July 24, 2014, 12:43:25 AM

Author Topic: The 7D for half price  (Read 6522 times)

Infrared_Fred

The 7D for half price
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:22:13 AM »
I Have a friend who is a Technician for Canon who let me in on a little secret when i was thinking of buying the 7D as my full time Forensic Camera,He told me that if i want all of the good features of the 7D with the traditional focusing system meaning it will do "dark" and it will AF on fast moving targets, he had me interested and then when he told me that with my discounts and such i could have one for less than half the price of the 7D i was hooked and i said when does it hit the market, to which he smiled and said it's already here , the Rebel T3i is a 7D in disguise he said almost all the boards and such in the T3i are the same board numbers that the 7D calls for for typical problems and if you look the specs up on the 2 cameras they are almost identical, also the 60D is a Rebel T2i. I hope this info helps someone save money.

The price of your camera does not make you a pro the camera is a tool its whats in your mind that makes that tool a Pro !!

canon rumors FORUM

The 7D for half price
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:22:13 AM »

paul13walnut5

Re: The 7D for half price
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:39:30 AM »
For video the 600d is arguably better.  For anything requiring extreme speed of frame rate or sophistication of af they are as distinct as chalk and cheese.

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »
Then there are things like shutter accuation life and build quality to consider. Both are important depending on how you will be using your camera.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

crasher8

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:59:06 AM »
Not to mention size. Those of us with larger hands have serious issues with XXXD size bodies.
Plus I could add to this list so many other thing……silly.

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
if you want i can sell my 450D for half the price of 7D... it's the same camera with a different sensor :D
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

able 1039

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
I Have a friend who is a Technician for Canon who let me in on a little secret when i was thinking of buying the 7D as my full time Forensic Camera,He told me that if i want all of the good features of the 7D with the traditional focusing system meaning it will do "dark" and it will AF on fast moving targets, he had me interested and then when he told me that with my discounts and such i could have one for less than half the price of the 7D i was hooked and i said when does it hit the market, to which he smiled and said it's already here , the Rebel T3i is a 7D in disguise he said almost all the boards and such in the T3i are the same board numbers that the 7D calls for for typical problems and if you look the specs up on the 2 cameras they are almost identical, also the 60D is a Rebel T2i. I hope this info helps someone save money.

The price of your camera does not make you a pro the camera is a tool its whats in your mind that makes that tool a Pro !!
What in the hell are you smoking? May I have some?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »
Sure, the same main board with dual digic processors, the same shutter, the same controls.  Someone is playing games here.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »
Not to mention size. Those of us with larger hands have serious issues with XXXD size bodies.
Plus I could add to this list so many other thing……silly.

... or even 7D and 5DII bodies

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
You can get the same IQ from both the recent Rebels and the 7D, shooting RAW, they have the same sensor. But the question is how easy is it to get that shot, how high a keeper ratio can you achieve, can you do high speed continuous shooting for sports etc. Do your lenses need AFMA. The 7D also streams higher res video out the HDMI port (though not clean and only 720p).

Rebels are absolutely fine while you are waiting for the next generation to appear, I shot with a couple waiting for the 5D3, and they are nice and compact backups in a pinch or B/C cams for video. Also nice for lightweight shoulder rigs and the newer ones have the articulated screen.

The 7D just got new firmware but it wasn't enough, nowhere near the Magic Lantern feature set for video. It's an old camera now, and the next generation shouldn't be too far off. I would get the Rebel now if I wasn't willing to pay for the 5D3 personally, but if I shot sports or wildlife and needed the reach and fps, the 7D would probably pay off handily over the Rebels.

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »
I have heard there was a firmware HACK that activated Spot Metering on a600D/T3i.  If these two cameras (7D and 600D) are so close in hardware specs, it would be nice if the 7D firmware could be applied to a 600D to activate the hidden features.  I don't think this is possible.... but I could be wrong. :o

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »

This has to be the funniest post i have clicked on in a long time. Sorry... But where exactly you say you friend is working. It brings back to mind the guy in the trench coat from Sesame Street, " Hey bud.... Wanna buy .... Shhhh ....some air..."

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »
Sure, the same main board with dual digic processors, the same shutter, the same controls.  Someone is playing games here.

Not to mention the 7D destruction test that that Chinese guy with the english accent did on DIGITAL REV .... I would pay money to see the hard plastic Rebel go thru the same.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
@lopicma
I have heard there was a firmware HACK that activated Spot Metering on a600D/T3i.  If these two cameras (7D and 600D) are so close in hardware specs, it would be nice if the 7D firmware could be applied to a 600D to activate the hidden features.  I don't think this is possible.... but I could be wrong. :o

1. Spot metering is there on the 600D as standard, along with Evaluative, partial and centre-weighted.  2nd red menu, third item down.  No hack required.

2. They are not close in terms of hardware...  7D has double the chip read off and twin image processors not to mention a seperate AF processor.  The twin processor seems to have been the barrier to hacking by some accounts on the various magic lantern discussions.  I'm not tech savvy enough to know if this is indeed the case, but as all the single processor cameras have been successfully hacked, the shoe does fit.

3. Magic Lantern runs on the 600D, and is actually a different firmeware that adds rather than 'unlocks' many different features, with the exception of the addition of intermediate ISO steps, I don't think it adds anything that the 7D has that the 600D hasn't.  I shall defer to those with better knowledge of the hack.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »
Magic Lantern runs on the 600D, and is actually a different firmeware that adds rather than 'unlocks' many different features, with the exception of the addition of intermediate ISO steps, I don't think it adds anything that the 7D has that the 600D hasn't.  I shall defer to those with better knowledge of the hack.

Magic Lantern people would like to insist that this is not a "hack" but an add-on that - due to non-cooperation by Canon - relies on using reverse-engineered firmware hooks and digic registers. But there is no security system circumvented, only a flag in the firmware is set that Canon uses for in-house development.

But you're right, I also cannot come up with a thing added to lesser bodies that already exists on the 7d. The main blocking thing here is that ml can only use firmware hooks Canon "provides", and thus mostly is limited to do things either in live view or "remote control" the camera for things like focus stacking, bracketing and so on.

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
I think that the only similarity between these two bodies in all honnesty is that they have the same sensor. Thats a real plus for the Rebel and a real shame for the 7D, and that speaks volumes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »