessed it, I bought my first DSLR last
week. After months and months of searching and
reading I landed on the 60D:
a) Water and Dust resistant
c) Popular and most folks seem to think
it's a good starting camera.
d) Lots of accessories, third party parts that fit it.
e) Warranty and the AAFES extended warranty;
if I throw it against a wall, w/lens they'll replace
it for free for two years.
f) Sensor / 18MP
g) Video quality (Kids events etc.)
h) Astronomy Photography
(Yeah could have gone with 60Da,
but got no $$ for that one)
i) I want a heavy, bulky camera, (Yeah crazy huh?)
(There will be a whole another post on
the camera, questions, etc. coming up,
so I'll stop there.)
5. Owned many point and shoot, hybrid
and SLR Film camera in the past. Time to
get with the big boys and girls. And learn
a DSLR, Canon has some great video's on YT.
6. I've had a few pictures published in
military magazines over the years.
7. I'm a HDR landscape and nature preference
kind of guy. But I want to get into studio/
portrait, live action, and more.
8. I'll be asking the same old dumb new
guy questions so please "bear" with me.
I will do a search each time, but I'm only
finding answers to my questions already
about 40% of the time.
I sign off each post with the word "Peace!"
I'm not a hippie, I'm not anti-war, I just
think we should all learn to chill.
Oh and I'm Retired Army. 80% disabled veteran.
Go Army! Beat Navy!